Name two completely unrelated films with the same basic main plot device

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
My mind was randomly wandering and I realized that "Signs" and "Mystery Men" have the same basic premise.

In both movies a group of loveable misfits with weird traits are trying to overcome some all-powerful existential evil. The entire movie their traits are emphasized as useless and almost counterproductive, but the movie climaxes when each of their weird traits surprisingly work together in an unexpected way to defeat the bad guy.

Heroes:

Graham's family
Weak-ass superheroes

Useless traits:

asthma, water phobia, swings hard but always strikes out
throwing forks, invisible when no one is looking, useless rage, etc.

Existential evil:

Aliens
Casanova Frankenstein

Final battle:

Kill the last alien, surviving due to asthma, water, and bat-swinging
Kill Casanova, surviving due to fork-throwing, invisibility, rage, etc.

But one is a superhero comedy and the other is a sci-fi thriller and no one would ever think of comparing them.

Think of any other examples where two movies from completely different genres are based on the same premise?

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The reason is, in literature, tv, film, plays, all the way back to folk tales and mythology, we are all telling the same stories to reflect values, and structurally they all follow about the same path.

lol@ at Mystery Men, what a forgotten mess of a movie, from 1999? August, I think. it was one of those all time bad movies/flops.

DaylitoJames

#SnitchGang Elite
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sneak Nation
movieposter.jpg
and
Glitter_Movie_Poster.png
was pretty much the same damn movie

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
I would also say The Dark Knight and Heat in a way. While the plot is different, there are some elements that are similar...
  • Starts off with a Daylight Robbery
  • Provides narratives not just for Batman, but also for the Criminals and the Legal Side (Harvey Dent/Gordan); Heat provides narratives for the Cops and the Criminals.
  • The build-up leads to an exciting 3rd Act when all of the shyt pops off; Batman trying to stop Joker, along with the ferry bombs while Pacino's group gets into a intense shootout with De Niro.
  • Also it breaths life into the city itself. Now just for the characters, but it makes it feel like the city itself is alive.