NYTimes: Michigan Gambled on Charter Schools, it lost (long read)

greenygreen

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
excellent article. I really would suggest reading for anyone interested in what completely unregulated for profit Charter schools statewide look like

read the article, can u explain how the charter school system is making the kids performance worse?

wickedsm

Auntie Mozelle
Supporter
Daps
read the article, can u explain how the charter school system is making the kids performance worse?

since they are completely unregulated im gonna go out on a limb and say that clearly contributes to it.
Michigan went from a middle of the road state as far as education goes
to now a bottom tier state, this occured while the explosion of you get a charter and you get a charter!
everybody gets a charter!

as a matter of fact the decline is evident among all races and incomes

do you disagree?
i could go find the quotes but shouldnt have to if you read the article.

i dont have a problem with charters per se, i do have a problem with letting any old moe open a "school"
and get thousands of dollars a year per student and not be responsible for any standards other than their own
:yeshrug:

greenygreen

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
since they are completely unregulated im gonna go out on a limb and say that clearly contributes to it.
to now a bottom tier state, this occured while the explosion of you get a charter and you get a charter!

do you disagree?

i dont have a problem with charters per se, i do have a problem with letting any old moe open a "school"
and get thousands of dollars a year per student and not be responsible for any standards other than their own

ok so there's no connection between the students performance and the charter school system even tho thats the whole articles premise :mjlol: glad we got that cleared up:jawalrus:

michigan sucks at everything cant even get citizens clean water

this and just about everything the new york times writes is garbage marxist propaganda:camby:

greenygreen

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

do you disagree?

ok so there's no connection between the students performance and the charter school system even tho thats the whole articles premise :mjlol: glad we got that cleared up:jawalrus:

this and just about everything the new york times writes is garbage marxist propaganda:camby:

greenygreen

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

do you disagree?

greenygreen

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

do you disagree?

wickedsm

Auntie Mozelle
Supporter
Daps

so michigan sucks
and the NYT is propoganda
and charter schools and their lack of outperforming shytty public schools already in Michigan
and Michigan has unregulated charter schools more so than any other state

so

dont talk bad about charter schools?
:gucci:

i really have no idea what youre trying to get at here

especially since it links back to you quoting me simply saying others should read the article

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All stats in the world of education, whether they come from charter or public school system(s) are not to be trusted.

That in fact is the problem. Everything is done in order to hit various metrics. The actual education that the student does or doesn't receive is almost secondary.

Our inner city public school system (I can't speak for rural areas as I simply don't know) is broken in so many places and in so many ways. It's one of those issues that seems to have no real solution because the actual solution requires us to completely reimagine how an issue is approached. How do you tell a parent who is ecstatic that the charter school his/her kid goes to is not only safe (neighborhood school may be in a war zone) but also is demonstrating improvement - that charter schools should be defunded because a certain percentage of the operators are crooks. Very sad situation.

Finally, while charter schools are able to get funding partly due to the big names (Gates/Bloomberg) that tout them, I also blame teachers unions for making it so easy for all of the distrust/hatred of the public school system to grow.

greenygreen

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so michigan sucks
and the NYT is propoganda
and charter schools and their lack of outperforming shytty public schools already in Michigan
and Michigan has unregulated charter schools more so than any other state

so

dont talk bad about charter schools?
:gucci:

i really have no idea what youre trying to get at here

especially since it links back to you quoting me simply saying others should read the article

charter schools may or may not be good for students but this article doesnt explain why either way and it paints charter schools in a bad light so its propaganda, just trying to help you see this is not a good article and hopefully help you learn how to distinguish marxist propaganda from useful information :myman:

wickedsm

Auntie Mozelle
Supporter
Daps
charter schools may or may not be good for students but this article doesnt explain why either way and it paints charter schools in a bad light so its propaganda, just trying to help you see this is not a good article and hopefully help you learn how to distinguish marxist propaganda from useful information :myman:

lmao. okay.

sure. gotcha.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
excellent article. I really would suggest reading for anyone interested in what completely unregulated for profit Charter schools statewide look like
Coyzl8c.png

wickedsm

Auntie Mozelle
Supporter
Daps

from the article
. Michigan’s aggressively free-market approach to schools has resulted in one of the most deregulated educational environments in the country,

Michigan has the most for-profit charter schools in the country and some of the least state oversight. Even staunch charter advocates have blanched at the Michigan model.

you got me there though breh
let me rush upthread and change that to largely