Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
So I'm transitioning (very slowly) from Web Development to Data Science/BI. (The question can apply to any field in IT) I considered getting a Masters degree but there are certs on the same thing. I've done some cursory comparisons and the certs seems to cover the same material as the Masters, but for considerably less.

What does everyone think of getting a cert instead of a Masters? Missing out on anything? Less pay? Less knowledge? Less opportunities? Or is it really the same but just less money?

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
Masters are better in the long run

The clue is in the name of certs. They just certify knowledge you already meant to have

For data science, is always go Masters. It’s better in the long run but takes more effort

It depends on the uni, the cert, reputation, your stack, time, family, etc

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't know if I can agree with that statement. Graduate degrees are always more specialized because you end up doing your dissertation in a specific area.

Specialized may not be the best word, but I meant like a masters in information systems, but certifications in Oracle or SQL Sever. Information Systems is more broad and the certs start to narrow it down if that makes sense.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I don't know if I can agree with that statement. Graduate degrees are always more specialized because you end up doing your dissertation in a specific area.

Whatever you get your masters in won't be as specific as your higher level certs, especially vendor specific certs