My Favorite Dog, The American Akita :blessed:

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
Even though I prefer malamutes over these guys, they really are wonderful work related dogs with high energy motors that are great with kids once socialized and trained right.

The puppies are mad adorable though and that's one mistake I wish people who well them would look to point out in people that look to potentially buy them being first time dog owners. It WILL grow into a very energetic dog that needs space and activity.

Agreed. Those are two of the main keys to safely owning Akitas. Keep them active and give them space. As you stated, people see them when they’re puppies and it’s “omg I have to have one!” And often times it’s people who have no patience no idea how to train a dog, let alone dominant independent-thinking breeds, and no time or space to give the dog. And they end up with a high energymonster on their hands that they can’t control, give it up to a shelter, unable to be adopted out because of it’s aggressiveness due to its lack of socialization, inevitably landing the dog a death sentence by lethal injection.

O.G.B

Real O.G.
Daps
:pacspit:fukk An Akita:pacspit:

:mjlol:

One got loose one day when I was at work and my wife was pregnant and walking our Huskey (RIP) . Damn dog just runs up and attacked my dog. Changed her whole demeanor for the duration of her life she was 3 at the time. And never wanted to play with other dogs afterwards.
I rushed home from work and went looking around the neighborhood like "Dough-boy" and his crew after they shot Rickey. Didn't find the dog, but found its house and owner and ran them pockets... But ever since then it's always been :pacspit::pacspit: to Akitas as as a staff, crew, and record label

:mjlol::dead:

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
Nah and 1 of 2 of theirs gone, its my neighbors.

i should have know given they history:snoop:

theirs went 2 days b4 mine thats how i knew

Damn man I’m sorry to hear that. I know how you feel. Two of my 3 pit bulls I once had all caught it. I was able to save one(my favorite thankfully) using homemade remedies but lost the two siblings. It’s rough waking up to a dead dog in your living room or bedroom man. It sucks. Parvo is a mf. Ever since then I don’t play when it comes to getting them vaccinated against it.

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
Agreed. Those are two of the main keys to safely owning Akitas. Keep them active and give them space. As you stated, people see them when they’re puppies and it’s “omg I have to have one!” And often times it’s people who have no patience no idea how to train a dog, let alone dominant independent-thinking breeds, and no time or space to give the dog. And they end up with a high energymonster on their hands that they can’t control, give it up to a shelter, unable to be adopted out because of it’s aggressiveness due to its lack of socialization, inevitably landing the dog a death sentence by lethal injection.

True words and it's something that responsible folk need to deal with in terms of doing the science behind the temperment and conditioning of the breed of dog they are choosing, past just liking how it looks and seeing "Happy" pictures that they want for themselves. When my friend was living over in Connecticut, the elderly couple next door got gifted an Akita by their kids 'cause it "Looked cute" and they felt like the dog would have been perfect for an elderly couple (80+) who were taking walks and wanted to be active.

To make a long story short, first day out the chute, the puppy runs about 5 blocks away once it's out the gate and from that day they got really afraid of taking it out and kept it locked up in the backyard since they don't have the energy to deal with it. The thing grows up into a very cute (But high energy) loveable beast, the old man dies (RIP Private Whittaker) and the old lady gets feeble to the point that making it to the mailbox is a chore and she on Wheels on Meals and meds status and that dog is just in the backyard....GOING APE shyt.

I was there for a month and after bonding with the damned thing I made it my goal to take it out for a few hours and around the block for exercise and the old lady was so fukked amazed at how well behaved it was and playful, because they always thought he was a bad sort, always wanting to "Run away" whenever they let him go. Had to explain that he's not so much running away, but he's running with the expectation that you'd keep up. They were afraid to leash him after I think he tugged one of 'em onto the pavement and would have fractured that hip had it been on pavement rather than the softer uncut grass I started to tend to my month of being there.

Had their kids simply gotten them a more obedient and easy going Golden Retriever or a mutt of some sort that would dote around it's caregiver, they would have been fine as shyt, but noooo...they fell in love with that "Cute husky" look and died having a dog they couldn't understand for shyt (God rest their souls) until someone explained it to 'em.

They would have gave him up to a shelter had it not been a gift, I'm sure. People need to stop treating dogs like guitars, opting to get the ones that look the best as opposed to having one that fit their playstyles/lifestyles.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
dso9p4.gif

Rest easy, King.​

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
How are they around kids and babies?

If it's the kids first interaction with dogs, I'd say nix it, since kids tend to abuse animals naturally through play and curiosity and that tends to lead to some situations where a growing dog might accidentally knock down or look to engage in animal rough housing with said kid and scare 'em if they aren't used to it. Kids pulling and tugging on these type of dogs often enforce negative traits in said animal who might see it more as a nuisance rather than someone to play and subsequently protect, so the kids are gonna have to learn about this if they haven't already through having other dogs in their lives.

Also Akitas and other dogs of the same temperament are the "Fetch" types, meaning that they like to take things in their mouths and carry them from place to place. Younger kids might be a bit put off at dogs slobbering/biting their toys and that might cause another round of conflict, so a parent/adult would have to be there to be the dominant one and let both kid and dog know that they are following a lead as companion and charge.

Plus there's the socializing that an adult is gonna HAVE to be there for since these dogs can get really aloof and snooty when they perceive kids as problems and strangers as something they aren't used to and the last thing you want is a despondent dog.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
From ‘96-00 I had a male and a female. When I got them I knew nothing about Akitas other than the mom who lived in a crib near mine looked sick in the head type crazy and it used to scare the sh*t out of me- and it made me want one. Instead, I was given two and they became my favorite dog breed ever since: the American Akita.
  • Height: 26-28 inches (male), 24-26 inches (female)
  • Weight: 100-130 pounds (male), 70-100 pounds (female)
  • Life Expectancy: 10-13 years
Akitas are burly, heavy-boned spitz-type dogs of imposing stature. Standing 24 to 28 inches at the shoulder, Akitas have a dense coat that comes in several colors, including white. The head is broad and massive, and is balanced in the rear by a full, curled-over tail. The erect ears and dark, shining eyes contribute to an expression of alertness, a hallmark of the breed.

Akitas are quiet, fastidious dogs. Wary of strangers and often intolerant of other animals, Akitas will gladly share their silly, affectionate side with family and friends. They thrive on human companionship. The large, independent-thinking Akita is hardwired for protecting those they love. They must be well socialized from birth with people and other dogs.

Akita-On-White-01.jpg

e8d1509018331dc2af5b2aec8552aebd.jpg

eac71308f47cf6a88fd72d02d32ac904.jpg

American-Akita-long.jpg

Akita_Hero_Colleen_Sullivan_Cuervo_Snow_06_copy.jpg

Image-uploaded-from-iOS-2-2.jpg

605d8083f343c135c1ab2fafba546f8e.jpg

0b4a72efbe192e46b4f520e1a42538ef.jpg

Puppies
b43c3de75e0759d91f0e076eb9dd70d3.jpg

0f947d1b1b5e9f776243c0c108877580.jpg

Thick, round necks and broad muscular chests and shoulders are trademarks of the breed.
0gUAcBwF94QGjWeBnbiYS_9NGhorXYzy9qN4WWmzApkZtfvqeKaSRBgBdJgfCfjdSSDLzN6HKnqiZLAXd2hHwHmyvfol5mvr_evrKncOnMHI-1gh5sDI1qLz7LLyQclKIRxtlJ37ApAKhVp6epqilb-K

darkarakitas%20-%20Copy.jpg.opt600x480o0%2C0s600x480.jpg

If you’ll notice, the American Akita always, no matter their color scheme, has a black mask. This is one feature that drew me to them as a kid. To see a big, unfamiliar Akita staring at you with that alert hair-trigger expression, behind that black mask, it’s downright chilling brehs. No other dog ever made me feel as shook to my core. And of course I fell in love with them from that day on. Anyway, I say alllll that to say that the only American Akita that does not have the trademark black mask of a face are the rare all white ones. If you’re old enough to remember the OJ Simpson fiasco as it happened, you’ll remember the helicopter following Nicole’s dog through the neighborhood as it had gotten loose from the fence being left open. It was an all white dog, if you remember. That was an all white American Akita. And they’re the only American Akita’s without a mask.
84d3080d6255c8e5347c7bf6c4a03b3b.jpg

In terms of looks, demeanor, personality, and heritage, it doesn’t get much closer to owning a real life bear than owning a big ol male American Akita. :smile: (shut up Chow owners). It’s probably not a stretch to assume their bear-like aura has been cultivated over the centuries of originally being used in ancient Japan(the Japanese Akita Inu) to hunt bear- because of the Akita’s strength, toughness, and fearless/relentless nature.
03a1c0084bc858c46e1f1d164bf4ff6a.png

Akita-640x435.jpg

American_Akita%20(4).jpg

*typos
Ugly ass dogs

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Miss my Akita brehs... :mjcry:

Definitely getting another one... as soon as I have a house on enough land for him to be able run freely. I don’t think I would ever get another one otherwise. Mine was trained exceptionally, but I still always wished he had more space to roam/live in. Didn’t feel fair to keep that big majestic dog in a city in hindsight, no matter how much I loved him.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
somebody on got one around the same time i got my pup:jbhmm: cant remember who.

i wonder how its going.

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/getting-a-dog-what-should-i-know.788458/

If that was the thread you meant, its going great.

My sister was actually thinking of getting one as well based on how well behaved mine is.

He wakes up around 5 and we go for a 2 hour run. He'll have some blueberries and potatoes before or after in a healthy amount and some chicken legs throughout the day among other fruits and vegetables.

I basically never sleep because of school and work, but he ends up giving me a break sometimes.

He is my first real dog but I did my diligence through prior research and consulted with dog owners I made friends with.

Wouldn't trade my Inu for any other.