NFL Player Retires Early So He Can Go to Medical School

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
^^^ Yeah I get everyone applauding the story, but anyone that had been watching football saw this coming from the day he signed his commitment letter to FSU. He was ALWAYS a standout. He was one of the best football prospects in the nation (the best in NJ). His decision really wasn't difficult.

This is what's always left out of the story. The decision wasn't his to make. The nfl made it for him. He wasn't a coveted player. In fact his football career could be considered disappointing. He came out of high school ranked in the top 100, and was only drafted in the 6th round.

This is the 2006 high school recruiting class: Scouts Inc. is looking back at the Class of 2006 recruiting player rankings - ESPN

He could've never played college ball and still have been as academically successful. His story is NOT one of picking med school over football. It was a story of picking definite success over a "maybe in 3-4 yrs I can get my chance."

I'm glad he's an inspiration to some, but realistically he's been an inspiration since 2006, not because he choose med school over the nfl.

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
Good story, but didn't this guy basically have no career left in the NFL anyway? He was a marginal player.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
These two statements seem like contradictions.

The other thing Myron understands is that sports can be a great way to prepare for life. When I went to college and found that I wasn’t fast enough to get a track scholarship, I turned that energy toward my academics (I’d never made good grades in my life).

The point here is this: If you’re going to be a baller on the field, you should also be one OFF THE FIELD. Black men don’t have to walk away from sports in order to be successful.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
The part about popping bottles and smoking blunts :beli:

People always look at me crazy when I say I would never play in the NFL if I had such skills. The money just isn't worth it to me :manny:
n.

I'd make sure I was just good enough to make the team and ride the bench.

Making 400K a year for 3-4 years is not a bad way to go. Since there's no more padded practices, you literally never get hit.....unless the 2 guys in front of you go down and u have to play

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
^^^ Yeah I get everyone applauding the story, but anyone that had been watching football saw this coming from the day he signed his commitment letter to FSU. He was ALWAYS a standout. He was one of the best football prospects in the nation (the best in NJ). His decision really wasn't difficult.

This is what's always left out of the story. The decision wasn't his to make. The nfl made it for him. He wasn't a coveted player. In fact his football career could be considered disappointing. He came out of high school ranked in the top 100, and was only drafted in the 6th round.

This is the 2006 high school recruiting class: Scouts Inc. is looking back at the Class of 2006 recruiting player rankings - ESPN

He could've never played college ball and still have been as academically successful. His story is NOT one of picking med school over football. It was a story of picking definite success over a "maybe in 3-4 yrs I can get my chance."

I'm glad he's an inspiration to some, but realistically he's been an inspiration since 2006, not because he choose med school over the nfl.

breh thats only AFTER taking the year he would've been drafted off to go study at oxford. let alone the fact that he was missing playing/training time, you don't think that kinda decision affected his prospects once finally did enter the draft? :leostare: like you said, they probably saw the handwriting on the wall and didn't wanna waste the money.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
breh thats only AFTER taking the year he would've been drafted off to go study at oxford. let alone the fact that he was missing playing/training time, you don't think that kinda decision affected his prospects once finally did enter the draft? :leostare: like you said, they probably saw the handwriting on the wall and didn't wanna waste the money.

they take folks with actual criminal records in higher rounds...the packers just waited 3yrs for john jolly to serve his jail sentence to give him another chance. The academic excuse is just that, an excuse. Talent cancels out the fear of his lack of motivation. And he was never scouted as exceptionally talented.

I don't think myron was EVER projected as a first or second round grade in college outside of his freshman year.

6th and 7th round picks aren't supposed to make NFL rosters. Even if he didn't take that year off, he's still a 3rd round reach.

It ain't bad, but....you know. He didn't pick Med School over the NFL. He picked Med School over FSU and his collegiate career.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
He didn't get drafted high because teams weren't sure about his commitment to the NFL. Why would you burn a 1st or 2nd on a guy whose heart is probably in medicine instead of someone you know don't give two Fs about they education and trying to get money in the league.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
He didn't get drafted high because teams weren't sure about his commitment to the NFL. Why would you burn a 1st or 2nd on a guy whose heart is probably in medicine instead of someone you know don't give two Fs about they education and trying to get money in the league.

he was never a first round grade