Official Steam Deck thread. Steam handheld gaming device.

SymbolicOne09

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just ordered a steamdeck oled n have some questions.
1. Regarding emulation i have a thumbdrive currently with roms on it which i was going to transfer to a micro sd for the deck but does the micro sd need to be in a certain format?
2. how is switch emulation?
3. Is there a way to get xbox gamepass games or xbox cloud/ps cloud to work
4. Can the same account play different games on two devices (laptop n deck) at the same time

Last edited:

Calibrated

Superstar
Daps
This steam sale got me looking like
MESIWF6_o.png

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Just ordered a steamdeck oled n have some questions.
1. Regarding emulation i have a thumbdrive currently with roms on it which i was going to transfer to a micro sd for the deck but does the micro sd need to be in a certain format?
2. how is switch emulation?
3. Is there a way to get xbox gamepass games or xbox cloud/ps cloud to work
4. Can the same account play different games on two devices (laptop n deck) at the same time
Youtube is flooded with tutorials

Q1. I believe you need to format it on the Steam Deck first.

Q3. You can use Xcloud, but you can't download games from Gamepass. Meaning you can stream games, not download them. Here is tutorial to put Xcloud on Steam Deck

Q4. You can log onto your steam account on multiple devices, but you can only play games on one device at a time. Like, you can't even play Atomic Heart on you desktop PC while playing Celeste on your Steam Deck. Its the dumbest thing ever, and I can't understand why Steam users don't complain more. The way around it is to play offline on one device.

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps
I've decided to get a Steam Deck that has old school NES games mainly, and some Sega Genesis games too.

The thing is I'm a novice with steam Decks so could my Coli brehs drop some suggestions about which ones to cop. Like I said I'm looking for a good one with old school games

Also, do you have to take every steam Deck for someone to do something with them, or can you order them with everything cool already ?

Thanks in advance Coli brehs

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've decided to get a Steam Deck that has old school NES games mainly, and some Sega Genesis games too.

The thing is I'm a novice with steam Decks so could my Coli brehs drop some suggestions about which ones to cop. Like I said I'm looking for a good one with old school games

Also, do you have to take every steam Deck for someone to do something with them, or can you order them with everything cool already ?

I'm kinda confused did you get a steam deck or one those portable gaming device?

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps
I'm kinda confused did you get a steam deck or one those portable gaming device?

I didn't get either yet, but I've decided to get a steam deck, they're better than portable gaming device right ?

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't get either yet, but I've decided to get a steam deck, they're better than portable gaming device right ?
The only difference with the steam deck is the storage and if you want OLED screen on it. The way you were talking about made it seem you buying one preconfigured with old nes roms.

If you buy a steam deck, there are tutorials on YouTube on how to easily setup retro emulators like nes and Sega Genesis and getting the roms are not hard, we have drop plenty of links to get this setup.

The steam deck is much better than those cheaper portable ones. However, if you are solely using it to play retro games like SNES, or Genesis you could save money to get one of those cheaper portable devices.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps

The Steam Deck isn't a category of handheld gaming device, but a very specific handheld model. If all you want to do is play NES/SNES/Genesis games, then the Steam Deck is major overkill. There are so many other devices that would better fit your needs, but you didn't tell us what those needs are. They all vary in size and price. You just need to do a Youtube search of "Retro Handheld" and do some homework first. I can't think of a single reason why someone would spend $400 to play NES/Genesis games, given you can buy devices starting at $30 that play those games just fine.

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps
The Steam Deck isn't a category of handheld gaming device, but a very specific handheld model. If all you want to do is play NES/SNES/Genesis games, then the Steam Deck is major overkill. There are so many other devices that would better fit your needs, but you didn't tell us what those needs are. They all vary in size and price. You just need to do a Youtube search of "Retro Handheld" and do some homework first. I can't think of a single reason why someone would spend $400 to play NES/Genesis games, given you can buy devices starting at $30 that play those games just fine.

thanks for all the info breh, repped

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps

I just want a hand held game that has old school Nintendo games already on it, Sega Genesis games would be a bonus

and I don't want a hand held game that I have to take to a game store to get upgraded

I hope that was specific enough, hit me back with what you suggest breh

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
thanks for all the info breh, repped
This youtube channel is dedicated to retro handhelds. Here is a video of a device under $100 that will every system up to the PSOne.
I just want a hand held game that has old school Nintendo games already on it, Sega Genesis games would be a bonus

and I don't want a hand held game that I have to take to a game store to get upgraded

Here is a video of a good unit. Its under $100. If you buy it from Aliexpress with an SD card included, it will come pre-installed with thousands of games. This youtube channel is dedicated to reviewing the type of device you are looking for. They come in various sizes and prices, depending on what you prefer. He even offers tutorials on how to optimize the software if you want. Most devices are playable right out of the box though. At this point its up to you to put in the work and decide what works best for you. Godspeed.

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps

anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated
:salute: