Microsoft has closed a number of Bethesda studios, Redfall maker Arkane Austin, HiFi Rush dev Tango Gameworks, and more... Update: More cuts coming

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
These people all work for Microsoft at the end of the day. It’s common for teams and products to get scrapped for a variety of reason. Good talent will continue to work for the company on other projects.

:mjlol:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Again, and it makes sense to you that they would cut a studio that put out their highest rated game, that won multiple awards, and “exceeded all expectations” simply because they were in the pitching phase?
Yes? The other studios at Bethesda already have games in production so it makes less sense financially and logistically to close them down.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Quality studios get closed all the time breh.

I’ve never seen a studio praised by their execs and closed a few months later but ok

Most ‘quality’ studios i know that get closed is because they don’t make money and there’s not illusion about it

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
If things weren’t so tight. Smaller, lower expectation style games like HiFi rush 2 would get a green light.

As games are taking a huge investment in both time and money now, smaller more risky games are not getting the go ahead.

Microsoft has lots of studios and lots of IP, it makes all the sense in the world to consolidate resources around IP that has better potential and less risk.

Tango does not have an IP that fits that bill. They were in the pitch phase, and microsoft didn’t think the pitch was worth the investment.

It’s not even a hard/controversial thing to understand if people weren’t trying to fit their own agenda in there.

Literally every other large publisher has made similar decisions for similar reasons lately.

When square said it, people understood. When nintendo said it, people understood.

Whenever microsoft is involved people lose their damn minds and go stupid :francis:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I’ve never seen a studio praised by their execs and closed a few months later but ok

Most ‘quality’ studios i know that get closed is because they don’t make money and there’s not illusion about it
sony-playstations-ceo-jim-ryan-was-at-playstation-london-v0-r79zt8f3zclc1.jpeg

:usure:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

This is the only time im gonna respond to you lol

But where is Jim Ryan praising the studio or their games? Or saying anything London Studio put out exceeded Sony’s expectations for them?

That looks like a guy retiring taking a picture with a studio retiring. Sony isn’t lying about the performance of their games and trying to cover it up behind fugazi player metrics. Thats the problem here

nikkas were just telling me a few months ago Microsoft ain’t walking down Sony’s path of only focusing on “AAA” games and that AA and smaller games were protected under the guidance of gamepass because they needed to sell variety. Now Xbox leadership is saying the exact opposite. Microsoft is literally following the Activision blueprint, eventually consolidating all their studios into support studios for bigger games

Thats why arguing about this shyt is old now cause the stans can’t even keep up with Microsoft/Xbox’s narratives anymore for their own good.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is the only time im gonna respond to you lol

But where is jim ryan praising the studio or their games? Or saying anything london studio put out exceeded Sony’s expectations for them?

That looks like a guy retiring taking a picture with a studio retiring. Sony isn’t lying about the performance of their games and trying to cover it up behind fugazi player metrics. Thats the problem here

nikkas were just telling me a few months ago Microsoft ain’t walking down Sony’s path of only focusing on “AAA” games and that AA and smaller gamers were protected under the guide of gamepass because they needed to sell variety. Now Xbox leadership is saying the exact opposite.

Thats why arguing about this shyt is old now cause the stans can’t even keep up with Microsoft/Xbox’s narratives anymore for their own good.

Sony stan’s :mjlol:
iu

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I mean, the reasoning given makes sense to me, particularly when you consiser how long game dev is these days. Booty was told to make cuts and he closed the two studios that haven't had their game greenlit yet.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
@daze23 has the right idea. This isn’t a situation where the studio closed because hifi rush didn’t pan out as they expected. They just happened to be a smaller studio not working on anything at the time.

Now IMO the reason Xbox is suddenly closing studios in general is directly due to spending all that money to buy activision, and the higher ups want that covered sooner rather than later.

:manny: