Large US City Black Populations ('21 ACS estimates)

*DalMem*

THE COLI C00NS SLAYER
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Stop bytching, this is not a diss thread...

The black population is decreasing virtually everywhere outside the South, with the exception of a handful of cities. Black population is dropping much faster in some notable northern cities than it is in California cities...

I'm in Idaho, nah Black culture is virtually nonexistent here. The few times I've seen muhfukkas playing hip hop were white people or Mexicans. All these muhfukkas dress like they ready for a rodeo, they huge into country music and that type shyt out here...

Which is another point to make in this thread, there are many, many places where we aren't in large number, so our culture also isn't in those places. I do believe there is an indercounting in Black people in this country, particularly given the Grey area of leniency on people who are of African descent but don't identify as Black American; I think our real population is closer to 15% than 12%...

Regardless, I agree that our impact on American culture is outsized relative to our population, its directly visible in so many cities and places that we are neither the majority nor plurality, but have arguably the strongest impact on local culture; example in Charlotte we are neither the majority nor plurality, and there is certainly impact from other groups in Charlotte, bit it's a black ass city culturally...

Metro Atlanta is what he's thinking of. I'll have the metro lists published up here some time this weekend...

That doesn't negate my point about California. :heh:

How is LA a Black Mecca when 90% of the Hip Hop stations hosts are Mexicans. :heh::dead:

You have to use the term Black & Brown when talking about your community. :mjlol:

HaitianPatty

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Stop bytching, this is not a diss thread...

The black population is decreasing virtually everywhere outside the South, with the exception of a handful of cities. Black population is dropping much faster in some notable northern cities than it is in California cities...

I'm in Idaho, nah Black culture is virtually nonexistent here. The few times I've seen muhfukkas playing hip hop were white people or Mexicans. All these muhfukkas dress like they ready for a rodeo, they huge into country music and that type shyt out here...

Which is another point to make in this thread, there are many, many places where we aren't in large number, so our culture also isn't in those places. I do believe there is an indercounting in Black people in this country, particularly given the Grey area of leniency on people who are of African descent but don't identify as Black American; I think our real population is closer to 15% than 12%...

Regardless, I agree that our impact on American culture is outsized relative to our population, its directly visible in so many cities and places that we are neither the majority nor plurality, but have arguably the strongest impact on local culture; example in Charlotte we are neither the majority nor plurality, and there is certainly impact from other groups in Charlotte, bit it's a black ass city culturally...

Metro Atlanta is what he's thinking of. I'll have the metro lists published up here some time this weekend...
Yea I know. Most likely speaking on Metro cause black folks who move to Atlanta almost exclusively live outside

Wig Twistin Season

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Wow. By population, I would’ve guessed a different line up for the top 20 cities, but percentages cleared it up. I’ve been to many of the cities in the top 20 populations and you can see the difference immediately compared to where I’ve lived for the last 20 years.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
That doesn't negate my point about California. :heh:

How is LA a Black Mecca when 90% of the Hip Hop stations hosts are Mexicans. :heh::dead:

You have to use the term Black & Brown when talking about your community. :mjlol:

Because it's the center of black community for US blacks west of Texas. Nobody growing up out west is talking about NY or DC or ATL, which are ALL black meccas. You hear those places mentioned once in a blue out west....

And we can and do talk about Black people exclusively in LA, of course in media they are toeing a different PR line...

I'm not sure what happened to Black radio in LA but I agree having outsiders controlling what should be our media is an issue. You do realize that isn't only in LA, right? Is it better to have Black faces as "frontmen" in many if these other markets that are otherwise not Black owned anyway, not operated by Black people for black interests but use black faces to sell the product?

*DalMem*

THE COLI C00NS SLAYER
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because it's the center of black community for US blacks west of Texas. Nobody growing up out west is talking about NY or DC or ATL, which are ALL black meccas. You hear those places mentioned once in a blue out west....

And we can and do talk about Black people exclusively in LA, of course in media they are toeing a different PR line...

I'm not sure what happened to Black radio in LA but I agree having outsiders controlling what should be our media is an issue. You do realize that isn't only in LA, right? Is it better to have Black faces as "frontmen" in many if these other markets that are otherwise not Black owned anyway, not operated by Black people for black interests but use black faces to sell the product?

Breh with all due respect. You're juelzing.

There is no Black Mecca West of Louisiana/Arkansas.

It is what it is.

Your community is the Black and Brown community.

Mexicans are your gatekeepers out West.

You don't even control your politics and social services. Mexicans are able to get into all of those positions do to the requirements of being bilingual. Allowing them to get into gatekeeping positions over Black people. :heh:

SHO-NUFF

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOMETHIN REAL FO YO ASS IN THESE HANDS!!!!
Yep, and unlike most of those cities on this list, although OKC also has a historically black area of town (big bad E.S.), you'll find us sprinkled in large pockets on all sides of town, including suburbs, and the richest zip codes in the state....
We are comfortable living wherever we can afford to pay rent\mortgage on, so close to work, popular amenities, shopping etc.

My city ain't all shyt.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC

Black Mecca thread for anyone who is interested!

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
So when we talk about "black meccas" in this country, it has to start where we find our largest concentrations of black people. Los Angeles as a city is less than 10% black, but has the 8th-largest black population in the nation among cities...

Los Angeles is, has been, and likely will always be, the primary black mecca west of Texas, its the capital of The Black West...

New York, Dallas, and Houston are all less than a quarter black, but the sheer volume of their black populations make them black meccas...
black meccas have to do with more than raw #'s, percent of total population completely changes the way in which you encounter and experience blackness. you also need to look at the entire metro, if the black population is only on in one city and no type of density or representation in the surrounding metro, it's not a mecca. finally, what is the economic stratification and political power of the group?

anyway...gonna check out charlotte in a few years. NC is seeming like a good spot to settle

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Was wondering if this perception were skewed because we ourselves are black.....
it is...go take your black movie references and non-hip hop "black" music to white ass corporate america or a PWI and you'll be entertaining yourself. these people are referencing friends, charmed, etc and group singing to duran duran and def leopard at the beer garden (not a bar...just fukking beer gardens)...white america aint as wrapped up in black culture as yall would like to think. black culture just happens to be overrepresented in pop culture, but white pop culture is still the de facto

Last edited:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
black meccas have to do with more than raw #'s, percent of total population completely changes the way in which you encounter and experience blackness. you also need to look at the entire metro, if the black population is only on in one city and no type of density or representation in the surrounding metro, it's not a mecca. finally, what is the economic stratification and political power of the group?

anyway...gonna check out charlotte in a few years. NC is seeming like a good spot to settle

it is...go take your black movie references and non-hip hop "black" music to white ass corporate america or a PWI and you'll be entertaining yourself. these people are referencing friends, charmed, etc and group singing to duran duran and def leopard at the beer garden (not bar...just fukking beer gardens)...white america aint as wrapped up in black culture as yall would like to think. black culture just happens to be overrepresented in pop culture, but white pop culture is still the de facto

Facts, but don't confuse me, it's not only the raw population that I consider LA for. It's the fact that there's a legacy of black hospitability abd migration that, while certainly less pronounced today, still exists---->LA is a destination for Black Americans...

I'm in Idaho working with a brother from Tupelo, Mississippi who was telling me Monday how excited he was to see LA on his last company road tour. Even if the preference to live in LA has changed with the times, it is still a magnet and bucket list city for black Americans...

Black LA is segregated, as most other cities are, but there's a bubble of a million and a half people (slightly larger than the size of Dallas) that overlaps South LA with its border cities, that is ~29% black TODAY. That is a substantial concentration of black community and doesn't exist if the attraction isn't there, even with the demographic shifts in LA over the last 20 years...

I love your point about White America too, people gotta rub shoulders with these muhfukkas ti get it. Again I've been in Boise, Idaho for 16 days. Black visibility is minimal (I've seen 33 black people in two weeks), so black cultural impact is nearly nonexistent. These muhfukkas karaoke to Morgan Waller and dress like it's rodeo day and throw out references from The Office and MadTV...

We don't see this when we live within our black coc00ns, which isn't a bad thing, it just is what it is....

I lived in Charlotte mid-10s and fukking loved it. Make the leap Dora, you won't regret it!

Salt Lake City probably dropped a whole .01% when Donovan Mitchell left :blessed:

🤣 I'll say this though, there's a visible black professional class in Salt Lake. Much more than I'd have guessed. I can see why black folks, who don't really "need" to live in a sea of blackness, would be attracted to SLC. It's an attractive city...