My Adventures With Superman (HBO Max, Adult Swim animated series) - trailer out!

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
Anyway, my thoughts on the show so far (based on the first two episodes):

I like it so far; it's OK. Not groundbreaking, but decent. The art style reminds me of another anime-influenced show (Voltron: Legendary Defender), and I like it.

I also like the design of Superman's suit and Lois Lane's characterization so far.

My only "cons" right now is that while Jimmy's characterization is alright, his alien obsession is kind of annoying. Also, the pacing of the show could be better.

There is no major complaints for me, though. I'm interested to see how the story goes and how the show develops for the rest of the season.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
I'm watching, it's okay.

Like the throwback art,

LUH The News"kid" Legion,

don't like Jimmy "Little Richard" Olsen

Is it me or is the image of young Clark with the jacket/hood almost iconic at this point

*after watching ep 2*: nah nevermind that. this is guuuud. :mjgrin:

Last edited:

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Nope, this is one of the central pillars of Superman's character and identity. He's not "Superman" without it.
The original Superman was just an orphan.

It’s been done 2 times in recent animation plus MOS. To be fair the last movie did a good job with the alien/human/parasite angle.

Like we get it.

Would love a take on Superman that’s just I’m here to help and he just has to deal with not knowing why he’s here or why he’s alone, but just doing what’s right for him.

Krypton has become a crutch for modern writers

King Static X

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
The original Superman was just an orphan.
Yeah, Superman's an orphan from the planet Krypton lol. His parents sent him to Earth as Krypton was being destroyed.

He lands on Earth as a baby/toddler and is adopted by the Kent family in rural Kansas. When he gets older (usually during his teen years), he discovers his superpowers and thus has an identity crisis. That's been Supes story from the beginning.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Yeah, Superman's an orphan from the planet Krypton lol. His parents sent him to Earth as Krypton was being destroyed.

He lands on Earth as a baby/toddler and is adopted by the Kent family in rural Kansas. When he gets older (usually during his teen years), he discovers his superpowers and thus has an identity crisis. That's been Supes story from the beginning.
The original story had no Kents. He was just an orphan in an orphanage. He just became Superman.

I’m not saying get rid of the Kents. But the whole point of modern Superman is that Earth is his home. He’s never going to choose Krypton over Earth so just emphasize the struggle of being Superman on Earth and less..why am I here.

Last edited:

King Static X

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
The original story had no Kents. He was just an orphan in an orphanage. He just became Superman.
I just reread the first Superman comic, and while he is still sent from another planet. You're right; he was put in an orphanage. I'll give you that.

I’m not saying get rid of the Kents. But the whole point of modern Superman is that Earth is his home. He’s never going to choose Krypton over Earth so just emphasize the struggle of being Superman on Earth and less..why am I here.
It's not about "choosing Krypton over Earth", it's literally an identity crisis.

If you woke up one day (especially if you were a kid) and had superpowers, you would be extremely confused and question your entire existence. Even further when you realize that you're from another planet and that planet is gone.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
I just reread the first Superman comic, and while he is still sent from another planet. You're right; he was put in an orphanage. I'll give you that.

It's not about "choosing Krypton over Earth", it's literally an identity crisis.

If you woke up one day (especially if you were a kid) and had superpowers, you would be extremely confused and question your entire existence. Even further when you realize that you're from another planet and that planet is gone.
Is this a Superboy adaptation or a Superman adaptation?

Cause yeah if he’s still in Smallville then yeah I expect the angst. But since we’re talking about Superman, an immigrant story, yeah you can’t go home. Yeah your family is gone. There will always be a hole. Your culture has been taken from you.

But just like immigrants, focus on what opportunities you have and move forward. I’d like to see an adap were he just doesn’t know why. But he does have the Kents and Earth and Superman. His choices.

King Static X

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
Is this a Superboy adaptation or a Superman adaptation?
Huh? In most adaptations, Superman usually finds out that he has powers when he is a teenager, but sometimes he finds out earlier (like in this show).

This has nothing to do with Superboy.

Cause yeah if he’s still in Smallville then yeah I expect the angst. But since we’re talking about Superman, an immigrant story, yeah you can’t go home. Yeah your family is gone. There will always be a hole. Your culture has been taken from you.

But just like immigrants, focus on what opportunities you have and move forward. I’d like to see an adap were he just doesn’t know why. But he does have the Kents and Earth and Superman. His choices.
Huh? Have you watched a Superman cartoon before lol? Also, your statements don't really have anything to do with what I said.

In most adaptations, Superman learns to accept his status as "Earth's greatest defender and protector." However, he still deals with the identity crisis of being an "alien" (the persona of "Superman" is his Kryptonian side) while also being a "human" (his alter ego Clark Kent and his adoptive human parents, the Kents).

Superman's attempting to balance those two things are central to his character.