Lagos Nigeria......

Sankofa Alwayz

#FBADOS #B1 #D(M)V #KnowThyself #WaveGod
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
Im in Lagos 2-3 times a year. Ask me anything.

When’s the best time to visit?

How’s the nightlife?

What are some of the best places to eat?

How’s the street food and would you recommend it to foreigners?

What’s the local youth culture like?

What’s some of the best Afrobeat, Hip Hop, and House music and artists to come out of Lagos?

I know you can get around with English since a lot of Naijas speak it, but is it recommended to learn some basic Yoruba just in case?

Any malls and markets worth checking out?

Any cultural mannerisms and etiquette to be aware of?

What parts are highbrow/well-heeled/bougie, chill/middle-class/modest, and hood/working class/poor?

What are some major development projects underway in Lagos that’s gonna reshape the city’s future?

What’s the crime like?

What kind of African ethnicities make their presence known in Lagos?

Would an AA be gucci out there?

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
When’s the best time to visit?

How’s the nightlife?

What are some of the best places to eat?

How’s the street food and would you recommend it to foreigners?

What’s the local youth culture like?

What’s some of the best Afrobeat, Hip Hop, and House music and artists to come out of Lagos?

I know you can get around with English since a lot of Naijas speak it, but is it recommended to learn some basic Yoruba just in case?

Any malls and markets worth checking out?

Any cultural mannerisms and etiquette to be aware of?

What parts are highbrow/well-heeled/bougie, chill/middle-class/modest, and hood/working class/poor?

What are some major development projects underway in Lagos that’s gonna reshape the city’s future?

What’s the crime like?

What kind of African ethnicities make their presence known in Lagos?

Would an AA be gucci out there?

Lagos is bigger than New York, so its literally always popping.

Street food comes in all shapes and sizes - MAMA Put is literally street food prepared by old women, They serve them in small canteens in many roadside restaurants. While if you find a good one they can be excellent and cheap, but i wouldn't recommend this as an new visitor. Thankfully Lagos has numerous amazing restaurants and eateries of all types for you to choose from. Excellent african eateries like Mama Kass, Mr Biggs, and Tantalizer are all excellent Nigerian fast food retaurants. If your head to VI or Ikoyi, there are plenty of high end restaruants of all ethnicities.

Real street food I would recommend Suya. These are served in by mant roadside street vendors.
vllkyt5tg9b3jb9ps.8b9cf099.jpg

The key with street food is hygeine. As long as the food is HOT, you should be fine. Eating cold street food is defintely a no no and a great way to get food poisoning.

Youth culture is very vibrant. Youth outnumber the old by a significant margin in Nigeria, so manyt youth centered movements are alive and well. Especially music, art, and fashion.

Nigeria is literally the home of Afrobeat, so there are literally HUNDREDS of Afrobeat artists based in Nigeria. Wizkid, Davido, PSquare, and Olamide are just of some of the huge Afrobeat megastars that call Lagos home. Lagos is also home to the "Fela Shrine" which is a MUST visit for any true afrobeat music fan. Thats located in Ikeja and is a MUST VISIT for any tourist. Consequently, the nightlife in Lagos is fukking AMAZING. The best afrobeat clubs are here and even strip clubs are fire. I can tell you these later if you're interested.

fukk learning Yorouba. Learn Pidgin English. That will take you much further in Lagos. Pidgin is quite easy to learn but takes a little practice. Consider watching Nigerian movies on youtube to get a grasp on the language.

Lots of malls in Lagos, but fukk em. They're overpriced usually. Shoprite is the big shopping mall chain in lagos, but high end boutiques and open air markets are the best way to shop. I recommend Lekki for the best shopping personally. The art market in Lekki has amazing pieces for cheap.

As far as etiquette and cultural mannerisms - DONT BE FLASHY!! This is the easiest way to get targeted. Fancy watches, extremely expensive shoes, or clothing may have you the target of pickpocketers.

Smiling and having an agreeable personality will take you far. Nigerians love money so tipping will take you far as well, but don't over do it.

Crime in Lagos is high. Remember, its like a big metropolis. Think New York but bigger. Like any big city watch your back and move accordingly.

AA would be gucci. I would recommend going if you're interested. Going with a Nigerian or tour groups may be ideal to get around more efficiently though.

Sithlord Piff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA

Street food comes in all shapes and sizes - MAMA Put is literally street food prepared by old women, They serve them in small canteens in many roadside restaurants. While if you find a good one they can be excellent and cheap, but i wouldn't recommend this as an new visitor. Thankfully Lagos has numerous amazing restaurants and eateries of all types for you to choose from. Excellent african eateries like Mama Kass, Mr Biggs, and Tantalizer are all excellent Nigerian fast food retaurants. If your head to VI or Ikoyi, there are plenty of high end restaruants of all ethnicities.

Real street food I would recommend Suya. These are served in by mant roadside street vendors.

The key with street food is hygeine. As long as the food is HOT, you should be fine. Eating cold street food is defintely a no no and a great way to get food poisoning.

Youth culture is very vibrant. Youth outnumber the old by a significant margin in Nigeria, so manyt youth centered movements are alive and well. Especially music, art, and fashion.

Nigeria is literally the home of Afrobeat, so there are literally HUNDREDS of Afrobeat artists based in Nigeria. Wizkid, Davido, PSquare, and Olamide are just of some of the huge Afrobeat megastars that call Lagos home. Lagos is also home to the "Fela Shrine" which is a MUST visit for any true afrobeat music fan. Thats located in Ikeja and is a MUST VISIT for any tourist. Consequently, the nightlife in Lagos is fukking AMAZING. The best afrobeat clubs are here and even strip clubs are fire. I can tell you these later if you're interested.

fukk learning Yorouba. Learn Pidgin English. That will take you much further in Lagos. Pidgin is quite easy to learn but takes a little practice. Consider watching Nigerian movies on youtube to get a grasp on the language.

Lots of malls in Lagos, but fukk em. They're overpriced usually. Shoprite is the big shopping mall chain in lagos, but high end boutiques and open air markets are the best way to shop. I recommend Lekki for the best shopping personally. The art market in Lekki has amazing pieces for cheap.

As far as etiquette and cultural mannerisms - DONT BE FLASHY!! This is the easiest way to get targeted. Fancy watches, extremely expensive shoes, or clothing may have you the target of pickpocketers.

Smiling and having an agreeable personality will take you far. Nigerians love money so tipping will take you far as well, but don't over do it.

Crime in Lagos is high. Remember, its like a big metropolis. Think New York but bigger. Like any big city watch your back and move accordingly.

AA would be gucci. I would recommend going if you're interested. Going with a Nigerian or tour groups may be ideal to get around more efficiently though.
My greedy ass would be trying to eat one of each skewer:wow:

MarcMan

Superstar
Daps

Appreciate the info. I've been to Zambia and had a damn good time in Lusaka so I'm planning my next excursion now. Either going to be Kenya, South Africa or Nigeria.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
no just wonder because people say a lot of african countries have corruption issues

Any Black Country that can finesse cacs out of billions of dollars is alright with me :mjlol:

I was in Lagos 2 years ago, i didn’t see one cac for the entire 2 1/2 weeks I was there... :mjgrin:

FSP

Banned
Daps
Looks like a place you'd go to and get assassinated

www.THUG.com

Trick Love Da Kids!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
D.C.
Looks like a place you'd go to and get assassinated

Not at all. It's all love. I heard "My sista, my sista" so much that I thought it was my name. I was told to listen out for people calling me "Mama Americana" but I didn't hear that.

I went to the Kalakuta museum (Fela Kuti's house now turned museum) and I met a guy there who later took me backstage at the Africa Shrine and introduced me to Femi Kuti. Femi asked that I come back before his show so we can spend more time chatting. American celebs will not go out of their way like that. I was shown genuine love and a very good time.

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just got back 3 weeks ago ......

the person that said dont wear anything flashy obviously never been to Quillox or club 57 on a Friday Night ....

no one trying to kidnap some random tourist lol.... they dont give a fukk about you if you're just an ordinary cat

FSP

Banned
Daps
Not at all. It's all love. I heard "My sista, my sista" so much that I thought it was my name. I was told to listen out for people calling me "Mama Americana" but I didn't hear that.

I went to the Kalakuta museum (Fela Kuti's house now turned museum) and I met a guy there who later took me backstage at the Africa Shrine and introduced me to Femi Kuti. Femi asked that I come back before his show so we can spend more time chatting. American celebs will not go out of their way like that. I was shown genuine love and a very good time.
:ohhh: :wow:

lol also your gender and name/avatar combination throw me off every time

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Any Black Country that can finesse cacs out of billions of dollars is alright with me :mjlol:

I was in Lagos 2 years ago, i didn’t see one cac for the entire 2 1/2 weeks I was there... :mjgrin:
This is honestly the greatest thing about Nigeria, despite it's issues.

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

the person that said dont wear anything flashy obviously never been to Quillox or club 57 on a Friday Night ....

no one trying to kidnap some random tourist lol.... they dont give a fukk about you if you're just an ordinary cat
Negro I know the owner of Quilox. Its cool to rock nice shyt when at the clubs, but security there is usually on point.

You're an idiot if your rocking high end gear running around Oshodi or Ojota though

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra

Most kidnapping happens in the North, Igboland and Niger Delta. Lagos doesn't have THAT much kidnapping for some reason. Roberries, I don't know.