LMFAO Mayweather lol

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh Glen Johnson has 18 Ls. He has multiple streaks of losing 3 or more consecutive fights. Even inside that he has multiple streaks of losing 3 consecutive fights to unanimous decision.

He put that work in during the RJJ fight though. He was busy and earned the knockout.

I think we agree on the RJJ and PBF discussion though. Roy had crazy physical talent but he wasn't nearly as technically skilled, patient, and calculating as PBF.

Glen Johnson got better when he was older though

61 Corpses

The Breh
Daps
Reppin
Floyd has also fought more impressive opponents than RJJ did in his prime. That was always my knock against Roy.

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
For the purposes of this argument I'll remove Joe C. RJJ lost to Tarver (aka Michael Blaxson) twice. Honestly, he should've lost the first fight to Tarver as well. If you recall Tarver clearly stated back then that he had figured Roy out and displayed it in the ring. To date that hasn't happened to Mayweather.

And Glen Johnson breh???

tumblr_mhvq36jRxz1r877b7o1_500.gif

I'll post the same thing I posted last year in another thread. This comes straight from the dude that helped Roy bulk up to HW. Same person that Hopkins used to as well to move up and Mike Spinks.

The damaged on his body was already done from the first fight but Roy pulled out tough victory over Tarver. Roy lost like 25lbs of muscle in like 3 months he had to kill himself to get that weight off since he only had like 3% body fat. His muscles and nerves eroded which destroyed all his attributes reflexes and reaction time. All Roy did to lose the muscle mass was run and do more cardio which is why he looked so sickly the first fight. The same things happen with Chris Byrd when he tried to move from HW to LHW and he got knocked out since he was trying to run off the extra weight. For the first Tarver fight Roy didn't have strength conditioning coach to get the weight off like he did when he bulked up with Mackie Shilstone to HW. Even Mackie told RJJ he was making a mistake going back down in weight and he is training to stay at HW. The 2nd Tarver fight Mackie came back but the damage was already done from the first fight.

Anyway check the interview quotes below from Mackie Shilstone he pretty much says the same thing I already said above.

BOXINGTALK : EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: MACKIE SHILSTONE

http://www.boxingtalk.com/pag/article.php?aid=15849

June 12, 2008
EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: MACKIE SHILSTONE
By Krishen Rangi

How much of an issue is a fighter moving up taking the naturally bigger guy's shots. What have Spinks, Jones, Hopkins, guys like that said about their ability to absorb punches at higher weights?

I don't know of any fighter in the business of taking punches. Depends on the fighter if he has the power to take the punches. It's as much mental as it is physical. In the Jones/Ruiz fight we wanted to break his nose, that was the plan. We knew Ruiz had broken his nose in the Holyfield fight, and Roy broke his nose in the 6th round. He couldnt breathe out of it after that.

What happened to Roy Jones when he went back down to light-heavyweight to fight Tarver after you had helped him move up and beat Ruiz for the heavyweight title?

You have to remember Roy is such a talented athlete. The muscle that was put on is very difficult to take off. It was a very tough fight. Draining to anyone but he ended up winning. The same thing happended to Tarver when he did the Rocky movie. He was in the 220s then he came down and he was compromised against Bernard. I would have liked to see Roy stay at heavyweight, and I told him that. I think Roy would have beaten Tyson. I think Roy would have beaten Holyfield, but the fights weren't there. Muscle is not easy to take off, it affects your immune system.

How much did Roy weigh for the Ruiz fight?

200 lbs.

There was a story circulating he had weights in his pocket and he really weighed 193.

Before we went down for the weigh-in we were all kidding what Roy would weigh. Roy had been in the range of 199-200. What happned was Roy got on the scale and a fight broke out between Alton Merkerson and Ruiz's camp. Mark Ratner who was doing the weigh-in never let the scale adjust because the fight had broke out. I know Mark, and told him that's not his weight you should correct it. When Roy went to the hotel room and got on the scale he was laughing and saying "I can't believe it". He takes his shirt off and steps on the scale, and this is on the documentary ESPN did called "The Sweet Science". Mark Ratner was there too. I told him to call HBO so they wouldn't think it was rebound weight and they mentioned that on the broadcast.

iamstr8fire

Apex Predator
Daps
Reppin
In The Thunder and Rain
I'll post the same thing I posted last year in another thread. This comes straight from the dude that helped Roy bulk up to HW. Same person that Hopkins used to as well to move up and Mike Spinks.

The damaged on his body was already done from the first fight but Roy pulled out tough victory over Tarver. Roy lost like 25lbs of muscle in like 3 months he had to kill himself to get that weight off since he only had like 3% body fat. His muscles and nerves eroded which destroyed all his attributes reflexes and reaction time. All Roy did to lose the muscle mass was run and do more cardio which is why he looked so sickly the first fight. The same things happen with Chris Byrd when he tried to move from HW to LHW and he got knocked out since he was trying to run off the extra weight. For the first Tarver fight Roy didn't have strength conditioning coach to get the weight off like he did when he bulked up with Mackie Shilstone to HW. Even Mackie told RJJ he was making a mistake going back down in weight and he is training to stay at HW. The 2nd Tarver fight Mackie came back but the damage was already done from the first fight.

Anyway check the interview quotes below from Mackie Shilstone he pretty much says the same thing I already said above.

BOXINGTALK : EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: MACKIE SHILSTONE

http://www.boxingtalk.com/pag/article.php?aid=15849

I cant disagree with you about going up and down in weight. I know that is hell on a person's body, especially a finely tuned athlete with not much to get rid of anyway.

Is the gist of what you're getting at is that Roy should be given a special exemption for his losses? Heavens knows we wouldnt' have heard the end of it from him if he won those fights.

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
I cant disagree with you about going up and down in weight. I know that is hell on a person's body, especially a finely tuned athlete with not much to get rid of anyway.

Is the gist of what you're getting at is that Roy should be given a special exemption for his losses? Heavens knows we wouldnt' have heard the end of it from him if he won those fights.
To me his loses are not as big because he was not the same fighter. Pre-HW Jones would of definitely have defeated Tarver (which he done before in the armatures Sunshine Games) and Johnson, then people would be calling for a ROYCOTT adding them to the list of bums that Roy fought. But since he lost later on in his career nothing else matters and his previous accolades don't count? He accomplished a lot and don't get the props he deserves for it. (First man in 106 years to be MW champ-HW Champ)

Hopkins fought a lot of bums in his middleweight reign too get that defense record but people don't say nothing about that. Hopkins did not move up in weight until Roy was on the decline. Even a faded Jones in the rematch Hopkins was shook by doing his dirty tactics. Once RJJ did some dirty things back to him - B-Hop doing his best Academy award impression to win that Oscar the same thing he done when fighting Joe C.

As for Floyd he would get the most props from me if he would move up to Middleweight and fight those champs up there. If he does that he certainly would be the best ever. I don't think there's anyone at his current weight class that can touch him. He needs to find bigger challenges.

Last edited:

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
To me his loses are not as big because he was not the same fighter. Pre-HW Jones would of definitely have defeated Tarver (which he done before in the armatures Sunshine Games) and Johnson, then people would be calling for a ROYCOTT adding them to the list of bums that Roy fought. But since he lost later on in his career nothing else matters and his previous accolades don't count? He accomplished a lot and don't get the props he deserves for it. (First man in 106 years to be MW champ-HW Champ)

Hopkins fought a lot of bums in his middleweight reign too get that defense record but people don't say nothing about that. Hopkins did not move up in weight until Roy was on the decline. Even a faded Jones in the rematch Hopkins was shook by doing his dirty tactics. Once RJJ did some dirty things back to him - B-Hop doing his best Academy award impression to win that Oscar the same thing he done when fighting Joe C.

As for Floyd he would get the most props from me if he would move up to Middleweight and fight those champs up there. If he does that he certainly would be the best ever. I don't think there's anyone at his current weight class that can touch him. He needs to find bigger challenges.
i dont even think floyd's body can hold that much weight with good muscle on fight night at his usual fitness level. he would probably have to become less fit to do it, which really does not suit his style. also, none of the middleweight champs are as soft as ruiz. and when you add his brittle hands, there is nothing good for him at MW

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
i dont even think floyd's body can hold that much weight with good muscle on fight night at his usual fitness level. he would probably have to become less fit to do it, which really does not suit his style. also, none of the middleweight champs are as soft as ruiz. and when you add his brittle hands, there is nothing good for him at MW

Even though Ruiz was not the top HW in the division he was still the favorite to win against Jones.

Floyd fought at 154lb before so he can definitely fight these dudes at 160. Sure it won't be easy but he can definitely beatQuillin and Martinez on points with all his technical skills to outbox them. When was the last time Money had a KO anyway? GGG would give him some problems, but win or lose he would get more respect moving up in weight then fighting guys we already know he can beat. So list some names that Floyd can fight? That will definitely give him a challenge @ 147-154? I like Garcia but I don’t think he got enough to beat Floyd. I wouldn’t mind seeing him fight Thurman though that could be a good fight.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
Even though Ruiz was not the top HW in the division he was still the favorite to win against Jones.

Floyd fought at 154lb before so he can definitely fight these dudes at 160. Sure it won't be easy but he can definitely beatQuillin and Martinez on points with all his technical skills to outbox them. When was the last time Money had a KO anyway? GGG would give him some problems, but win or lose he would get more respect moving up in weight then fighting guys we already know he can beat. So list some names that Floyd can fight? That will definitely give him a challenge @ 147-154? I like Garcia but I don’t think he got enough to beat Floyd. I wouldn’t mind seeing him fight Thurman though that could be a good fight.
of course, if the cold war can end then manny and bradley would be the best choices. barring that, martinez and GGG can come down in weight. i think in negotiations, martinez would get 154, GGG would end up getting 152. a year from now, maidana will probably be about as ready as he will ever be, i would like to see garcia get the fight at the very end of floyd's showtime contract

iamstr8fire

Apex Predator
Daps
Reppin
In The Thunder and Rain

I'm not saying his accolades don't count. I think he is a tremendous fighter, but he took some tremendous L's in situations that he was not forced to go into.

Don't get me started on Hopkins...

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I love Roy, watching that ass whupping he put on James Toney is one of my favorite fights of all time, but Mayweather has an intelligence in the ring that can't be taught. Floyd is 36 and by the looks of it hasn't lost a step his defense is amazing to watch.

Bomberman

Like a C4.
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Part of having good boxing skills is having good reflexes too. While Roy did have flaws and bad habits, within the scope of his athleticism, they really weren't that serious for him to be labeled as not fundamentally sound. Dude was at one point one of the best, if not the best counter punchers in the sport and had some of the goat set-ups/traps. Like I said in the other thread, to feint James Toney and BHop like he did means you have skills, period.

Pernell Whitaker is known to be a highly technical defender, but once he started to be physically neglectful, he started to get hit plenty more due to his reflexes not being there even with great skills. I guarantee it if Floyd started to slow down, those punches that he just slightly evaded would start to find their mark- even while being possibly the most technically gifted boxers ever. The thing is dude is such a gym rat I don't see that happening anytime soon.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Part of having good boxing skills is having good reflexes too. While Roy did have flaws and bad habits, within the scope of his athleticism, they really weren't that serious for him to be labeled as not fundamentally sound. Dude was at one point one of the best, if not the best counter punchers in the sport and had some of the goat set-ups/traps. Like I said in the other thread, to feint James Toney and BHop like he did means you have skills, period.

Pernell Whitaker is known to be a highly technical defender, but once he started to be physically neglectful, he started to get hit plenty more due to his reflexes not being there even with great skills. I guarantee it if Floyd started to slow down, those punches that he just slightly evaded would start to find their mark- even while being possibly the most technically gifted boxers ever. The thing is dude is such a gym rat I don't see that happening anytime soon.

no one is saying he didnt have them but roy relied on his athleticism..just like boxers fall in love with his power..roy fell in love with his athleticism..for some reason he never showed a plan B that im sure he was capable of doing as his reflexes went..he hung on in the first tarver fight but it was all downhill after that

a coked out sweet pea was still hard to hurt let alone stop..it took a broken clavicle for him to be stopped..it was a sad fight to watch