Missy Elliott Donates $50,000 to Cover 26 Families' Past-Due Rents in Her Hometown: 'I Wanted to Give Back'

KingsOfKings

𝔻𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕞 𝕄𝕖𝕣𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥
Daps

Missy Elliott Donates $50,000 to Cover 26 Families' Past-Due Rents in Her Hometown: 'I Wanted to Give Back'​

On the first anniversary of "Missy Elliott Day," the rapper gave a large donation to the Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority in Virginia​

Missy Elliott visits the SiriusXM Studios on August 28, 2019 in New York City

Missy Elliott in New York City in August 2019. Photo:
Noam Galai/Getty

Published on October 19, 2023 05:20PM EDT
Missy Elliott is celebrating her own holiday by helping others.

For the one-year anniversary of Oct. 17 being declared "Missy Elliott Day" in Virginia, the "Work It" rapper returned to her Portsmouth hometown to donate $50,000 to a local housing organization — paying 26 families' past-due rents with the funds.

Elliott, 52, appeared at the Dr. O. Marriner Family Life Center at Grove Church, according to The Virginian-Pilot, to present a large check to the Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority, which the organization's executive director Alisa Winston accepted.

Singer Missy Elliott performs onstage during FYF Festival

Missy Elliott is New York City in July 2017.
Scott Dudelson/WireImage

The "Lose Control" performer told the crowd she spent time pondering how to commemorate "Missy Elliott Day" before deciding on the generous move.

"Instead of it being a celebration of Missy Elliott, you know about me, I wanted to give back and let that be the celebration of Missy Elliott, just to show that I love everybody out here," she said, per the outlet.

Elliott also spoke about how her "giving heart" and hometown appreciation were learned from her mother, Patricia Elliott.

Just know that P-town is with me no matter where I go," she said. "I love my city. I love my state. I love everything about it. Everything about Missy comes from here — the hospitality, the humility, the confidence — if you mess with me, it’s a problem. We sweet, but don’t try us.”

missy elliott

Missy Elliott. Paras Griffin/Getty
After Elliott's speech, Winston told the audience her donation would cover 26 families' past-due rents. The move meant a lot to Patricia. "So when you give, you give because you remember those days when you didn’t have," she said after the ceremony, per The Virginian-Pilot. "If each person would give when they get to the top, then, what a real beautiful world we would be in."

Last year, Oct. 17 was declared "Missy Elliott Day," and the Grammy winner was honored with some of Portsmouth's McLean Street renamed to Missy Elliott Boulevard.

US rapper Missy Elliott poses in the press room with 'The Video Vanguard Award' during the 2019 MTV Video Music Awards at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on August 26, 2019. (Photo by Johannes EISELE / AFP) (Photo credit should read JOHANNES EISELE/AFP via Getty Images)'The Video Vanguard Award' during the 2019 MTV Video Music Awards at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on August 26, 2019. (Photo by Johannes EISELE / AFP) (Photo credit should read JOHANNES EISELE/AFP via Getty Images)

Missy Elliott. JOHANNES EISELE/AFP/Getty

On Tuesday, Elliott shared photos of herself at the boulevard to X (formerly Twitter) alongside a heartfelt caption. "I been through MANY ups and downs but it’s nothing like having FAITH! God I thank you for FAVOR," she wrote.

"If anybody feel like quitting NO just hang in there your BLESSING may be coming sooner than you think! Just keep PUSHING even through tough times," continued the musician. "You built 4 it!"