Lagos Nigeria......

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Most kidnapping happens in the North, Igboland and Niger Delta. Lagos doesn't have THAT much kidnapping for some reason. Roberries, I don't know.

kidnapping is mostly focused down there because originally it was employees or contractors of oil companies that were being targeted.....

when the oil companies moved all their headquarters to Lagos to avoid all of that the kidnappers moved on to wealthy or important civilians ......

Robbers focus on Banks now in Lagos .....

To be honest Im more wary of the police than I am of being robbed ....:francis:

those fukkers love stopping me .... my pops put me on the police public relations committee because of the hassle

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
kidnapping is mostly focused down there because originally it was employees or contractors of oil companies that were being targeted.....

when the oil companies moved all their headquarters to Lagos to avoid all of that the kidnappers moved on to wealthy or important civilians ......

Robbers focus on Banks now in Lagos .....

To be honest Im more wary of the police than I am of being robbed ....:francis:

those fukkers love stopping me .... my pops put me on the police public relations committee because of the hassle

There's a police public relations committee? What's that like? What wahala are they up to?

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Negro I know the owner of Quilox. Its cool to rock nice shyt when at the clubs, but security there is usually on point.

You're an idiot if your rocking high end gear running around Oshodi or Ojota though

Why would a tourist be in Oshodi or Ojota? .... what the fukk is he going to do in the hood??

by the way I go Oshodi, Mushin, Yaba all of those places and Ive never stepped to .....

wear what you want , just act accordingly

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There's a police public relations committee? What's that like? What wahala are they up to?

lol..... Ive never attended a meeting ...... I gave money for three crates of Star beer so that I could get the I.D card ....:russ::russ:

I guarantee you its just a bunch of potbellied men that meet up to get drunk and eat pounded yam

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Why would a tourist be in Oshodi or Ojota? .... what the fukk is he going to do in the hood??

by the way I go Oshodi, Mushin, Yaba all of those places and Ive never stepped to .....

wear what you want , just act accordingly
"why would you want to go to the hood"
because I want to meet THE PEOPLE and not THE FACADE.

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

If tourists started going to the hoods in certain parts of L.A , Chicago , Miami or wherever because they want to meet THE PEOPLE how do you think the people receive them ????

Ive travelled enough to see hoods are the same all over the world, just different degrees of how bad they are ..... the mentality is still the same

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Most kidnapping happens in the North, Igboland and Niger Delta. Lagos doesn't have THAT much kidnapping for some reason. Roberries, I don't know.
my nigerian jawn said kidnapping is a real problelm in lagos tho
:patrice:you like going to unfamiliar hoods?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Any Black Country that can finesse cacs out of billions of dollars is alright with me :mjlol:

I can't speak on the specifics of Nigeria personally, but corrupt politicians in Black countries are often the biggest sellouts alive. In fact, they are the definitions of the word sellout. They collude with outsiders to extract the valuable things out of their country. Outsiders make all the money, the sellouts get pennies and pats on the head and the country suffers .
There are enough educated people inside the country that they could develop the country so that they don't need the outsiders at any stage.

Daps
Reppin
London
Far less corrupt than Washington DC. You're an aspiring politician?

:mjlol:You are joking right? No need to be biased here. You are either very naive or have no idea of the inner workings of Nigerian politics. Lagos with all its wealth, resources and coastline has the potential to be great, but the government and leaders loot and squander all the money. The infrastructure is very poor even compared to other African major cities, not to talk of the West. We are in 2018 and there is still no dependable electricity. Imagine trying to run a business or even do basic things like charge your phone or watch tv when there are constant power cuts that disrupt your life. If only the government spent a fraction of their revenues on basic infrastructure, Lagos could really be a Great destination. It's is not a safe place to live in and as a tourist, regardless of race, you would be I'll advised to walk around most parts the city at night. Cities like Dakar in Senegal and Accra in Ghana are much safer. Lagos is not geared towards tourists which is a shame. It is more of a smash and grab type of town. People make money here and then travel aboard to spend it. Considering a lot of Lagos is surrounded by water, lagoons, there should be more bridges, roads to better connect the city and reduce the terrible traffic. The nightlife scene is pretty great and the food is pretty decent.

Btw the breh who mentioned cities in East Africa has a point. For example although Rwanda is not as rich, Kigali is much better run, cleaner and safer. Being rich doesn't always equate to quality of life. This is coming from someone born and bred in Lagos, who visits at least once a year and whose family is all based there. We have to tell it like it is rather than sugar coating to fit a narrative. We all want Africa to win, but unless we identify the problems and tackle them, there is no hope.

Daps
Reppin
London
my nigerian jawn said kidnapping is a real problelm in lagos tho

:patrice:you like going to unfamiliar hoods?

Tbh I don't think kidnapping is a problem for random tourists. The kidnapping is mostly targeted at high brow family members or contractors in order to demand ransom money. It's actually a lucrative business in Nigeria and is seen as less risky than arm robbery.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
My housemate grew up there. He's mentioned that Lagos is a great city but that it's filled with too many people since the city attracts people from all over the country. He said the locals always said "if you can make it in Lagos, you can make it anywhere."

I'm definitely tryna see the city before I die.

Sankofa Alwayz

#FBADOS #B1 #D(M)V #KnowThyself #WaveGod
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
Lagos is bigger than New York, so its literally always popping.

Street food comes in all shapes and sizes - MAMA Put is literally street food prepared by old women, They serve them in small canteens in many roadside restaurants. While if you find a good one they can be excellent and cheap, but i wouldn't recommend this as an new visitor. Thankfully Lagos has numerous amazing restaurants and eateries of all types for you to choose from. Excellent african eateries like Mama Kass, Mr Biggs, and Tantalizer are all excellent Nigerian fast food retaurants. If your head to VI or Ikoyi, there are plenty of high end restaruants of all ethnicities.

Real street food I would recommend Suya. These are served in by mant roadside street vendors.
vllkyt5tg9b3jb9ps.8b9cf099.jpg

The key with street food is hygeine. As long as the food is HOT, you should be fine. Eating cold street food is defintely a no no and a great way to get food poisoning.

Youth culture is very vibrant. Youth outnumber the old by a significant margin in Nigeria, so manyt youth centered movements are alive and well. Especially music, art, and fashion.

Nigeria is literally the home of Afrobeat, so there are literally HUNDREDS of Afrobeat artists based in Nigeria. Wizkid, Davido, PSquare, and Olamide are just of some of the huge Afrobeat megastars that call Lagos home. Lagos is also home to the "Fela Shrine" which is a MUST visit for any true afrobeat music fan. Thats located in Ikeja and is a MUST VISIT for any tourist. Consequently, the nightlife in Lagos is fukking AMAZING. The best afrobeat clubs are here and even strip clubs are fire. I can tell you these later if you're interested.

fukk learning Yorouba. Learn Pidgin English. That will take you much further in Lagos. Pidgin is quite easy to learn but takes a little practice. Consider watching Nigerian movies on youtube to get a grasp on the language.

Lots of malls in Lagos, but fukk em. They're overpriced usually. Shoprite is the big shopping mall chain in lagos, but high end boutiques and open air markets are the best way to shop. I recommend Lekki for the best shopping personally. The art market in Lekki has amazing pieces for cheap.

As far as etiquette and cultural mannerisms - DONT BE FLASHY!! This is the easiest way to get targeted. Fancy watches, extremely expensive shoes, or clothing may have you the target of pickpocketers.

Smiling and having an agreeable personality will take you far. Nigerians love money so tipping will take you far as well, but don't over do it.

Crime in Lagos is high. Remember, its like a big metropolis. Think New York but bigger. Like any big city watch your back and move accordingly.

AA would be gucci. I would recommend going if you're interested. Going with a Nigerian or tour groups may be ideal to get around more efficiently though.

Dope information breh :myman:

And yeah, I’m interested. I didn’t even know strip clubs were a thing over there :ohhh: