Lena Waithe Calls Out Will Smith, Denzel Washington for Not Funding More Black Films

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
...and yet there seems to be a few films indirectly/directly referencing the holocaust every year, without being major box office draws
but of course expecting Black financiers to be a thing for films or community building, among the social media era of #BlackExcellence#Wakanda is purely pocket watching and hating
keep playing feel-good checkers, while continually boasting about chess moves brehs

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
...and yet there seems to be a few films indirectly/directly referencing the holocaust every year, without being major box office draws
but of course expecting Black financiers to be a thing for films or community building, among the social media era of #BlackExcellence#Wakanda is purely pocket watching and hating
keep playing feel-good checkers, while continually boasting about chess moves brehs
holy shyt you posted something i agree with. now i'm wondering if i'm wrong ... nah you're right just this once.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
We're not coming for Denzel unless there's stone cold proof. That's for godamn sure
full

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Denzel and Smith have helped multiple black actors and filmmakers...but sure, Brad Pitt has financially supported the two biggest "black films" in recent memory. This is a clear case of recency bias.

that being said, this part of the article...

When asked what other industry issues are concerning her at the moment, Waithe responded that film criticism no longer exists in a real way. “A lot of bad black movies get good reviews because white critics are afraid to pan them,” she said. I love what Chris Rock had to say, that black people haven’t overcome until we’re allowed to fail. We still feel this guilt of, ‘Go support this movie because there’s black folks in it.'”

:whoo:

That's some real talk...