[Official] Google 10/04/17 Launch Event Thread UPDATE: DISAPPOINTMENT

Boogie

Fire Bickerstaff
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
LIVESTREAM:

The Pixel 2 comes in 5 and 6-inch screen sizes, with the XL model featuring slimmer bezels. It features what Google says is a bolder look with an aluminum body with a soft sculpted back and premium coating, a glass top, and buttons with a pop of color. There's a fingerprint sensor on the back of the device, no headphone jack, and IP67 water resistance.

pixel2-800x713.jpg

Active Edge lets users squeeze the side of the Pixel 2 to activate Google Assistant and do things like silence phone calls, and the OLED display is always-on to display notifications and the time (the 6-inch version uses a P-OLED display). A fast charging feature allows for 7 hours of charge in 15 minutes. The Pixel 2 supports the Google Lens feature, which lets the Pixel camera identify objects in the world, and it includes AR stickers.

googlepixel2.jpg

There are camera improvements, including support for Portrait Mode, a feature similar to the Portrait Mode in the latest iPhones. Portrait Mode on Pixel 2 requires just one camera and is available for both the front and rear cameras. Google says DxO has given the camera a score of 98. For comparison, the iPhone 8 Plus received a 94.

Pricing on the Pixel 2 starts at $649 for 64GB storage. The Pixel 2 XL starts at $849 for 64GB of storage. Pre-orders are available starting today. Google is releasing new wireless Google Pixel Buds alongside the Pixel 2. While these connect to Pixel 2 over Bluetooth, they have a wire between the left and right earbuds, unlike the AirPods. Pixel Buds feature real time language translation and are priced at $159.

googlepixelbuds-800x644.jpg

Google Home Mini features a sleek, smooth design. It's small enough that it fits anywhere in the home. The enclosure is made of a special fabric created by Google to let through light and sound. It comes in three colors: coral, chalk, and charcoal, aka a red, a gray, and a black color.

googlehomemini.jpg

Four LED lights under the fabric let users know that the Google Home Mini is listening, and it responds to touch. The circular shape of the device projects 360 degree sound, for sound that Google says is "amazing." The speaker costs $49 and can be pre-ordered starting today ahead of an October 19 launch date.

Google Home Max is the "biggest and best sounding" Google Home ever, and Google says it's 20 times more powerful than the existing Google Home. The speaker features dual 4.5-inch high-excursion woofers, 0.7-inch tweeters, and an "acoustically transparent fabric" that comes in chalk and charcoal.

googlehomemax-800x473.jpg

Like Apple's upcoming HomePod, Max features Smart Sound that's able to adapt to the ambient environment in the home, adjusting the sound to its location. It costs $399 and will be available in December. The price point includes 12 months of free YouTube Red service.

Google also announced Broadcast, a feature that lets a message from one Google Home be sent to other Google Home speakers, and new learning experiences for children.

As for laptops, Google introduced the high-end Google Pixelbook, its thinnest and lightest laptop yet. Pixelbook is 10mm thick and weighs a kilogram, and it can convert from a laptop to a tablet. It has a 12.3-inch touchscreen, Core i5/Corei7 chips, 16GB RAM, up to 512GB storage, built-in Google Assistant, and 10 hours of battery life.

googlepixelbook-800x511.jpg

It supports a new Pixelbook Pen for writing on the touchscreen and interacting with Google Assistant. Pixelbook is priced starting at $999, while the pen is priced at $99. Both are available for pre-order starting today ahead of an October 31 launch.

Google Unveils Pixel 2 Smartphone, Pixelbook, and Two New Google Home Speakers

Google Home Mini (See All Google Home Mini Video: Google Home | A little help, like only Google can)

Google Home (See All Google Home Videos: Google Home | Learn about new features)

Google PixelBook ( See All Videos: Google Pixelbook | Tips & Tricks)

Google Pixel 2

Google Daydream View

Google Clips

Honestly, I'm a fan of Google but Apple already got so much hype around the iPhone X. I hope Google can deliver.

I really want that Pixel 2 but if I'm disappointed the X it is.

Last edited:

GreenGrass

All Star
Daps
plain and simple - there is nothing new and exciting about the iphone. The brand new features on that iphone are old. secondly, Google phones are not really better. a lot of them have low mega pixels for the camera and we still do not have 2tb of storage on these devices . all they are going to do is release "ultra HD" phones and make you pay them money.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
plain and simple - there is nothing new and exciting about the iphone. The brand new features on that iphone are old. secondly, Google phones are not really better. a lot of them have low mega pixels for the camera and we still do not have 2tb of storage on these devices . all they are going to do is release "ultra HD" phones and make you pay them money.
I thought the pixel prices are just over 500?

GreenGrass

All Star
Daps
I don't care to be honest.
I just want these cell phone companies to release a 5TB phone for the low low. It's a conspiracy. We already have microsd cards at 2TB but they are over priced.

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
I just want these cell phone companies to release a 5TB phone for the low low. It's a conspiracy. We already have microsd cards at 2TB but they are over priced.
who needs a fukking 5TB phone? There is no market for this :what:

Especially given the popularity of streaming services these days.

Boogie

Fire Bickerstaff
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland

You thought wrong :heh:

Pixel/Pixel XL had 1 of the best reviewed cameras what you talking bout? Without none of that dual lenses gimmick shyt.

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mississauga
A google representative stopped by a best buy I work at last week and said he's coming again sometime this week with the Pixel 2. I'll see if I can snag a few pictures of what it looks like. (he said Friday but it could be before)

Tried asking him last week but he was being a professional and didn't uncover anything about the phone.

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
:mjlol:

This dude said he wants a fukkin 5TB phone..

The hell is wrong with you?

GreenGrass

All Star
Daps
:mjlol:

This dude said he wants a fukkin 5TB phone..

The hell is wrong with you?
What is wrong with that? Is having a 2 TB phone any better? it's just storage, brehs.. micro sd cards has improved a lot but a lot of these companies are kind of holding back their products for selfish reasons which is mainly greed.

i think the largest card you can buy is 256 GB which is bullshyt..

fukk these companies.