Lupe is fukkING BACK!!!! Samurai music videoi(off new album)!!!!

Kenyan West

lazy fba philly nikka,
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
I’m undecided on if Lupe should fall back from Soundtrakk. Granted, Soundtrack gives him a vibe, but his chit don’t make waves to the masses.

ReasonableMatic

Daps
Whole album concept is Amy Winehouse becoming a battle rapper, no 🧢

This shouldn’t be a surprise to Amy Winehouse fans tho lol

IMG-2032.jpg

The chorus goes:

I got these..
Really neat
Very beautifully alliterated
Little battle raps for you

- Lupe Fiasco (Samurai)

Which pays homage to Amy Winehouse by playin off of a voicemail she left Salaam Remi

Dboy41

All Star
Daps
I’m undecided on if Lupe should fall back from Soundtrakk. Granted, Soundtrack gives him a vibe, but his chit don’t make waves to the masses.
Yeah soundtrakk has been a hit or a miss lately. I wasnt impressed with the beats on dmiz outside of a few tracks. For a short album every beat should have been fire

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The song is mid. But it’s not really cuz of Lupe being cooked lyrically. It falls in the lane of the old J Cole styles songs. It’s very safe and predictable… stock soul sample beat with Lupe singing on the hook

@GoldenGlove i think part of the reason his marketability suffers is cuz he doesn’t have much of a budget to work with.

Lupe is at his best over a variety of production styles. Him & Soundtrakk have created some of the best work of his career but they usually have more of a grand sound.

Lupe’s albums used to sound like a huge event… F&L, The Cool, T&Y, Drogas Wave… big sounding and ambitious

This shyt is just typical dime a dozen underground sounding shyt. It’s not a bad song by any means, just expecting something grander from Lupe for an intro

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The reference to a female battle rapper was apparent, but I never would have guessed this was about Amy Winehouse. I'm assuming there's more context throughout the album, but this is a wild concept :dead:

:unimpressed:

With content this obtuse, cryptic and layered this MFer should invest in visuals that match the concepts and messaging. Last time he put out a meaningful visual that connected dots for listeners was for Food and Liquor 2. And even that got backlash because he put on a Klan hoodie at the end of it

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
He apparently wanted to do a whole concept album about Amy Winehouse with Nas, since they were close. He ran it by Nas and ever since Nas hasn’t been answering his calls or texts. ✌🏽
I mean... Because the idea is ridiculous and nobody asked for it.

The older I get, the less I care about what Lupe got going on.

I never checked for Amy Winehouse. Why tf should I care about this? So fans decipher this record and the reward is the song being about another artist they may not give AF about?

This dude is unhinged. And I've always been a fan, but...

:camby:

Last edited:

The Message

Lex with tv sets the minimum
Daps
lupe is john coltrane...

a virtuoso who mastered his instrument and genre and pushed his creativity to levels that stood out among his peers and elevated him to goat / alien status

BUT....trane went too far off this planet pushing the limits of his creativity to where some of his work in his later years is respected...but it's damn near unlistenable. lupe is there now

sometimes you gotta have someone around you like miles told trane..."take the horn out ya mouth muthafukka" :damn: :mjlol:

Daps
:unimpressed:

With content this obtuse, cryptic and layered this MFer should invest in visuals that match the concepts and messaging. Last time he put out a meaningful visual that connected dots for listeners was for Food and Liquor 2. And even that got backlash because he put on a Klan hoodie at the end of it

I agree. Visuals could help Lupe get back into good graces with the traditional hip-hop supporter. I enjoy outside-the-box references, but there has to be some form of relatability to connect with people. Based on his explanation, it sounds like this album would function better as an anime than a standalone musical piece. Still interested in checking it out, but expectations have shifted.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Pretty sure this is the sample

It was buggin me because I knew I heard someone else flip it lol, it was DJ Fresh w/ Shady Nate