Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
So according to Coming Soon.net Nakia is a "former Dora Milaje turned agent of Kilmonger's":ohhh:

Also they still describe the DM's "wives in training". I was hoping they'd completely drop that ridiculous angle of the DM history. Feminists are going to have a FIELD day with that
Nakia heel turn from jump??:ohhh:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
C2LC-DlUkAEWrJm.jpg

Nakia heel turn from jump??:ohhh:
Nah I think thats just ComingSoon.Net taking stuff the comics and putting it there. No confirmation of that.

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also they still describe the DM's "wives in training". I was hoping they'd completely drop that ridiculous angle of the DM history. Feminists are going to have a FIELD day with that

Where did they get this information from? ComingSoon could be the ones describing them as wives in training and it's probably not in the script. I mean that was who they were in the beginning.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
So..if BP leads directly to IW then that means Thor and Spiderman are all going on at the same time. GOTG2 I know takes place shortly after the first one. So its a few years behind in the timeline.

I think Thor is supposed to be happening during CW....right after AoU. Spidey is shortly after. Strang took place over months, and it was around WS

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Starting to see more support for Coates :ehh:

@ - Coates's Black Panther is awesome! One of the best runs of 2016, one of the best Black Panther's runs of all time. Very well received by the public, fans and critics. Black Panther movie really should use some of it.

Black Panther (2016) Reviews

1/22/2017, 8:01 AM
@ - I'll defend this run forever. Its just what BP needed. I think some folks thinks its too opaque to love, but not me.

But what's most impressive about Coates' run is Black Panther’s heroism until this series has been measured by his success among the dominant cultural forces of the Marvel world, and not by how he treats his own people. This is Black Panther as nigh-dictator, not superhero.

So readers hoping for the traditional relationship between a comic book superhero and his title, moreover, might be disappointed to find the Wakandan king displaced and decentered in his own book. This series sees the Black Panther forced to deal with the consequences of his frequent trips to other nations and other worlds to participate in more typically superheroic activities. Coates seeks to make the complex political struggle of the Panther’s own nation compelling while questioning his usual superheroics. He's also made the women on Wakanda, the Dora Milaje to be exact, almost the most compelling part of the run.

Yes Coates is inexperienced as a writer of comic books, and as such, A Nation Under Our Feet can be too talky at times and awkwardly paced. But he also challenges the superhero genre to think in complex ways about nation-states, democracy, individual power, and autocrats.

tumblr_o6tqsfQrfS1tcnpluo1_1280.png

- Who knows, maybe that will be a part of Wakanda's depiction, but I cant fault him for subverting expectations and the traditional. Wakanda has always been BETTER but I think like any great empire, it has its shortcomings. Its susceptible to the woes and issues any great nation faces.

Black Panther under Coates, is a layered, thoughtful work of science fiction that forgoes post-colonialist or post-slavery anxieties about Africans’ place in the world, presenting Wakanda as a paradise lost not by white subversion but by the divisions among its own people. That's never been done.

Also, WAKANDA has been recently decimated by everything from Skrull attacks to a tidal wave orchestrated by Namor. Wakanda was once an unbeatable nation, and now it’s a place that’s taken its fair share of lumps the past few years. Making Wakanda relevant again after such devastation, you've got to highlight the tough journey that would be. That includes some serious trials, so unrest and internal conflict is a natural progression after the nation was attacked. There's going to be a weakness.

The country has been attacked by the likes of Doctor Doom and conquered by Thanos’ armies. As a political figure, the Black Panther’s duty is to keep his people safe. He failed. What, then, is the country if it is as vulnerable as all others? What happens when a monarch can't fulfill the basic duty of protecting his people? When the people don't feel safe, social unrest follows.

I think what you're proposing, we were given a taste of in Civil War. Wakandans went to Lagos as a mission of outreach and aid. So by doing that, they're showing a clear interest in seeking to bring goodwill to the rest of Africa. Maybe we'll get more of that. Considering we've heard that the script thoroughly explores African and African-America identity, we could hopefully get an investigation into black folks feelings on Wakanda; those not within its borders.

Coogler has said Coates work has been something he's been reading and absorbing of late so I'm sure we'll get some influences there.

Last edited:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Not surprised. A lot of people like this run, especially outside of traditional comic book circles. Even within said comic book circles, a good amount of people do like it.
Yep. It's why I think if he ends his run strong it might fair well for hardcore BP fans as time goes by. Not saying that will be the case :whoa:....but its got a shot.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Starting to see more support for Coates :ehh:

Not surprised. A lot of people like this run, especially outside of traditional comic book circles. Even within said comic book circles, a good amount of people do like it.

Even in praising it, those people are saying everything that we're saying is wrong with the book. :russ::russ::russ: They're basically praising it over being different from a traditional CB story, a tradition BP portrayal, and potential.

I still think most of the average CB readers are just taking the wait-and-see approach, and are buying out of habit. I think the average CB reader still doesn't find it satisfying. BTW, I just noticed you over at CBR forums. It's been a while since I been there.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Yep. It's why I think if he ends his run strong it might fair well for hardcore BP fans as time goes by. Not saying that will be the case :whoa:....but its got a shot.

It's entirely possible. Things change and so to reader's perception.

Hudlin's run was shytted on initially by many, but ended well enough to change many people's perception of his run in a good way.

Mayberry's run had a decent start. Doomwar started well too. But Doomwar's ending turned off a lot of fans and changed the perception of Mayberry's entire run negatively.

Many fans weren't happy with Liss' run largely due to the premise. By the end of his run, a lot of fan liked his run for what it was.

Even Hickman's run cause a major divide amongst the fan base. But it had an ending that was satisfactory enough for a lot of people.

So long as Coates improves and concludes his run on a satisfactory note, he'll be fine. It's all about sticking that landing.

Last edited: