NFL Player Retires Early So He Can Go to Medical School

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
NFL Player Retires Early So He Can Go to Medical School | Your Black World

One of the saddest experiences in the world can be that of a professional football player. Sucked into the game by the stories of big name athletes signing multi-million dollar contracts, most of the players find that the riches don’t glitter as brightly as they might have hoped. They also find that what they thought would be a long, prosperous career is actually a short one, and that a few years of glory might be easily weighed down by a lifetime of back pain, bankruptcies, and serious brain damage.

Of course this isn’t the story of every professional football player, but it happens too many times to count. We’ve all heard the sad tale about the young man who traded in all of his academic opportunities in exchange for a hoop dream that never comes to fruition. There is nothing more hurtful to observe than a washed-up, unsuccessful athlete who’s been convinced that he’s not good at anything else. As I mentioned to Min. Louis Farrakhan during our forum in Chicago three weeks ago, “It’s sad that someone has told many of these young men that as long as you can throw a football, you never have to learn how to read.”

But the doom and gloom stories aren’t the only ones to be told, and they certainly aren’t the ones worthy of incessant media coverage. My favorite NFL story of all-time is that of Myron Rolle, the one you won’t likely see on ESPN.

Myron Rolle isn’t your typical athlete. He’s an extraordinary athlete. He was an All-American at Florida State University and was drafted in the 2010 NFL draft. He was punished by a lot of teams for being too smart to be the kind of mindless athletic mule that many teams hope for, having the audacity to go study at Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship instead of immediately entering the NFL draft. Rolle had his own vision of the future, and it didn’t involve popping bottles at the club, smoking blunts on the weekends, or trying to carry a ball until he was 40 years old.

Like many other NFL athletes, Rolle finds himself considering retirement in his mid-twenties. Sure, he could keep playing if he wanted to, Lord knows he’s good enough. But instead, Rolle is retiring in order to go to medical school.

“I still received interest from a few teams, and it didn’t have to be over,” Rolle said to Lost Letterman. “Then I said to myself, ‘I can knock my head against the wall for 8-9 years or move on to medicine.’ I was leaving the game with no concussions and dexterity in both my hands, where I could be a neurosurgeon one day.”

If I had a son, I’d want him to be like Myron. When my daughters get married, I’d love for the to bring a man like this to the house. Myron understands a few things that most of us can only see once we are able to elevate our minds outside the psychological matrix that traps millions of black boys into believing that their brilliance only exists when they have a ball in their hands. Myron figured out that real money and career longevity are more likely to be obtained off the field, than on it. Even within the field of professional sports, the guys making the most money for the longest periods of time are the nerdy short guys who went to Harvard, not the big bulky dudes bashing their brains in for a dollar.

The other thing Myron understands is that sports can be a great way to prepare for life. When I went to college and found that I wasn’t fast enough to get a track scholarship, I turned that energy toward my academics (I’d never made good grades in my life). I found that being an athlete taught me the power of determination, work ethic, consistency and courage that served me well during the difficult challenges I faced on my way to earning a PhD. In fact, it was remaining focused during difficult times and in the face of serious racism which allowed me to become the only African American in the country to get a PhD in Finance during the year 2002…..I became the man that I am today from playing sports.

The point here is this: If you’re going to be a baller on the field, you should also be one OFF THE FIELD. Black men don’t have to walk away from sports in order to be successful. But we must translate the tools for our athletic success into opportunities for overall life success. The toughness you need in order to become one of the best football players in the world can also make you one of the greatest surgeons on earth. Most of these skills translate across disciplines, because the common denominators are ability, desire, focus and determination. Anyone who can memorize an athletic playbook as thick as a dictionary also has the ability to study law, medicine, business or anything else.

If I had to choose an athlete of the year, it might be Myron Rolle. If it sounds like I’m giving him too much praise and attention, it’s because he deserves it. Myron is setting a trend that should be replicated by every black male athlete in the nation. He is going to make more money than most of his friends, and he also gets to do it without destroying his body. He has learned to hustle smarter, not harder, and will find success because of it.

We must tell his story to every black boy we know.

TYBG

Ditty Dum Ditty Doo
Supporter
Daps
Great article breh. Now i'm going back to hit the books:ehh:

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
already knew it was gonna be myron rolle. that nikka is :lawd: let him cook

Billy-D_Approves.gif

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
wasn't there a similar story to this? or is it the same one?

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
wasn't there a similar story to this? or is it the same one?

he originally skipped the draft to accept a rhodes scholarship :damn: thats probably what you're thinking about. either way, i feel like his story needs to be everywhere. duke is making a MAJOR statement for a lot of these young black athletes coming up and its not likely we'll have another example like this again... it'd be a shame to let it go unrecognized... meanwhile

http://www.the-coli.com/coliseum/10...urger%94-allen-iverson-damn.html#.UXQ9UspaXIU

:why:

sm0ke

Lin Kuei
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm
I remember back on the :hamster: when he said "nah" to the draft and accepted the Rhodes scholarship, a few dudes were shyttin on him :pachaha:

Of course, it was posted in The Coliseum. Probably be the same story there with this story.

Anyway, I think it's acceptable for me to be insanely jealous of this guy. He's probably better than me at video games, too. fukk him and his god-like skill set.

concise

Veteran
Daps
In all honesty, I always wonder why some of the obviously smarter guys don't go this route. :ehh: Play for a few years, dip.

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

The part about popping bottles and smoking blunts :beli:

But anyway, I applaud this guy for being smart enough to use his brain instead of brawn. People always look at me crazy when I say I would never play in the NFL if I had such skills. The money just isn't worth it to me :manny:

But it needs to be noted that this dude never really had success in the NFL, if any. It looks more like going to med school was his back up plan.

concise

Veteran
Daps
what the fukk else the gonna do? :snoop:

:comeon: Did I not specifically say the smarter guys? Like Rolle, Andrew Luck, Steve Young, etc.

:scusthov: especially Steve Young and the concussions he took later in his career.

TheRtist

Superstar
Daps
Idk why people are applauding this like he quit a drug habit or something like that. Shout outs to him for going to med school but to be honest the decision itself is nothing really super special or groundbreaking....

yes yes applaud the black man for being successful in life first but lets move past that...

Being smart in the NFL is really about saving/investing and making smart moves with your money. I know people get hurt in the NFL and are gonna debate the idea of it not having a garuntee but one can't buy youth/skill but you can technically buy an education. The timeline of pro sports is very limited but the timeline of getting a med school (or any) education is pretty much as long as you are alive and can comprehend & pay for it.

Last time I checked you one can go to med school in a wheelchair but you cant play football.

Shout outs to dude but as far as Im concerned its not a special decision.