LA Schools Realize Giving Every Kid an iPad Was a Costly Disaster, Will Give Every Kid a Laptop Inst

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
If you want America to compete in the future, putting technology in the hands of all students is the key. That being said, you can do that and still have accountability, which seems like this district did not have.

This may be shocking, but the Nordic/Scandinavian countries have been doing this, and don't face these issues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schoolreport/26689320
The American school year is still linked to harvesting and planting crops :mjlol:
Its a joke, and in need of true reform before we begin throwing more money at it.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
The American school year is still linked to harvesting and planting crops :mjlol:
Its a joke, and in need of true reform before we begin throwing more money at it.

I've asked you a thousand times: how do you reform without funding the reform (aka throwing money at it)?

I'll wait again for your non-answer.

无名的

Superstar
Daps
First by cutting outdated curriculum, consolidating education boards, encouraging school choice, putting parents on the hook and reducing teacher pay.

Granted it was awhile ago, but my senior year I had like 2 study halls, Latin, life skills, and gym one quarter. shyt is unacceptable.

:scust:

Schools need visionary thinkers who mandate pertinent curriculum. The problem is a lack of qualified teachers who can teach these types of subjects, but I'm still pissed my high school wasn't offering Chinese, Arabic, Russian, etc. And my high school is consistently ranked as one of the best in the country. Those are the teachers that need paid.

I'm putting my son in a Mandarin immersion elementary school that will get him fluent before middle school. That boy got it good. Growing up on the beach being fluent in Chinese while I had to grow up in dreary fukking Ohio with my one shytty language.

:beli:

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
First by cutting outdated curriculum,

Needs funding. Cutting what? Replacing it with what? Who decides? Do you pay the people who decides?

consolidating education boards,

Requires funding. Consolidating them in what way? By District? By Zone? By County? By State? Who decides?

encouraging school choice,

Requires funding, tax payer funding.

putting parents on the hook and reducing teacher pay.

Putting parents on the hook? How? Who does it? Is it someone's job to do it? How will it be documented?

Reducing teacher pay? Why? The national average, taking into account multiple ranges of experience and cost of living variance, is ~55K. That's an absurd amount for people who raise and educate our children and youth?

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.

1-Needs funding. Cutting what? Replacing it with what? Who decides? Do you pay the people who decides?

2-Requires funding. Consolidating them in what way? By District? By Zone? By County? By State? Who decides?

3-Requires funding, tax payer funding.

4-Putting parents on the hook? How? Who does it? Is it someone's job to do it? How will it be documented?

5-Reducing teacher pay? Why? The national average, taking into account multiple ranges of experience and cost of living variance, is ~55K. That's an absurd amount for people who raise and educate our children and youth?

1- Cutting a long list of outdated curriculum which i'll assume we agree exist. If we don't agree, and you are suggesting none of the curriculum is outdated, then we'll look at it. Replace it with more critical thinking curriculum, and the skill needed for todays job market. IMHO no kid should be graduating high school without being type... learning to code should be an elective replacing french, for example. Who decides? "Schools need visionary thinkers who mandate pertinent curriculum." is what it comes down to, and yes you would pay him, but he would be filling a position that already exist ie superintendent.

2- By County. State Govt. can decide.

3- Sure, but the weakening of teacher unions is ultimately in the best interest of the children.

4- Tuition is really the best way, but that isnt gonna fly... I dont know, I just know there needs to be some accountability, and that the really smart people at the top should be thinking of a way to make it happen. :yeshrug:

5- "That's an absurd amount for people who raise and educate our children and youth" pure emotion :wow:. Pay should be tide performance, not time on the job...

:whoa: I'm not in education, and I don't claim to have all or even some of the answers, I'm just saying we need to be discussing this, and reaching a middle ground where we are giving our children the best we can.
Funding reforms like this isnt what is meant by throwing money at the problem... but I think you already know that.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
I remember I was watching the news when they first announced this. Five minutes later they ran a story on how they're shutting down schools and cutting after school programs in poor LA areas.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
I'm hearing that teachers are letting kids do assignments with their smartphones. For example the teacher will start the class and say "you have 10 minutes to tell me everything you know about slavery in Brazil" and the students can do so.

The reason I was told they are doing this is because parents freaked out about kids not being able to talk with their kids especially in an emergency situation, even though phones in many districts are/were forbidden. Teachers were getting upset when they heard a phone go off in someones book bag and would call the principal down to the room to search every bag until they found the phone and other time wasting things related to phones. Another they are doing is allowing kids to use phones in the hallways and during lunch. Some teachers will tell kids to put their phones in a net on the wall, sort of like they do for classroom calculators. Technology is in the building, literally, when it comes to schools.