NBA Rumors: Warriors 'Preparing for Years' to Target Giannis Antetokounmpo

Morethan1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
NBA Rumors: Warriors 'Preparing for Years' to Target Giannis Antetokounmpo

The Golden State Warriors have reportedly been "preparing for years" to target Milwaukee Bucks superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo via trade or free agency.

Connor Letourneau of the San Francisco Chronicle reported the update Wednesday and noted the indefinitely delayed 2019-20 NBA season could help the Dubs' cause in their pursuit of the Greek Freak.

"Though all indications are that he's on good terms with team management, league sources believe that Antetokounmpo would want out of Milwaukee if he loses confidence in the franchise's ability to win championships," Letourneau wrote. "This is why the NBA shutdown could buoy the Warriors' chances of landing their long-coveted Greek."

In February, Bleacher Report's Eric Pincus examined how the Warriors' blockbuster trade to acquire Andrew Wiggins from the Minnesota Timberwolves before the deadline set the stage to make a serious charge at Antetokounmpo if he doesn't sign an extension with the Bucks.

"The pick Golden State acquired from Minnesota could be a gold mine, especially if coupled with the Warriors' own lottery pick," Pincus explained. "And if it's not Antetokounmpo, the Warriors will be well-positioned to go after the next superstar who becomes available via trade."

Antetokounmpo is under contract with Milwaukee through the 2020-21 season, but if he doesn't sign a long-term extension during the offseason, the team may be forced to explore trade options to avoid the potential of losing him to the open market in 2021.

The reigning NBA MVP said in September he wasn't going to discuss his contract status during the campaign to avoid distractions during the team's championship pursuit.

"I'm not gonna talk about it a lot this season, and I'm not going to try to address it," Antetokounmpo told reporters.

360Waves

2 girls and they get along like I'm Lou Will
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Warriors have nothing to offer.

Giannis doesn’t strike me as the type to go get a cheap ring with a squad that’s already won solely to boost Currys legacy.

League shutdown = money loss which means we’re gonna see some major cap shrinkage that will hurt their ability to make this happen.

Also, the guy who “reported” this is a beat writer for the Warriors :mjlol:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Warriors have nothing to offer.

Giannis doesn’t strike me as the type to go get a cheap ring with a squad that’s already won solely to boost Currys legacy.

League shutdown = money loss which means we’re gonna see some major cap shrinkage that will hurt their ability to make this happen.

Could have said the same thing about Durant 3 years ago...

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
Would Wiggins, this year's first rounder, and Minnesota 2021 first rounder be enough to get it done?
fukk no.

If somebody was so good that you’d take on the worst contract in the league, wouldn’t that player be picked in the top 3 where you can’t use the pick anyway?

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC

Yeah he would. Players want to win championships and live a good lifestyle. Giannis is in his prime he don’t have time to waste. He’s not concerned about “boosting“ Curry’s legacy.

And the Warriors he’s joining aren’t the same Warriors so it wouldn’t be a cheap ring. He’s joining an early 30’s Steph, post ACL tear Klay, and a washed Draymond.

If Giannis leaves it will be for Golden State or Toronto.