Official Steam Deck thread. Steam handheld gaming device.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Anyone here install those AMD preview drivers to get FSR3 and frame generation? Far from perfect, but eventually may turn into a complete game changer for these low powered gaming handhelds.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
How is the steam deck just as a computer?

Is this something I could download movies on and watch it while on the plane? I don't have a laptop.

I'm not familiar with Linux OS but I've read they're better in case there's a emergency/dooms day/SHTF situation.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Is this something I could download movies on and watch it while on the plane? I don't have a laptop.

I'm not familiar with Linux OS but I've read they're better in case there's a emergency/dooms day/SHTF situation.
Yes, it's pretty easy in desktop mode, you can download it from the app store VLC or video player.
Where are you transferring the videos from like a phone or computer?

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps

Given you are unfamiliar with using Linux, if you want to use a handheld gaming system as a general purpose PC, you might be better off looking for a Bestbuy sale or open-box version of the ROG Ally Z1 Extreme. It runs Windows 11. I use Edge to make webapps for all my video streaming services. Edge is very power efficient, so while I may only be able to game for 2 hrs, I can watch movies for 7-8hrs. Again, its Windows 11, so you know how to use it.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Yes, it's pretty easy in desktop mode, you can download it from the app store VLC or video player.
Where are you transferring the videos from like a phone or computer?
I'll be transferring them from my home desktop PC.
Given you are unfamiliar with using Linux, if you want to use a handheld gaming system as a general purpose PC, you might be better off looking for a Bestbuy sale or open-box version of the ROG Ally Z1 Extreme. It runs Windows 11. I use Edge to make webapps for all my video streaming services. Edge is very power efficient, so while I may only be able to game for 2 hrs, I can watch movies for 7-8hrs. Again, its Windows 11, so you know how to use it.
I didn't want to rely on the web. Can Ally go offline? I've read Steam Deck is great in offline mode.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'll be transferring them from my home desktop PC.

I didn't want to rely on the web. Can Ally go offline? I've read Steam Deck is great in offline mode.

In that case, use this video to help get deck which has the mtp.plugin.
With the plugin, you can enable while on the steam deck handheld mode, and connect a USB cable to your PC from the deck, the PC sees as a external drive and then you copy paste directly to the steam deck.
This way is significantly faster than transferring files through WiFi.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Portable monitor not a tablet

Technology :blessed:

One cable to the steam deck and voila

I'ma have this on the plane
I'm still contemplating getting the steam deck and I just bought a backpack that should fit a 15.6 in laptop.

I hope this will fit