NY Started Grills, So Why Does The South Claim To Have Started it

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
HERE:
The insertion of gems into teeth has long predated hip hop culture, with rich Mayans drilling pieces of jade into their teeth.[9] Hip hop artists began wearing grills in the early 1980s;[3] New Yorker Eddie Plein, owner of Eddie's Gold Teeth, is often credited with starting the trend.[3][10] Plein made gold caps for Flavor Flav, and then outfitted New York rappers including Big Daddy Kane and Kool G. Rap.[3][10] He later moved to Atlanta, where he designed ever-more-elaborate grills for rappers likeOutKast, Goodie Mob, Ludacris, and Lil Jon.[3][10] Other writers have cited Slick Rickas an important early contributor to the popularity of grills.[5][6]

Grills remained popular in the Southern U.S., especially in Houston or Memphis, even as they rose and fell from popularity elsewhere,[5] and the rise of Dirty Southrappers in the 2000s spurred a nationwide grill trend.[3] During this time, grills frequently appeared in hip hop music, most notably in the 2005 number one single "Grillz," by Nelly, Paul Wall, Big Gipp, and Ali, and in other Paul Wall songs.[8] Wall is known for his grill business as well as his rapping; his clients include Kanye Westand Cam'ron.[8]
More evidence n proof

Get mad nikkaz... These boards been rampant with the east coast hatred time shyt got addressed.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)

Slick Rick was raised in southwest London until he was 12 and then moved to Brooklyn.

So Ice T's FROM Jerz...Kurupt is from Philly...Waka Flocka is 100% New Yorker? 2pac is from Bmore/NY? By your logic, all these things are true. You're from wherever you went to highschool, dumb nikka.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
So Ice T's FROM Jerz...Kurupt is from Philly...Waka Flocka is 100% New Yorker? 2pac is from Bmore/NY? By your logic, all these things are true. You're from wherever you went to highschool, dumb nikka.

What are you talking about? You said he was from the Bronx. He's from London and Brooklyn. I think you're confusing me with the OP you originally were replying to. No need to get disrespectful, especially when you're flat out wrong on your facts. And FYI, Rick claims both.

Last edited:

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
not being able to afford dental work=grills?
Trust someone who's mouth is full of womens jewelry brehs

rahji

I ain't never seen no talking winning nothing.
Daps
Reppin
Glenlivet
So I can just claim an internet gang and everything is wavy and we still respond to the thread?

I'm a vice lord from here on out. But.......... I may switch it up like OP
:skip:

Mikeatris

Supreme Mathematik
Daps
Reppin
My City
I can not even take this post serious if the OP put all the pics on the 1st page and no Just-Ice who actually started the whole gold in the mouth in NY? Plus it was a reason why he wore gold in his mouth and it definitely was not for music purposes.

TXTrill1

All Star
Daps
Reppin
TX
Man y'all NY nikkaz think y'all made everything up :rudy: Get off our dikk