NBA Jam was programmed to screw over the Bulls, reveals programmer

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM

he was in the earlier cabinets of the game that had already been shipped out. Then they found out he didn't want his likeness in the game but it was already to late

There are only 4 cabinets ever shipped with Jordan in that game and they were created for specific people. What you posted is a hacked rom to add Jordan into the game.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
never had that problem.

art barr

1994 blockbuster videogame NBA jam world record setter score at 96-4

CJ

Your objective semi-troll
Daps
Reppin
6ix
That's a pretty awesome story. I miss arcades...

Kabal had the GOAT combos in MK3 btw. Your opponents would be SEETHING when you hit 'em with that tornado spin move and all they could do is stand there and wait for whatever combo you were about to unleash. :mjlol:

When you got those instructions...

tenor.gif

I def felt God tier for a few weeks brehs :stylin:

.......until the great players started countering the tornado spin with ease. :sadcam: Plus Manager breh moved the difficulty up a notch and I swear that shyt was already difficult on easy (or maybe that was UMK3 which was on some bullshyt) :pachaha:

Last edited:

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps
NBA Jam gotta be one of the all time CPU “cheater” games. The game clock felt faster and you had to damn near be up by 25 (lol) to feel like you would comfortably win. And when it was time for you to make a comeback, those shots just weren’t falling and the CPU was on some defensive player of the century shyt.
Street Fighter EX is up there with it. Standing flash kicks :why:

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
I've got to find the old vhs of me giving my boy work on NBA Hangtime on N64. I would hit record on the vcr and proceed to beat that nikka like there was no tomorrow. A vhs full of 30 point blowouts and 1st half quits:mjlol:No idea what motivated him to keep trying, I was like 68-2 against him and averaged like 30 steals/shoves a game:dead:

Hang time > nba jam I had it for Sega and 64

Anyway I'm pretty sure I read about this years ago..I don't think this is breaking news

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/25/15059018/nba-jam-michael-jordan-secret-rom-mark-turmell
NBA Jam’s mythical Michael Jordan version may yet survive

Creator says he’ll dig through his old EPROMs

By Owen S. Good Mar 25, 2017, 12:32pm EDT
NBA_JAM.0.png
NBA Jam/Midway
The legend of the NBA Jam with Michael Jordan in it will not, and probably never will, die.

The game's creator has again reignited hopes that that a copy of this EPROM, custom-built for His Airness and two other hall-of-famers and shared only with them 24 years ago, may become public. Doing a Reddit AMA yesterday, Mark Turmell suggested he "will try to dig up" anything he still has, and maybe even show it to the general public.

The story goes like this: The original NBA Jam, launched in arcades in 1993, was developed by Turmell, working for Midway in Chicago, where Jordan was of course playing for the NBA's Bulls.

Jordan was in early builds of the game and had appeared in video games before. But, Turmell said, Jordan's marketing pact with Nike caused him to opt out of the NBPA's group license "weeks before we were to ship nationwide." Jordan was also involved in two solo video games (as many top stars did in those days) with Electronic Arts at that time, and that could have played a role in him pulling out of the group license.

Even without Jordan, NBA Jam quickly became a sensation. By early 1994 it was the highest-earning arcade game of all time. Up in Seattle, the SuperSonics' Gary Payton — who likewise was not in the first NBA Jam (he was in the Tournament Edition update, however) — and the Mariners' Ken Griffey, Jr. thought it was a scream.

They "reached out through their agents to get a custom game with themselves included, and said Jordan wanted to be included as well," Turmell said. "So we made special EPROMs and gave them to the three."

A Redditor then asked Turmell if there was "any chance [he ] could dump those EPROMs to the Internet." Turmell replied. "I could! Will try to dig up."

Polygon checked with Turmell on what he meant by this remark. "I was referring to EPROMs." he said. "I have a cabinet stored away with sets of them.

"Have to see how they're labeled when I get in there," he went on. "Can't imagine getting into any trouble at this point!" meaning he foresees no rights issues with sharing whatever he has.

Turmell is currently working on Wizard of Oz: Magic Match, a free-to-play mobile game from Zynga that is fully licensed by the film's rights holders. Turmell joined Zynga in 2011 after reviving NBA Jam for EA Sports in 2010.

Jordan had an on-again, off-again relationship to licensed video games during his playing prime, beginning with 1988's Jordan vs. Bird: One on One, by Electronic Arts. He missed much of the 1990s because of his licensing holdout and retirement. He featured prominently as a retired star in 1999's NBA Live 2000, and returned for NBA 2K2 and NBA Live 2002. By then, he was a member of the Washington Wizards in an ill-fated two-year return from his second retirement.

Nine years later, with 2K Sports' NBA 2K11, he returned as a Chicago Bull in a landmark edition of that franchise. He has been available in the series' classic teams rosters ever since.

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
Midway always pulled ho shyt with every game they made.

I would be whooping ass in this game, then all of a sudden Yokozuna or Bret become unstoppable.:pacspit:
shyt you think that's bad, all I had was a gameboy

There's nothing more humiliating than getting your ass beat routinely by an 8-bit smudge while you try to figure out if you're the blob that's supposed to be stone cold or the blur that's the undertaker, meanwhile your health meter goes down to 0 and you have to start over :stopitslime: