Nate Diaz: UFC has put me ‘on the shelf’ so I’m applying for boxing license

CEITEDMOFO

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
usa_today_9493972.0.jpg

It’s tough to satisfy a Diaz brother in the UFC. Even on a good day, the Diaz brothers will always find a way to channel their frustration.

Younger brother Nate Diaz, who fought Conor McGregor in two classic fights at UFC 196 and UFC 202, believes the UFC has put him ‘on the shelf’.

Diaz, who is the only man to beat McGregor under the UFC banner, choked the Irishman out at UFC 196 and lost a hard-fought decision in the rematch. The Stockton local hasn’t fought since that rematch in August and is unhappy with the way he’s being treated by the UFC.

Diaz says if MMA’s premier promotion can’t arrange a suitable fight, he’ll try his hand at boxing instead.

“I know what this is: I’m being put on the shelf,” Diaz told Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times in a recent interview. “That’s why I’m trying to get a boxing license.”

UFC president Dana White, though, says he hasn’t heard a word from Diaz since August.

“Nate said the only fight he wants is Conor … I haven’t heard a word from him [since August]. Usually when guys want a fight, they call.”

Diaz applied for a Nevada state boxing license shortly after McGregor announced his acquisition a California state license. Informal negotiations are currently underway for a boxing match between ‘The Notorious’ and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Diaz, 31, says no one in MMA is willing to sign a big-deal fight with him.

“No one in MMA wants it,” he said. “No one says they want a big-deal fight against me. If someone wants to fight, then let’s make a big deal.”

Diaz, a native lightweight, could face the winner of the Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson at UFC 209 or challenge McGregor for the official title in a trilogy bout. Or, given his last two fights in the 170-pound division, Diaz could rematch Donald Cerrone for a welterweight number one contender’s bout if ‘Cowboy’ beats Jorge Masvidal at UFC on FOX 23.

Nate Diaz: UFC has put me ‘on the shelf’ so I’m applying for boxing license

Daps
I don't even think the dude nice with the hands. He's always getting dropped in fights. He's slow and I think his reflexes is shyt. Connor would probably beat him in boxing.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I don't even think the dude nice with the hands. He's always getting dropped in fights. He's slow and I think his reflexes is shyt. Connor would probably beat him in boxing.
Doubt it to be honest.
Diaz brothers are like the two go to sparring partners on the west coast for boxers.
They have higher boxing pedigree.
I don't think Connor would know what to do professionally, especially seeing how quick he gasses.

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Put on the shelf=I'm asking for too much money. Both Diaz bros are delusional

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

He's reflexes has diminished but I never thought of the Diaz Bros style as relying on that. Really more about their durability and endurance more than anything. Not sure how that would translate to pure boxing. By MMA standards they have the right style of boxing. Just like prime JDS had GREAT MMA boxing, but it wouldn't translate to MMA.

Who knows? Conor is getting a boxing license too so maybe the will scrap in the ring. :yeshrug:

Daps
He's reflexes has diminished but I never thought of the Diaz Bros style as relying on that. Really more about their durability and endurance more than anything. Not sure how that would translate to pure boxing. By MMA standards they have the right style of boxing. Just like prime JDS had GREAT MMA boxing, but it wouldn't translate to MMA.

Who knows? Conor is getting a boxing license too so maybe the will scrap in the ring. :yeshrug:
I feel like that would be disrespect to boxing tho. I forgot Diaz has crazy endurance

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
We let the UFC build these guys up and when they are big enough and really want to cash out they can come into boxing :troll:

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
Dana entertaining Conor vs Floyd shows how little he thinks of his own promotion. Diaz vs Conor 3 for the title is a 1.5 million fight if promoted right but he won't make it because Conor might lose

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
Dana entertaining Conor vs Floyd shows how little he thinks of his own promotion. Diaz vs Conor 3 for the title is a 1.5 million fight if promoted right but he won't make it because Conor might lose

do people really want to see Diaz/McGregor 3? i couldn't care less, it does nothing for either of them career wise, Connor has a title to defend and Nate has done NOTHING in recent memory to deserve a LW title shot let alone a WW strap. he needs to shut the fukk up and take some fights, go ahead and fight RDA, Alvarez, El Cucuy or even Edson Barboza. i mean his last fight besides Connor was Michael Johnson he hasn't fought ANYONE in the top 10 besides RDA and McGregor and the RDA fight is 2 years ago! why would he deserve a title shot?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
do people really want to see Diaz/McGregor 3? i couldn't care less, it does nothing for either of them career wise, Connor has a title to defend and Nate has done NOTHING in recent memory to deserve a LW title shot let alone a WW strap. he needs to shut the fukk up and take some fights, go ahead and fight RDA, Alvarez, El Cucuy or even Edson Barboza. i mean his last fight besides Connor was Michael Johnson he hasn't fought ANYONE in the top 10 besides RDA and McGregor and the RDA fight is 2 years ago! why would he deserve a title shot?
Why would people not want to see the 3rd match of a fight between the superstar and the person that dominated him the first time, and the second time was able to win on points.

What combat sport fan wouldn't want to see a trilogy and get a clear winner?
Fact is if Connor can get 25 mil fighting mayweather, he should be able to get 10 mil fighting Diaz again and diaz should definitely get a pay in the range of 1 to 2 mil. Think about this, Berto AND Ortiz got 750k in non title fight headlining Fox. This is a PPV and would be the biggest fight in the UFC that could make or break Connor, but Dana doesn't want it.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If the UFC is scared to put Conor up against a man he might lose against, then that means their whole business model is fukked up.

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
Lmao everyone wants Diaz 3 man.