Migos - Culture II (Discussion Thread)

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
Been fukking with 'Autopilot' all day today :leon:

"I ain't graduate, but I know Chemistry and Science :stylin:"

Charlie Broadway

Greg Ward Jr. SZN
Daps
Reppin
Houston
How is everyone choosing to compare this with Culture?

For example let’s say you think 9 out of the 13 songs on culture are good and 11 out of the 24 songs on Culture 2 are good which album are you picking? Culture 2 would have more songs that you like overall but over half of the songs you don’t fukk with. Do you think the better album is the one with the higher hit rate or the one with more songs that you fw?

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
How is everyone choosing to compare this with Culture?

For example let’s say you think 9 out of the 13 songs on culture are good and 11 out of the 24 songs on Culture 2 are good which album are you picking? Culture 2 would have more songs that you like overall but over half of the songs you don’t fukk with. Do you think the better album is the one with the higher hit rate or the one with more songs that you fw?

higher hit rate

not only that, there's levels to these tracks. I'ma post shortly about how I would rank the tracks on both Culture albums.

Magic Mulatto

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow. . .
Daps
Been fukking with 'Autopilot' all day today :leon:

"I ain't graduate, but I know Chemistry and Science :stylin:"

Quavo on “Work Hard,”

“Dropped outta school, I didn’t graduate . . . You know I didn’t graaaduuuaaate” :ufdup::usure:
Like yup, had a huncho :hubie:

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
Alright, so this is how I'd rate the tracks across both albums

TOP TIER: Stir Fry, Made Men, T-Shirt, Call Casting, Get Right Witcha, Slippery, Out Yo Way
VERY GOOD: Supastars, Narcos, BBO, CC, Gang Gang, White Sand, Open it Up, MotorSport, Movin' Too Fast, Too Playa, Bad & Boujee, Deadz, Kelly Price
GOOD: Higher We Go, Walk It Talk It, Emoji a Chain, Too Much Jewelry, Crown the Kings, Work Hard, Notice Me, Culture, Big on Big, What the Price, All Ass
MEDIOCRE: Autopilot, Flooded, Brown Paper Bag
POOR: Beast, Top Down on da NAWF
TRASH: Culture National Anthem

Obviously my opinion @Charlie Broadway but this is how I feel.

Culture doesn't have poor/trash level stuff. Don't get me wrong though, neither does Culture II for the most part. But Culture has more top tier stuff as well on a significantly shorter track list that was better sequenced and had more production variety.

Culture II is still a very good album imo, and the more music the merrier in that regard. A lot of shyt I'll be bumping year round. What's your take?

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina

TOP TIER: Stir Fry, Made Men, T-Shirt, Call Casting, Get Right Witcha, Slippery, Out Yo Way
VERY GOOD: Supastars, Narcos, BBO, CC, Gang Gang, White Sand, Open it Up, MotorSport, Movin' Too Fast, Too Playa, Bad & Boujee, Deadz, Kelly Price
GOOD: Higher We Go, Walk It Talk It, Emoji a Chain, Too Much Jewelry, Crown the Kings, Work Hard, Notice Me, Culture, Big on Big, What the Price, All Ass

Culture doesn't have poor/trash level stuff. Don't get me wrong though, neither does Culture II for the most part. But Culture has more top tier stuff as well on a significantly shorter track list that was better sequenced and had more production variety.

Culture II is still a very good album imo, and the more music the merrier in that regard. A lot of shyt I'll be bumping year round. What's your take?

Big on Big is top tier, so is Too Much Jewelry.

Motorsport is absolutely terrible.

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

If they kept Huncho Jack beats... this album would be nothing but heat

Charlie Broadway

Greg Ward Jr. SZN
Daps
Reppin
Houston

We pretty much agree on both albums. Part of me wants to cut Culture 2 down to about 14 songs to make the best product possible and then release the rest as a mixtape or playlist or whatever. The other part of me looks at the people’s response to Culture 2 and I see difficulty in choosing which songs to cut out.

Looks like most Migos fans can agree on 8 or so songs that go and 8 or so that are not album worthy. Then there are 8 or so that people either love or hate. You make the wrong choice in leaving a song out and you mess with your money. Like gang gang, I think it’s ok. I can see people loving it and it becoming a hit. I can also see why people would think it’s wack. Hell for me personally I can see it being permanent skip status in a couple months or growing on me to point where it’s one of my favorites.

Culture is much more consistent in every way. I agree brown paper bag is the only weak song on there. It’s rare for a mainstream rap album to only have one skippable song so it was always gonna be a tall order to top Culture. Migos chose to name this new project Culture 2 so they invited the comparisons.

Maybe the excessive tracklist isn’t solely a money grab. Maybe they were split on which songs belonged. Maybe they thought what they had came up short of Culture and decided to give fans a buffet of songs that can be customized into a project that could complete.

I think Culture is better so far but I don’t fault them for making Culture 2 so long.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
Big on Big is top tier, so is Too Much Jewelry.

Motorsport is absolutely terrible.

I could bump TMJ to very good upon second thought but not top tier imo.

MotorSport is great imo. Good beat. All very solid verses.

But again, this is so subjective lol. Respect your opinion.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
We pretty much agree on both albums. Part of me wants to cut Culture 2 down to about 14 songs to make the best product possible and then release the rest as a mixtape or playlist or whatever. The other part of me looks at the people’s response to Culture 2 and I see difficulty in choosing which songs to cut out.

Looks like most Migos fans can agree on 8 or so songs that go and 8 or so that are not album worthy. Then there are 8 or so that people either love or hate. You make the wrong choice in leaving a song out and you mess with your money. Like gang gang, I think it’s ok. I can see people loving it and it becoming a hit. I can also see why people would think it’s wack. Hell for me personally I can see it being permanent skip status in a couple months or growing on me to point where it’s one of my favorites.

Culture is much more consistent in every way. I agree brown paper bag is the only weak song on there. It’s rare for a mainstream rap album to only have one skippable song so it was always gonna be a tall order to top Culture. Migos chose to name this new project Culture 2 so they invited the comparisons.

Maybe the excessive tracklist isn’t solely a money grab. Maybe they were split on which songs belonged. Maybe they thought what they had came up short of Culture and decided to give fans a buffet of songs that can be customized into a project that could complete.

I think Culture is better so far but I don’t fault them for making Culture 2 so long.

Excellent analysis on the situation. There's a grey area of tracks that will fluctuate in terms of opinions with fans for the coming weeks/months etc. Plus as you said, the mere title choice of this album would always naturally draw comparison to the first album, which will go down as a classic imo. Hard to beat that.