Lenny Kravitz says he's not black enough for BET

NoirDynosaur

Yurrrrrrrrrr
Daps
Reppin
Planet Earth
Bet, viacom and these entertainment execs trying to say black people only do rap and r&b. Black people invited rock and they literally writing us out. Lenny not even being acknowledge in his own genre because hes not white

Its surprising because Black people created a diverse amount of genres, including Rock & Roll.

BET’s narrowing is a tremendous disservice to black people.

Thank God we got the internet to break barriers

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It feels like in the 80s and early 90s there was much more of an array of Black culture celebrated, then one day it became only hood shyt. I don’t feel they even gave it a chance to see if Black people would be into rock
That's not black people's fault. Look at the assortment of entertainers the media promoted. There's still tons of black musicians that play piano, guitar, sax, trumpet, drums, play in bands (not marching on ESPN), do shows, tour. There's real jazz, RnB, soul, gospel, contemporary, etc...you're not going to see them on MTV, vh1, bet, you're not going to see them at the awards show, though props to Robert Glasper for making where many of black artists have gotten before. I'll add a caveat---black entertainers do earn accolades and praise within their genres and amongst their peers, but it's not broadcast everywhere. Taylor Swift wins best album, Robert Glasper wins for best RnB album, who's going to be front page the next day? Who's gonna be talked about on good morning America and MTV, etc, etc? And it's not just her, it would be the same if it was Beyonce of even Jay-Z or Kanye...are any of those people making better music than glasper?

There's genres of white rock that don't get national airplay but every once and again some popular artist will utilize some of those elements and make money off of it.

The labels and networks know who they want to promote and who they want you to see. And that's why you get what you get. Black people are not on those boards or have a hand in any of those decisions.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Which other black artists have accomplished more than him in his lane?

What other black person is in his lane to compete with:mjlol:?

Lets talk about all the black people who have accomplished alot in lanes that are relevant to black people. Who are now forgotten about or washed, who aint getting invites anymore. You think Avant still getting an invite to the BET awards?

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H
What other black person is in his lane to compete with:mjlol:?

Lets talk about all the black people who have accomplished alot in lanes that are relevant to black people. Who are now forgotten about or washed, who aint getting invites anymore. You think Avant still getting an invite to the BET awards?
How many records has Avant sold?
How.many awards has he.won?
How many Grammys?

Cut it out

ThrobbingHood

Take from the b*tch, give to the whores.
Daps
What is j Cole or drake then?
They’re black via the seed of their father. KAN!
full

trap101

All Star
Daps
Keeping it funky, he’s not FBA. He always used to be one of those negroes back in the day, talking about his Caribbean/Jewish heritage. The “don’t label me as just black” types. Which is absolutely fine.

Just don’t be upset when that alienates you with the “I don’t see color” mantra. Take that beef up with your paternal lineage, the actual gatekeepers. His daughter got her wake up call. I guess his alarm was set later.
What happened with the daughter?