Need advice for creating a certification curriculum

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My brother works for a small Uni and he has been tasked with creating a Continuing Education curriculum. We was asking for advice on what kinds of IT certification classroom and online courses he should start out with for a brand new curriculum been built for the ground up?

I’m work as a program manager so I wasn’t able to help him and thought I’d pose that question here.

Snoopy Loops

All Star
Daps
IT is pretty broad. Would need to know what subfield.

Check this github link, should be a good start. Has a list of tech roadmaps, but they're software engineering centric.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
My brother works for a small Uni and he has been tasked with creating a Continuing Education curriculum. We was asking for advice on what kinds of IT certification classroom and online courses he should start out with for a brand new curriculum been built for the ground up?

I’m work as a program manager so I wasn’t able to help him and thought I’d pose that question here.
Truthfully this is not something that you or your brother should be trying to put together. Who is supposed to be teaching these courses? I would hope it would be someone who is certified. They should be the one helping put the curriculum together.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Truthfully this is not something that you or your brother should be trying to put together. Who is supposed to be teaching these courses? I would hope it would be someone who is certified. They should be the one helping put the curriculum together.

He’s an admin at a university. His job to put the program together and then hire instructors. Just trying to help him get going.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
He’s an admin at a university. His job to put the program together and then hire instructors. Just trying to help him get going.
What is the goal of this curriculum? Are you just trying to get students to pass a test for a cert, courses that will count towards a degree, both? IT is so broad so it's hard to even begin trying to purpose ideas. The github link that @Snoopy Loops provided can assist but that would only work for a developer/programmer curriculum. IT is much more than that.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Yeah, IT is pretty broad.

My suggestion is start out with basic CompTIA certs (A+, Network+, Security+) as a baseline requirement for basic IT skills. Once they're done with those that should at least give them basic knowledge of computer hardware and networking. After maybe have a few different paths they can choose to specialize in (ie. Microsoft Servers, Cisco Networking, Cybersecurity, etc.) with the relevant certs (CCNA if htey choose networking, Microsoft certs if they want to do servers, etc).

If resources are limited I'd probably just have a Cisco path and a Microsoft path since those would be most helpful in getting hired IMO.

Of course, I'm just talking IT, if you also wanted to do Software Development or QA or any of that, obviously that's a different can of worms.