Daps
Reppin
NULL
Matt Barnes Comments on Derek Fisher Incident

ByAlec Nathan, Featured Columnist Jan 15, 2016

hi-res-c88779b4522758ec04e0b009bf4a8af8_crop_north.jpg

Chuck Burton/Associated Press

Barnes on D-Fish: 'I Don't Talk to Snakes'

The Memphis Grizzlies are set to host Derek Fisher's New York Knicks on Saturday night at FedEx Forum, but the clash will represent more than an intriguing cross-conference showdown.

Rather, the game will serve as the backdrop for the first meeting between Fisher and Grizzlies swingmanMatt Barnessince the two were reportedly involved in a physical confrontation last October, stemming from the coach's relationship with Barnes' estranged wife, perIan Mohrof theNew York Post(h/tShams Charania and Adrian Wojnarowskiof Yahoo Sports).

While Barnes recently finished serving atwo-game suspensionfor his role in the altercation, he made it clear he's lost respect for his former Los Angeles Lakers teammate. In fact, Barnes plans to avoid Fisher all together Saturday night.

"I don’t talk to snakes," Barnes told theNew York Daily News'Stefan Bondy.

However, Barnes didn't discount the possibility of the two meeting once his career comes to an end.

"I know I got to keep my mouth shut because then he’ll run and tell," Barnes said, per Bondy. "So we’re focused on playing that team (the Knicks). And when I’m retired, him and I will cross paths again."

Bondy added that Barnes is seeking to recoup the salary he lost as a result of the suspension—a total that equates to roughly $64,000, according toWojnarowski.

Although the Grizzlies sputtered to start the season, they've rebounded nicely over the past few weeks and occupy the Western Conference's No. 6 seed. Dating back to Dec. 27, the Grizzlies are 6-3 over their past nine games.

Barnes, especially, has come alive in January to the tune of 12.2 points and 5.4 rebounds per game on identical splits of 47.6 percent shooting from the field and from three.

Matched up against a Knicks team that boasts robust wing scorers in Carmelo Anthony andArron Afflalo, Barnes will need to lock down and play the tight defense he's become renowned for while providing some supplementary scoring.

With a victory against Fisher surely on Barnes' mind, look for the Grizzlies to feed off his energy in what amounts to a statement game for the feisty swingman.