Millennials Didn’t Kill the Economy. The Economy Killed Millennials

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
The Economy Killed Millennials, Not Vice Versa - The Atlantic

When researchers compared the spending habits of Millennials with those of young people from past years, such as the Baby Boomers and Gen Xers, they concluded that “Millennials do not appear to have preferences for consumption that differ significantly from those of earlier generations.” They also found that “Millennials are less well off than members of earlier generations when they were young, with lower earnings, fewer assets, and less wealth.”
Millennials aren’t doing in the economy. It’s the economy that’s doing in Millennials.

It’s typical for Millennials to bear blame for dramatic cultural and economic changes when their only crime is behaving like everybody else. For example, last year The Wall Street Journal published a report that cited young people for killing grocery stores. The proof? Consumers ages 25 to 34 are spending less at traditional grocers than their parents’ generation did in 1990. Seems pretty damning. But upon closer examination, the stagnation of grocery stores is a complex story that implicates just about everybody. Americans of all ages are relying more on convenience stores, such as CVS, and superstores, such as Walmart, for food to eat at home, and those institutions aren’t typically counted as grocers in government data. Also, Americans of all ages are eating out at restaurants more. The group shifting its spending toward restaurants the fastest? It’s not 20-somethings. It’s people over 65.

In the biggest picture—from cars and houses to restaurants and grocers—Millennials aren’t serial killers. They’re serial scapegoats.

-----------

The next few years is going to be a grab all for resources.

Plan accordingly :wow:

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
The next few years is going to be a grab all for resources.

Plan accordingly :wow:

I keep trying to stress this to black people but dudes just want to complain about the shyt they can't control and not be accountable for the shyt that they can. It's going to continue to get worse way before it gets better. When you got Dollar tree feeding more people than real grocery stores that's a bad sign.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Generation Y-X were shytty parents :ehh:

Still are (i kid partially but call it like i see it)
Ask how most of us males paying for college rn

They gonna say the same thing

Crack era and freaknik babies. On top of parents who said their kids would “be their friends”.
:mjlol:

Olmec

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Hidden Temple
It's crazy. You'll be luck to get a home for 250K where I live.

Baby Boomers had it easy...they had a house, large family, and a job with security/ unions all by the time they were early 20's. Homes were drastically cheaper around those times.

Gen Y-X started bearing the burdon and decided to save more, because baby boomers were greedy raising home cost and school costs. Hell, it's even 5x more expensive for weddings....spots change the cost at the mention of the word "wedding".

I've stopped eating out as much and not supporting large change stores cause fukk em :yeshrug: . If I spend money, it's going to younger mom and pop stores .

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
The baby boom generation is responsible for telling kids that it’s ok to move out you’re house and start your life at 18-21 lol.

Yea when you live in a diverse city and observe the trend of immigrants you’ll understand why that is stupid ideology.

As a matter of fact school was much cheaper for them and here in NYC community college was free for them.

kuts

All Star
Daps
I'm pretty sure taking on student loans as a way to find a job is the biggest culprit for Millennials being poorer than previous gens. On top of that is rampant materialism, which causes even more setbacks.

I don't think most Millennials are actually happy...there's just really a lack of intrigue and a lack of connection to something greater IMO.