NBA Parity Era leading to everybody getting slandered APPRECIATION. (Stan wars officially dead?)

concise

Veteran
Daps
Nuggets being down 2-0 means we are really at risk of the league tying its longest streak of not having repeat finalists that it set in the late 70s (Five straight seasons).

Instead of appreciating it, what are we doing? Slandering everyone who has won a title from Jokic to Giannis to AD to KD to Kawhi.

This is hilarious. :laugh:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
The parity is great for basketball but what it also highlights is the current lack of a transcendent superstar. The 70s featured Kareem as The League's best player......and he won one title that decade.

Once Magic and Bird came in they ran The League, and of course that baton was passed to Jordan, and so on...

League had great players in the 70s, but that Russell/Wilt type guy wasn't around...

League has great players in the 20s. None of these guys, as of yet, have shown themselves to be of that upper, upper tier because when those guys come along, they assert themselves on the championship scene...

This is good for the NBA though, and the 2020s may just be a repeat of the 1970s...

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The parity is great for basketball but what it also highlights is the current lack of a transcendent superstar. The 70s featured Kareem as The League's best player......and he won one title that decade.

Once Magic and Bird came in they ran The League, and of course that baton was passed to Jordan, and so on...

League had great players in the 70s, but that Russell/Wilt type guy wasn't around...

League has great players in the 20s. None of these guys, as of yet, have shown themselves to be of that upper, upper tier because when those guys come along, they assert themselves on the championship scene...

This is good for the NBA though, and the 2020s may just be a repeat of the 1970s...
you dont consider Kareem a "transcendent superstar"?

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
you dont consider Kareem a "transcendent superstar"?
By technicality, I guess he was. And by technicality I guess we could call Jokic and Giannis transcendent too...

I'm not sure what term or phrase I'm looking for, but to me there's another level above transcendent, is it generational?

Kareem was transcendent, came in and led a championship run in just his second season. But he didn't effect winning at a dominant level beyond that until he got Magic, and I think that's the hallmark of a higher level of transcendence...

Similarly, we've seen 9 years of Jokic, 11 years of Giannis, they are transcendent just like 70s Kareem, but there's no consistent effect on winning at a dominant level. Those guys come around and we know who they are...