Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
The 21 Greatest Conservative Hip Hop Songs Of All Time

By Stan Veuger
Stan-600x400-1.jpg

A few months ago, Florida Senator Marco Rubio, a Republican, discussed his love for rap music extensively in an interview with GQ magazine. Eyebrows were raised: The genre is not typically seen as one that appeals to conservatives, in particular social conservatives.

Conservative columnist Mark Steyn put it as follows in a recent podcast: “I think there’s an absence of human feeling in these songs. It’s not just that they’re explicit. When you talk to social conservatives, they get upset because there’s all these bad words in there. It’s beyond that, actually.”

Many rappers, at the same time, openly express their support for liberal politicians and policies: From Jay-Z and his wife Beyoncé raising money for President Obama, to Young Jeezy singing his praises in “My President”:

My president is black, my Lambo’s blue

And I’ll be godd***** if my rims ain’t too

(…)

Mr. Black President, yo Obama for real

They gotta put your face on the five-thousand dollar bill

Yet at the same time — and discussions about discursive practices aside — there is a strong undercurrent of deeply conservative thought expressed in songs by a wide range of some of the most famous rap artists of all. And it is not just the kind of classical-liberal concerns over government overreach in specific policy areas (narcotics, law enforcement) that one would expect based on the attention rap music has received in the public debate, though there is quite a bit of that. As I will show by analyzing the twenty-one greatest conservative rap songs, selected based on a mix of ideological purity (primarily), musical quality, and popular appeal, all three legs of President Reagan’s “three-legged stool” are represented.

The songs I discuss express support not just for pro-family social values, but also for small government and peace through strength. That said, domestic policy receives more attention than foreign policy, a common feature of most contemporary popular music in the West, and partially for that reason, the relative size of the legs reflect the Republican Party’s primary electorate better than its policy platform.

Without further ado, let the ranking commence: 21 rap songs to inspire the conservative movement in the 21st century.

21. Justin Bieber featuring Busta Rhymes – Drummer Boy (2011)
20. 2pac – Keep Ya Head Up (1993)
19. Eminem – Role Model (1999)
18. Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Dogg – Still D.R.E. (1999)
17. Cidinho e Doca – Rap das Armas (2007)
16. Nas – I Can (2003)
15. Wyclef Jean – Perfect Gentleman (2001)
14. Jay-Z featuring Beanie Sigel — Where Have You Been? (2000)
13. Eminem featuring Dr. Dre – Guilty Conscience (1999)
12. 2pac – Brenda Got A Baby (1991)
11. Bone, Thugs ‘n’ Harmony – Tha Crossroads (1997)
10. Kanye West – Jesus Walks (2004)
9. Lauryn Hill – Doo Wop (That Thing) (1998)
8. Warren G featuring Nate Dogg – Regulate (1994)
7. Lauryn Hill featuring Carlos Santana – To Zion (1998)
6. Jay-Z – 99 Problems (2004)
5. 2Pac – Dear Mama (1995)
4. Will Smith featuring Coko — Men In Black (1997)
3. Daddy Yankee – Gasolina (2004)
2. Jay Sean featuring Pitbull – I’m All Yours (2012)

1. The Notorious B.I.G. – Juicy (1994)

“Of course,” you’re thinking. “I knew all along.” The sine qua non of conservative rap, by Christopher George Latore Wallace. A classical rags-to-riches story, The Notorious B.I.G.’s solo debut single is an unapologetic tribute to the Republican Party’s domestic policy agenda. After denouncing the soft bigotry of low expectations (“This album is dedicated to all the teachers that told me I’d never amount to nothin’”), Mr. Wallace reviews how he “made the change from a common thief / to up close and personal with Robin Leach.” Growing up in modest circumstances, personal and professional success “was all a dream,” but this American Dream did eventually come to fruition, home ownership in the land of plenty included (“Condos in Queens, indo for weeks”). Despite an adolescence marked by financial struggles (“We used to fuss when the landlord dissed us / No heat, wonder why Christmas missed us”), Mr. Wallace has become one of those job creators subject to the top marginal income tax rate:

50 inch screen, money green leather sofa

Got two rides, a limousine with a chauffeur

Phone bill about two G’s flat

No need to worry, my accountant handles that

Life has treated him well, thanks to his skillful hard work (“Now I’m in the limelight / ’cause I rhyme tight / Time to get paid”), and this earned success is cause for celebration, as it has brought an end to his participation in a culture of dependence on Big Government: “Celebratin’ every day, no more public housin’.” But it doesn’t end there: Mr. Wallace now helps the less fortunate with private charity (“And I’m far from cheap, I smoke skunk with my peeps all day / Spread love, it’s the Brooklyn way”). And this dream is open to all who dare dream: “You know very well who you are / Don’t let ‘em hold you down, reach for the stars.”

Last edited: