Mark Hunt: Why would anyone want to be a UFC fighter if this is how much we get paid?

Mad Good Dro

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
73723541-750x340-1373397018.jpg

Source: Mark Hunt:

Add heavyweight Mark Hunt to the growing group of UFC fighters, past and present, concerned with competitor pay in comparison to the amount of money the organization is bringing in daily. Hunt took to Facebook this week where he expressed his frustration.

“This is really crap, man. I need a pay (raise). How can some of these other goons get more than me? Been cheated again,” vented Hunt. “Why would anyone want to be a UFC fighter if this is how much we get paid?”

Hunt’s specific salary wasn’t mentioned though he did allude to a report from MMA Manifesto as being fairly accurate. On the list he was shown to have made around $537,000 over six Octagon appearances including three performance-based bonuses accounting for $175,000 of the figure.

The 39-year old Hunt is currently in the process of recovering from a few health-related matters. He was last seen losing via knockout to Junior dos Santos at UFC 160.

Middleweight Tim Kennedy recently came forward with statements similar to Hunt’s, saying a career as a trash man would be a more lucrative endeavor than being in his current position. Kennedy quickly backed off the comments and implied corporate pressure had inspired him to come to his senses

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Because Dana White is David Stern, Scott Boras and DeMaurice Smith,all in one and the UFC is basically the only game in town. Don't give me that shyt about other federations when they don't matter. Strikeforce, UFC bought them. Pride, UFC bought them. Only the champions get to bask in any kind of glory.

So, for all of the Jon Jones and GSPs of the world, you have ten times as many relatively unathletic fukkboys roll around an octagon for peanuts.

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
to keep it 100, i never liked Hunt. However think about this for a sport that has it's payout consistently spoken of how it's going to overthrow the major sports $537000 over 2.5 years for a top tier fighter is a crazy. Especially considering the physical demands these fighter are taking. As long as the UFC's financials remain contrused its always going to be room for pointing the finger at fighter pay. However when such statements comes from the fighter(s) themselves that's notion that shouldn't be ignored..

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
He got paid 210K from the UFC in his last fight [that's not including sponsors,etc.]. That's a pretty good pay day.

EDIT: I still believe that UFC fighters should be getting paid more. $6,000 for a fight is way too low.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
to keep it 100, i never liked Hunt. However think about this for a sport that has it's payout consistently spoken of how it's going to overthrow the major sports $537000 over 2.5 years for a top tier fighter is a crazy. Especially considering the physical demands these fighter are taking. As long as the UFC's financials remain contrused its always going to be room for pointing the finger at fighter pay. However when such statements comes from the fighter(s) themselves that's notion that shouldn't be ignored..

Hunt is not a top tier fighter. He just snuck into the top 10 this past year but he came into the UFC with a sub .500 record

Jutt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boston
that puts to rest what BS UFC fans talk about "but but but they dont mention how much they get paid by sponsors"

The gap for sponsorship is big tho too. Some guys are marketable and some arent. Jones/Silva/JDS got that Nike deal. Not everybody is gonna get that. More often than not sponsorship deals cover the costs for training and gear, which that shyt isnt cheap at all.

The revenue doesnt get reported so it happens that dudes do get paid a lil extra, just depends on who Uncle Dana feels is worthy:aicmon:

Not to mention FOTN,KOFTN, and SOTN :manny:

I still think dudes are underpaid fwiw.

Willy Waffle

Willy Da Waffleman
Daps
Reppin
#GIANTS #KNICKS #RANGERS
question, don't ufc fighters get insurance from all the injuries they get While there in the ufc? it's still surprising that not 1 fighter has yet to get a 1,000,000 dollar purse, with all the money ufc bring in. i think jones can be the first to do it though.

Jutt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boston
question, don't ufc fighters get insurance from all the injuries they get While there in the ufc? it's still surprising that not 1 fighter has yet to get a 1,000,000 dollar purse, with all the money ufc bring in. i think jones can be the first to do it though.

Yeah they recently just got insured. Thats why youve seen a spike in injuries prior to fight now that they started taking care of these guys.

I agree though. A lot of people feel as though the fighters should unionize..but I'm not so sure that that would be the answer.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
The fact that Anderson freakin spider Silva isn't making millions for defending that belt or losing that belt says it all.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
thats what happens when mma is basically a monopoly

when strikeforce went under so did the hopes of many fighters of getting paid

Batter Up

I'm the first to swing
Daps
The fact that Anderson freakin spider Silva isn't making millions for defending that belt or losing that belt says it all.

Don't be fooled by those fighter pay-out lists.. they don't include backstage bonuses, sponsorship money, percentage of PPV revenue, etc.