New York City is on pace for lowest murder rate in history(and in the country)

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
Not surprising given the entire country has a declining murder rate :yeshrug:

Cities across U.S. on track to log record-low crime rates in 2017

Murder Rate Drops to 33-Year Low
CovmUXtWAAE7g4f.png

Victimization-Rates.jpg

This is partly why I always give the
yawn.gif
when folks talk about [insert here] is the most violent city.
If every city had 0 - 2 violent crimes per year and one city had 3 violent crimes that year, then that city would also be labeled "most violent U.S. city".

What would be the point of "most violent U.S. city" designation when the violent crime rate is at 3 people in a year?

Like wise what's the point when cities have been successfully decreasing violent crime year over year to the point we're now at historic lows?

• Dap
Reactions: Paz

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
This is interesting. Do you feel as if a stricter court system with harsher sentences would make it better?

I definitely agree that Court systems with inefficient alternative to prison programs make things worse but from my experience, I can't cosign harsher prison related ramifications.
This is a tough question. On one hand I’m all for rehabilitation and I am against the mass incarceration of my people. On the other hand it’s not a good look that we got convicted murderers and rapists walking around like its all good. Honestly I think they need to punish violent offenders more harshly but continue to lessen punishment for drug offenders like they did when weed was decriminalized

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
This is a tough question. On one hand I’m all for rehabilitation and I am against the mass incarceration of my people. On the other hand it’s not a good look that we got convicted murderers and rapists walking around like its all good. Honestly I think they need to punish violent offenders more harshly but continue to lessen punishment for drug offenders like they did when weed was decriminalized
Respect.

I understand that.

What's crazy though is we have to acknowledge that most sentences are not LIFE. Nor should they be.

What that means is, almost everyone will be back in that particular community and considering how mental health is not a focus, we have people going back into these communities with the survival behaviors they had to learn in order to survive prison.

Our current system works like one of those old raid commercials. The bait is the dysfunctional and hostile behaviors from prison permeating throughout the community.

I know how hard it is to consider violent offenders getting sentences that are not harsh long sentences but I do believe we need to focus on what science tells us are the most efficient ways to reduce recidivism and also use science to help us determine how to prevent people from going into the system and when they do as low level crime perpetrators, how to correct the trajectory towards being productive members of society.

I think we probably are on the same wave, though, breh. I was just curious.

Related: I remember negotiating offers for defendants and for a drug case or gun possession case, we'd attempt to get a program to prevent the person going into prison and I was fukkING DISHEARTENED when I saw how disingenuous most parties were.

The program had representatives who didn't do their due diligence on whether the person was a good fit.

You'd have many prosecutors who ONLY offered the program because their case load was crazy so they wanted to get a bs case off their queue.

You'd have defense attorneys who weren't honest about how the program would benefit their client and because their goal is specifically to advocate the least punishment, of course they'd agree to a program just to get their client a no jail plea.

You'd have judges who didn't know how to properly enforce conditions for people who violated terms.

shyt was the anti-thesis to why we should be having programs in the first place.

**This is not to say that there weren't genuinely good people in many of those positions at times but the current system is fukkED UP and inefficient.

collateral.

Rookie
Supporter
Daps
No shade, breh,
But I dapped you but then undapped you because of the bolded.

I kind of feel like that mentality is exactly what prevents the forward progress of that type of community. I am aware of the reality of Brownsville and I'm aware that one black middle class family moving in there won't change much but if the trend was for black urban dwellers with growing income - such as myself - moving together as a block into such a community, you'd probably see the metrics trend towards a more optimistic outlook.

Curious to your thoughts. And I used to feel the same way, by the way.

On the main topic: I'm proud of my City for this news. It's not surprising, though. I've been keeping an eye on the increased safety in NY even before gentrification was in full swing.
No shade, breh,
But I dapped you but then undapped you because of the bolded.

I kind of feel like that mentality is exactly what prevents the forward progress of that type of community. I am aware of the reality of Brownsville and I'm aware that one black middle class family moving in there won't change much but if the trend was for black urban dwellers with growing income - such as myself - moving together as a block into such a community, you'd probably see the metrics trend towards a more optimistic outlook.

Curious to your thoughts. And I used to feel the same way, by the way.

On the main topic: I'm proud of my City for this news. It's not surprising, though. I've been keeping an eye on the increased safety in NY even before gentrification was in full swing.
Thats wishful thinking on your part. I don’t think we will ever see a mass migration of middle class black people moving to a inner city neighborhood like Brownsville and try to transform it. So when it comes to a dangerous place like Brownsville you should try to avoid it :yeshrug:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Respect.

I understand that.

What's crazy though is we have to acknowledge that most sentences are not LIFE. Nor should they be.

What that means is, almost everyone will be back in that particular community and considering how mental health is not a focus, we have people going back into these communities with the survival behaviors they had to learn in order to survive prison.

Our current system works like one of those old raid commercials. The bait is the dysfunctional and hostile behaviors from prison permeating throughout the community.

I know how hard it is to consider violent offenders getting sentences that are not harsh long sentences but I do believe we need to focus on what science tells us are the most efficient ways to reduce recidivism and also use science to help us determine how to prevent people from going into the system and when they do as low level crime perpetrators, how to correct the trajectory towards being productive members of society.

I think we probably are on the same wave, though, breh. I was just curious.

Related: I remember negotiating offers for defendants and for a drug case or gun possession case, we'd attempt to get a program to prevent the person going into prison and I was fukkING DISHEARTENED when I saw how disingenuous most parties were.

The program had representatives who didn't do their due diligence on whether the person was a good fit.

You'd have many prosecutors who ONLY offered the program because their case load was crazy so they wanted to get a bs case off their queue.

You'd have defense attorneys who weren't honest about how the program would benefit their client and because their goal is specifically to advocate the least punishment, of course they'd agree to a program just to get their client a no jail plea.

You'd have judges who didn't know how to properly enforce conditions for people who violated terms.

shyt was the anti-thesis to why we should be having programs in the first place.

**This is not to say that there weren't genuinely good people in many of those positions at times but the current system is fukkED UP and inefficient.
Honestly there’s a bunch of factors that contribute to crime. Broken homes, poor education, lack of well paying jobs all contribute. There is no short term fix for those but there can be a short term fix for prisoners. Something needs to be done to help prisoners cope with being on the outside. It’s a real problem

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Thats wishful thinking on your part. I don’t think we will ever see a mass migration of middle class black people moving to a inner city neighborhood like Brownsville and try to transform it. So when it comes to a dangerous place like Brownsville you should try to avoid it :yeshrug:
Do you ever think about gentrification and how weird it is that gentrifiers tend to somehow NOT constantly get shot? Like, not even stray bullets, you know?

Isn't it funny that we see gentrifiers jogging through the parks that are constantly hyped up to be danger zones?

Maybe, that's the gag, huh? Maybe, if middle/upper class black people didn't adopt the idea that walking through Brownsville is tantamount to being a computer character while a 13 year kid is playing GTA, we'd migrate to these areas and avoid exposing our children to influences that make it harder for them to identify with the urban community.

Again, I'm not trolling. just some food for thought.

Honestly there’s a bunch of factors that contribute to crime. Broken homes, poor education, lack of well paying jobs all contribute. There is no short term fix for those but there can be a short term fix for prisoners. Something needs to be done to help prisoners cope with being on the outside. It’s a real problem
Yo....This is something I really care about.

A young brother that I befriended and mentored actually did a Ted Talk on this. Such a brilliant person and I hope more influencers like him take it on.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
:jbhmm:

Well, when you've had people literally raised, shed blood and learn on these streets for decades, whether the force that is known as gentrification takes over, it doesn't make your love of said place any less valid.

I love Brooklyn, too. :wow:

Montez

Superstar
Daps
Didn't someone say crime was out of control on January 20th?

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
shiietttt....that's just one album's worth of murders.

What's really going on??

I'm starting to wondering if these rappers are telling lies. :picard:

collateral.

Rookie
Supporter
Daps
Do you ever think about gentrification and how weird it is that gentrifiers tend to somehow NOT constantly get shot? Like, not even stray bullets, you know?

Isn't it funny that we see gentrifiers jogging through the parks that are constantly hyped up to be danger zones?

Maybe, that's the gag, huh? Maybe, if middle/upper class black people didn't adopt the idea that walking through Brownsville is tantamount to being a computer character while a 13 year kid is playing GTA, we'd migrate to these areas and avoid exposing our children to influences that make it harder for them to identify with the urban community.

Again, I'm not trolling. just some food for thought.

Yo....This is something I really care about.

A young brother that I befriended and mentored actually did a Ted Talk on this. Such a brilliant person and I hope more influencers like him take it on.

That’s an issue that the black community faces. We see one another as the enemy. It is the same reason why George Zimmerman is walking around scotchfree out here but nikkas are getting killed over Jordans. In Jamaica, the locals look out for the white tourists. They never rob the lost white people out there. But let it be you or me, if they aren’t trying to finesse the change out of your wallet they’re holding a machete to your throat. The white gentrifiers have nothing to worry about in these cities.