More than half of gamestop customers don't know they can trade games

dBoyFresh*212

All Star
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
the coli
Most - as in more than half - of those who shop at GameStop don't know they can trade in their games for store credit or cash. Let that one sink in.

Tony Bartel, the mega-retailer's president, said this to VentureBeat yesterday. "Believe it or not, only 40 percent of the people who walk into a GameStop store today know that we accept trades of games," he said.

It seems bizarre given hardcore gaming's love-hate relationship with the chain, both using old games (or ones no longer wanted) as a form of currency put toward buying new ones, and resenting the markup then applied to those used games.

More evidence that hardcore gamers are not the majority of an enormously diverse constituency, even if their tastes drive a lot of the decisions in the console business.

Bartel said GameStop sees about $1.2 billion in store credit on used games spent in its stores, saying that 70 percent of that goes to buying new games. That's a key point for him to make; publishers and developers think that the used game business harms new sales.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Since when have they given any gamer straight cash value for games, its always been store credit! :leostare: when i go there...

blockburna420

Consecutive thumbs up
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I don't understand why people still fukk with gamestop with the likes of craigslist and ebay around. I haven't been inside of a gamestop in like 4 years.
its convenient, most people dont want the hassle of directly dealing with the internet or other people

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Since when have they given any gamer straight cash value for games, its always been store credit! :leostare: when i go there...

they give cash...they maybe don't push it but it's such an amount that you would feel offended when they say it....Either that or its a difference between the corporation and franchise stores.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I don't understand why people still fukk with gamestop with the likes of craigslist and ebay around. I haven't been inside of a gamestop in like 4 years.

even if there was no craigslist or ebay, its not like there aren't other big box stores competing with gamestop to buy/trade in ur old games like target and best buy.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Most - as in more than half - of those who shop at GameStop don't know they can trade in their games for store credit or cash. Let that one sink in.

Tony Bartel, the mega-retailer's president, said this to VentureBeat yesterday. "Believe it or not, only 40 percent of the people who walk into a GameStop store today know that we accept trades of games," he said.

It seems bizarre given hardcore gaming's love-hate relationship with the chain, both using old games (or ones no longer wanted) as a form of currency put toward buying new ones, and resenting the markup then applied to those used games.

More evidence that hardcore gamers are not the majority of an enormously diverse constituency, even if their tastes drive a lot of the decisions in the console business.

Bartel said GameStop sees about $1.2 billion in store credit on used games spent in its stores, saying that 70 percent of that goes to buying new games. That's a key point for him to make; publishers and developers think that the used game business harms new sales.
who in the hell would want to trade in a game they bought last week for $1.59

anyways this is all bullshyt

if you walk in the store, there's huge ass signs saying you can trade... there's an entire used section... and when you ask them about anything, they tell you, you can bring in old games

how the hell did he even come up with that number?? ask everyone who walks in "do you know you can trade games in" before they see anything else?? and he clearly says "people who walk in" so they not even customers yet...

:camby: with that PR nonsense... he just trying to the tell the game companies to :whoa: on some "they don't even know they can do that, so we ain't harming you" tip

Sleepy Walker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cincy
fukk Gamestop. I bought HomeFront of the strength of this guy I trusted who worked there. The game was garbage, so I took it back the next day and they offered me $30 something that was my last time going there.