Official University of Helsinki Java MOOC thread

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Say brehs, I thought it could be interesting to open a new thread on that MOOC which is interesting.
It's about object-oriented programming and it focuses on Java, it's not as prestigious and dense as the Harvard's CS50x one (which touches numerous languages) but it could be more interesting for those who would like to exclusively learn exclusively.

MOOC is in two parts and self-paced. First part is divided in 6 weeks and have 106 exercises. Second part is also divided in 6 weeks but is "only" 50 exercises long.

The exercises are to be done thanks to NetBeans (all the steps are here : http://mooc.fi/courses/general/programming/how-to-get-started.html) and the University uses a website where one submits his exercise and can actually see his stats and compare his submitted solution to the *prefered* one. It's called TMC as in Test My Code : https://tmc.mooc.fi/mooc

I'm currently at Week 3 / Exercise 64 and this begins to be a little harder but if you just start, I may be able to help until 64.

Good luck :jawalrus:

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Say brehs, I thought it could be interesting to open a new thread on that MOOC which is interesting.
It's about object-oriented programming and it focuses on Java, it's not as prestigious and dense as the Harvard's CS50x one (which touches numerous languages) but it could be more interesting for those who would like to exclusively learn exclusively.

MOOC is in two parts and self-paced. First part is divided in 6 weeks and have 106 exercises. Second part is also divided in 6 weeks but is "only" 50 exercises long.

The exercises are to be done thanks to NetBeans (all the steps are here : How to get started) and the University uses a website where one submits his exercise and can actually see his stats and compare his submitted solution to the *prefered* one. It's called TMC as in Test My Code : TestMyCode

I'm currently at Week 3 / Exercise 64 and this begins to be a little harder but if you just start, I may be able to help until 64.

Good luck :jawalrus:
Finally finished this :blessed:

EDIT : @DEAD7, @FAH1223, @tru_m.a.c, could one you move this in the 6F6C sub ? Thanks.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Yoooo how didn't this thread become huge?
It's cool, it doesn't need to be huge though I feel like it's a great course. It really covers all the basics well and there are some challenging exercices above all in the 2nd part when one has to create (not too complex) programs from scratch at the end of the "weeks". Now that I finished it, I registered on Codewars and I do some of the little challenges with increasing difficulty. I'll try to create simple things on my own when I can.

Black Cobain

Donkey Punch? I Donkey Slap!
Daps
Reppin
New Afrika
It's cool, it doesn't need to be huge though I feel like it's a great course. It really covers all the basics well and there are some challenging exercices above all in the 2nd part when one has to create (not too complex) programs from scratch at the end of the "weeks". Now that I finished it, I registered on Codewars and I do some of the little challenges with increasing difficulty. I'll try to create simple things on my own when I can.
Good looks, I've wanted to get into Java after my script kiddie phase in High School, rep pending :salute:

What are you looking to create?

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Good looks, I've wanted to get into Java after my script kiddie phase in High School, rep pending :salute:

What are you looking to create?
@FAH1223 , @tru_m.a.c, @DEAD7, could you guys move this to 6F6C please ?
Thus far, I have various ideas of what I would like to create but I know I'm not good enough at the moment. So currently, I'm just coding challenges on Codewars so I can be more comfortable with the language and also learn to script more efficiently.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Surprised to see a thread for this. Yeah, if you're trying to learn Java this is the best resource for it.