Lack of Black Male Mentorship

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Starting to notice a lack of Black Male Mentorship in corporate America. I'm at a point where business world is teaching me harsh lessons even at 35 . I have reached out to some high ranking black male I can find l .Simply put you ring the door bell they will talk to you thru the screen door but they don't or won't let you come into the house .I don't know if it's intimidation because of credentials,education but OLDER black men seem hesistant when it comes to giving advice to younger black male professionals.Are these older civil rights cats jealous?If they paved the way mentorship should be easy.Sad if whites wanna help more then the blacks in corporate :francis:
I agree. If I would have read this 7 months ago I would be angry and upset as well. I learned some hard lessons in the past 3 years. Didn’t have anyone to put me up on game, but I’m past that point now.

I had the same experience, where people would say they want to help you but they only give you so much game, because if you surpass them then their job is on the line. It’s a scarcity mindset. On a certain level I can’t knock someone for preserving their career and their way to feed their family. That’s human nature :yeshrug:

But once I left that type of environment and got into entrepreneurship, I got 2 legit mentors and it makes a HUGE difference. The difference between what I do now and my old job is the abundance vs scarcity mindset. Those old heads are so insecure they want to keep you down, so they’ll do anything in their power to maintain they position. If I can call it how I see it, they’re bytch ass nikkas.

Once I stopped begging for a seat at their table and started building my own, my life is considerably better. I understand not everyone will start their own business but that’s my 2 cents.

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree. If I would have read this 7 months ago I would be angry and upset as well. I learned some hard lessons in the past 3 years. Didn’t have anyone to put me up on game, but I’m past that point now.

I had the same experience, where people would say they want to help you but they only give you so much game, because if you surpass them then their job is on the line. It’s a scarcity mindset. On a certain level I can’t knock someone for preserving their career and their way to feed their family. That’s human nature :yeshrug:

But once I left that type of environment and got into entrepreneurship, I got 2 legit mentors and it makes a HUGE difference. The difference between what I do now and my old job is the abundance vs scarcity mindset. Those old heads are so insecure they want to keep you down, so they’ll do anything in their power to maintain they position. If I can call it how I see it, they’re bytch ass nikkas.

Once I stopped begging for a seat at their table and started building my own, my life is considerably better. I understand not everyone will start their own business but that’s my 2 cents.

If you don't mind me asking, how much capital did you start your business with, what field of work is it in, and what's the ROI been like?

Rocket Scientist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
High IQ

Congrats on business and much success hope you exceed alll the way.Yeah I feel ya it's like the lunch table mentality you wanna be at the table with the ones who seem cool then u realize forget it I rather sit alone.Old heads are very insecure .Their mentality was different these older blacks were ones who were on some pull your bootstraps kiss ass mentality .Us younger folks are on some build our own shyt,take shyt from no one. Older folks complain alot about the new way and young generation.Im type if I make it to too I'm gonna help some young buck out,alot of young black men are loss in workplace world.

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Congrats on business and much success hope you exceed alll the way.Yeah I feel ya it's like the lunch table mentality you wanna be at the table with the ones who seem cool then u realize forget it I rather sit alone.Old heads are very insecure .Their mentality was different these older blacks were ones who were on some pull your bootstraps kiss ass mentality .Us younger folks are on some build our own shyt,take shyt from no one. Older folks complain alot about the new way and young generation.Im type if I make it to too I'm gonna help some young buck out,alot of young black men are loss in workplace world.
crazy part is it was people of all races. I don’t wanna get up here and say it was only black people.

Other races will make it known they don’t rock with you. Some black people will smile in your face, but when it comes down to it still sell you down the river. It is what it is. I told myself I’m done with that job environment completely. That may not be for everyone though

If you don't mind me asking, how much capital did you start your business with, what field of work is it in, and what's the ROI been like?
In the trucking industry. When you have your own authority there’s guys making 6-10k a month net. But you need damn near 35-40k cash for all the down payments. More if you don’t want to finance. I don’t have my own authority so expect to make about 4K a month if there are no breaks downs.

I also get small business owners funding for their business. Anywhere between 60k-100k+ in either personal or business lines of credit. Usually before they’re ready for funding they need to repair their credit, structure it properly, and add tradelines. Then we run through a funding sequence, and get them their lines of credit.

Rocket Scientist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
High IQ
crazy part is it was people of all races. I don’t wanna get up here and say it was only black people.

Other races will make it known they don’t rock with you. Some black people will smile in your face, but when it comes down to it still sell you down the river. It is what it is. I told myself I’m done with that job environment completely. That may not be for everyone though

In the trucking industry. When you have your own authority there’s guys making 6-10k a month net. But you need damn near 35-40k cash for all the down payments. More if you don’t want to finance. I don’t have my own authority so expect to make about 4K a month if there are no breaks downs.

I also get small business owners funding for their business. Anywhere between 60k-100k+ in either personal or business lines of credit. Usually before they’re ready for funding they need to repair their credit, structure it properly, and add tradelines. Then we run through a funding sequence, and get them their lines of credit.
I see your point people gonna people :manny: but it's 10 times worse when it's us messing up opportunities for us. I don't expect Becky to help me in corporate America I expect her to try to sabotage me . When it's an older black man who been thru some shyt and he doesn't wanna help impart knowledge or advice that surprises me shyt cuts at the core. I'm a glass half full person but I realize that team player shyt is just a motto You truly have to be a selfish jerk to succeed.Im not whining just reality :manny:

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I see your point people gonna people :manny: but it's 10 times worse when it's us messing up opportunities for us. I don't expect Becky to help me in corporate America I expect her to try to sabotage me . When it's an older black man who been thru some shyt and he doesn't wanna help impart knowledge or advice that surprises me shyt cuts at the core. I'm a glass half full person but I realize that team player shyt is just a motto You truly have to be a selfish jerk to succeed.Im not whining just reality :manny:
I feel you. It’s fcked up:mjcry:

I hope you can achieve what you set out to achieve in your profession. For me I had to dip:wow:Told myself I don’t need to put up with it

Rocket Scientist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
High IQ
I feel you. It’s fcked up:mjcry:

I hope you can achieve what you set out to achieve in your profession. For me I had to dip:wow:Told myself I don’t need to put up with it
Appreciate it bruh and I will just got to adjust and change some things but I ain't tripping.At this point I'm gonna be the me for I never had .Teach these young cats the ropes

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Starting to notice a lack of Black Male Mentorship in corporate America. I'm at a point where business world is teaching me harsh lessons even at 35 . I have reached out to some high ranking black male I can find l .Simply put you ring the door bell they will talk to you thru the screen door but they don't or won't let you come into the house .I don't know if it's intimidation because of credentials,education but OLDER black men seem hesistant when it comes to giving advice to younger black male professionals.Are these older civil rights cats jealous?If they paved the way mentorship should be easy.Sad if whites wanna help more then the blacks in corporate :francis:

find a blank mentor not in your company and/or a competitor company.

there’s no future threat situation and almost all their advice will be applicable to what ur going through at ur company.

I had the same issue as u did. I had a few black men I wanted to learn a lot from, but it was just very surface level. They wouldn’t share closely held contacts etc. I reached out to a black ceo in an adjacent industry. There’s a lot of overlap with what I do and what he does but it’s still two completely different sectors.

He was my first investor, vouched for me to get a loan, helped me understand the political game and has introduced me to some mega players(all white men) in my industry.

Venture outside your industry

Rocket Scientist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
High IQ

there’s no future threat situation and almost all their advice will be applicable to what ur going through at ur company.

I had the same issue as u did. I had a few black men I wanted to learn a lot from, but it was just very surface level. They wouldn’t share closely held contacts etc. I reached out to a black ceo in an adjacent industry. There’s a lot of overlap with what I do and what he does but it’s still two completely different sectors.

He was my first investor, vouched for me to get a loan, helped me understand the political game and has introduced me to some mega players(all white men) in my industry.

Venture outside your industry
I appreciate it bruh and exactly what I'm gonna and have to do.

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Dope. Don't think any of these are necessarily of interest to me, but I'm curious as to how you decided on these / how you got here. Looking to find my own side hustle.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Its even worse that these black mentors are practically non-existent in the tech industry :mjcry:

Gotta trial-n-error your way into success. But sadly buy the time you get there you may be too jaded and bitter to even be a good mentor to anyone :wow:

Also we had a the only black intern here at work. She never asked for help from me not a single time. She would message the cacs and ask them when she got stuck. The funny thing is everyone knew im way more skilled than the cacs except for her. We would talk during lunch and outside of work but she somehow never looked at me as someone who could give her good advise and help her level up skillwise. She thought i was just affirmative action hire with no solid skill.

Such a shame because there was so much game i could give but whats the point if the youngin already feels like u cant tell em shyt.

She didnt even end up getting hired after her internship and her white male team mate got the gig.

I wasnt surprised cause she didnt know shyt, but that white guy wasnt much better than her to deserve that job either. I felt sorry for her :wow:

Last edited:

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Its even worse that these black mentors are practically non-existent in the tech industry :mjcry:

Gotta trial-n-error your way into success. But sadly buy the time you get there you may be too jaded and bitter to even be a good mentor to anyone :wow:
For tech you got to go to conferences and network. I can count on my hand the number of black people that work in IT at the corporate office of my company. I'm sure its the same at many companies. I get various conferences, training, meet and greets invites from various vendors in my field. A lot of them are no cost to me other than transportation. I use those as opportunities to learn and network people like us. You should definitely look into it.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Also, a large percentage of younger black men really don't respect or what to hear what older black men have to say UNLESS that older black man is:

-Ballin to the point its visible
-Got a hot wife or macking on several women
-His look, fashion and physical presence is on point
-He's endearing and patient with them to their needs
-He has a professional and social status of high respect

Keeping it 100%, its hard for most men in general to have 3-4 of these things much less all of these things and most young men got some ego and swagger to them and usually want to figure things out themselves. I have quite a few mentors and they've ALL commented to me how humble and polite I am to them and people in general, how rare that was to them and that was a major key towards them giving me their time. When appealing to people, you gotta work on their time.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Agree and this is why I looked at this as a joke thread. Who in their right minds would expect an older person in their organization to mentor/groom them?

The smart thing to do is join a trade association, attend their local events and pick the brains of people in the same industry.