Lotus Births: More parents opt not to cut umbilical cord

Will you/have you experimented with lotus birth for your children?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Maybe with more education/research

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
Seems to be trending with some new agers and hoteps. While most mammals bite the umbilical cord from the placenta shortly after childbirth, some humans feel that packing it with herbs and flowers and toting it in a duffle bag while still attached to the baby is more beneficial for health and spiritual development. A breh and his wife explain how to preserve the decaying sac in the video.

It might sound strange, but the practice of not cutting your baby's umbilical cord - also known as giving your child a lotus birth - is on the rise.

The Daily Mail previously revealed 30-year-old, Emma Jean Nolan, from Brisbane, who photographed Jolene Spies, from Canterbury, New Zealand's, newborn baby with his placenta and umbilical cord spelling out the word 'love'.

And now someone else has stepped forward and spoken about their alternative way to bring a child into the world.
341E213A00000578-3588488-image-a-1_1463155426051.jpg

Mum of one Kim Vale admitted to Australian Women's Weekly that her first encounter with a placenta was when it was attached to her sister's newborn during her lotus birth.

I didn't really know much about placentas to tell the truth, so it was quite a shock!,' she said to Australian Women's Weekly.

'You couldn't see it but just knowing it was there,' she recalled.

When it came to the moment when Ms Vale was to have her own baby, she thought she would like to give the method a try for herself.

341E212800000578-3588488-image-a-2_1463155430709.jpg

Ms Allen sprinkled the placenta with rock salt and rose petals to keep it smelling fresh

341E211500000578-3588488-image-a-3_1463155460488.jpg

The placenta was also kept in a cooling bag to prevent it getting dirty

'It was a little awkward to manoeuvre the baby,' she said.

'I was a bit concerned if I dropped the placenta would the baby be yanked from my arms?

'We were so cautious and delicate and in a sense I think that helped our baby transition into the world quite smoothly. We weren't rushing about with her.'

Ms Vale is now taking things one step further and considering placenta encapsulation (eating the placenta in pill form) for her second child, although she says this takes nothing away from her first child and the lotus birth:

'It gave me peace of mind,' she said.

'We found she was really calm after the birth. She didn't actually cry for a very long time, and I just found it a really gentle experience.'

But just what is this spiritual form of birth that makes some women recoil?

The philosophy behind the lotus birth is that a child has spent nine months in the womb with their placenta, and that by removing it the second the child arrives, a doctor may cause the child pain and distress.

Instead, the lotus birth means that by allowing the placenta to fall off naturally, you are letting the baby come into the world of its own accord, as well as letting him or her get any of the remaining goodness from the placenta.

It is an all-natural idea, and can take up to ten days for the placenta and umbilical cord to fall away.

As well as Jolene Spies, the Daily Mail also previously reported on Adele Allen, from Brighton in the UK, who opted for a lotus birth.

Ms Allen wrote a no-holds-barred post on her blog talking about how she kept the placenta 'smelling pleasant' by sprinkling it with a 'coating of rock salt and rose petals before wrapping it in muslin cloths' that she changed every couple of days.

Whether you think it's disgusting, or that it in fact makes sense, the lotus birth is a hot point in debate.

• Dap
Reactions: Oso

Cheesy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Hometown
I thought this was about waiting a little while after the birth before cutting it, which I've heard to be beneficial because a lot of healthy stuff is pushed through the umbilical cord after birth. Turns out they took this shyt to the extreme:hhh:

WaveMolecules

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens
I thought this was about waiting a little while after the birth before cutting it, which I've heard to be beneficial because a lot of healthy stuff is pushed through the umbilical cord after birth. Turns out they took this shyt to the extreme:hhh:

Yeah I've heard of leaving the umbilical cord for longer is beneficial but not carry it around with the baby for weeks.