Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
11aae935562639.56fbc08656b8b.jpg

Welcome to the topic of what we call Retro New Wave

This genre of revival music needs a little introduction. Retro New Wave or synthwave is a sub category of electro music that finds it's inspiration on the eighties music, fashion, colors and visuals.

It surfaced circa 2010 so it's relatively young but it's pretty solid and not just a fade. Though already existing, the music got brought to the light by the 2011 movie Drive that played groups like College, Electro Youth and Kavinsky who fit perfectly on the dark, pessimistic and violent atmosphere of the movie. Retro new wave is often the soundtrack of cities like los angeles and miami cause it's also a good drive(esque) music

drivevhscover-e1328277013239.jpg

So the most known groups or individuals at the forefront of the movement are

Electro Youth, Kavinsky, Lazerhawk, College, Megadrive, Droid Bishop, Miami Nights 1984, Tommy 86, Nightcrawler, Gost, Perturbator, Com Truise, Mitch Murder, Power Glove, Kristine, Future Cop, Carpenter brut, Sally Shapiro to name a few

Retro new wave itself have many different flavors within. You have pop acts kinda like cyndy lauper type of singers (Electro Youth, Sally Shapiro, Kristine, Dana Jean Phoenix...) you have pure electro acts (Com Truise, Kavinsky, College...) you have dark electro almost gothics (Gost, Nightcrawler), you have 8bits, video games types (Momoner), lounge types and so and so

But like I said Retro new wave isn't just music. You find it on films, tv shows, video games too

Retro New Wave often comes with a retro 80's imagery vibe with magenta and purple colors, neon lights, being the main colors. Sci fi elements and eighties technologies

tumblr_mvtbgdsitA1s0j2jao1_540.jpg

b859993360e0d106ba386bdb811f4182.jpg

45ec1f32473d4956c0de81578546cdf9.jpg

Now for those you want to have a good introduction on new retro wave, here's several compilation I've made myself who covers a lot of spectrum of the music

Enjoy yourself (it's a big file, 8 compilations)

TransferNow

Long live to the eighties !!!!!

Last edited:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Funny as hell Nightcall is being used in a sound track..shyts a few years old..and I just discovered it earlier this year