NYTimes: Michigan Gambled on Charter Schools, it lost (long read)

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
67% of California's charter schools met disadvantaged student achievement targets on state tests compared to just 57% of non-charter schools... so I think the results vary:yeshrug:

California's charter schools continue to demonstrate higher academic performance among African American students. For the past five years, African American academic performance has been greater in charter schools than traditional public schools.

In 2009-10, African-American students in charter schools had greater Academic Performance Index (API) Growth scores than their peers in non-charters statewide and in almost all major school districts, including 10 points higher in Los Angeles Unified, 7 points higher in Oakland Unified, 108 points higher in Sacramento Unified, and 218 points higher in San Francisco Unified.

California charter schools are outperforming non-charter schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD). In 2009-10, LAUSD charter school students in every subgroup had greater academic performance than in non-charters, with as much as 115 API Growth points more for charter students with disabilities.

Among traditionally disadvantaged students, those attending charters make greater academic progress than those in traditional public schools. In 2009-10, 74% of charter schools met student achievement targets for disadvantaged students* compared to 59% of non-charter schools. (*these are calculated by assessing California Department of Education "comparable improvement targets")
:obama:

wickedsm

Auntie Mozelle
Supporter
Daps
67% of California's charter schools met disadvantaged student achievement targets on state tests compared to just 57% of non-charter schools... so I think the results vary:yeshrug:

do your charters there have to accept all children [including those with learning or physical/ behavioral issues? esl?]
do you know offhand?

i know in various cases there has been some manipulation of performance stats that way

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
@theworldismine13 @Meta Reign :whistle:

@Shogun are you at a public, private or charter ( :patrice: ) and care to weigh in :lolbron:
Public.

I’m skeptical of Charter Schools only because I’ve seen a lot of shadiness from them. Mostly, they have the freedom to turn kids down or kick them out if they aren’t “meeting the expectations”. This allows them to keep their 100% graduation rates and college matriculation. The only reason they’re allowed to do it, though, is because public schools are still an option for those kids.

Public schools are beset with problems too, so who knows anymore.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal

oh so you're fine with charter schools in those godless liberal states like california but you won't stand up for charter schools in a state like michigan ran by god fearing conservatives? shame on you.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
do your charters there have to accept all children [including those with learning or physical/ behavioral issues? esl?]
do you know offhand?

i know in various cases there has been some manipulation of performance stats that way
I dont know, but its possible the results could be because of something like that.:ehh:

wickedsm

Auntie Mozelle
Supporter
Daps
I dont know, but its possible the results could be because of something like that.:ehh:

that wasnt a trick question by the way, i really just did want to know if you knew any of the specifics there in California
i really would think that the system operates better overall there than in some other states like Michigan or Louisiana