Oldheads How did yall recieve RUN DMC- ROCK BOX?

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps

Si my first time hearing this was in GTA VICE CITY and my reaction was :banderas: shyt went hard as fukk and was probably my first exposure to songs with heavy guitar sound that wasn't Carlos Santana.

Cacs on youtube are saying this song blew their mind and a few of them said it made them wanna play guitar.

I know that Run DMC as Ice Cube said brought attitude to the game and were one of the first rappers to really hit mainstream and show rap had staying power and wasn't a gimmick.

I do know that AEROSMITH would be FINISHED if it weren't for Run Dmc no question..they were all junkies by like 1980. RUN DMC gave em a stimulus and their careers soared to bigger heights and that period after RUN DMC is what helped them achieve that Rock Legends/Rock GODS status.

BUT what did yall think of ROCK BOX?

Too much guitars?

Were yall aggy they took a low shot at Michael Jackson?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Side note, RUN DMC gave rap it's "swagger" (for lack of a better word).

Rappers prior to them were running in the same circles as club kids. Which is why cats were dressing like extras from "Max Max".

RUN DMC is when rap started to have it's own aesthetic.

Fred.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
shyt was just mind blowing. Run DMC was different. Pioneers taking rap in new direction. I Think I first heard on wax but I do remember it was on a free jukebox at our community center and we had it on repeat while playing foosball

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Side note, RUN DMC gave rap it's "swagger" (for lack of a better word).

Rappers prior to them were running in the same circles as club kids. Which is why cats were dressing like extras from "Max Max".

RUN DMC is when rap started to have it's own aesthetic.

Fred.
No. FUNK was huge in their era, so they(earlier rap groups) had urbanized funk outfits when they performed on stage

Rick James, P-Funk, EWF inspired but NYC twist on it.. That was the rap stage aesthetic.

• Dap
Reactions: Sbp

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Si my first time hearing this was in GTA VICE CITY and my reaction was :banderas: shyt went hard as fukk and was probably my first exposure to songs with heavy guitar sound that wasn't Carlos Santana.

Cacs on youtube are saying this song blew their mind and a few of them said it made them wanna play guitar.

I know that Run DMC as Ice Cube said brought attitude to the game and were one of the first rappers to really hit mainstream and show rap had staying power and wasn't a gimmick.

I do know that AEROSMITH would be FINISHED if it weren't for Run Dmc no question..they were all junkies by like 1980. RUN DMC gave em a stimulus and their careers soared to bigger heights and that period after RUN DMC is what helped them achieve that Rock Legends/Rock GODS status.

BUT what did yall think of ROCK BOX?

Too much guitars?

Were yall aggy they took a low shot at Michael Jackson?

RUNDMC could do NO WRONG, from the time they came out until the Raising Hell album. Which is still a top ten album (to me)

After that, new era emerged that made them seem old school.

We were just happy to hear rap music and see rappers on tv when Rock Box came out....

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
No. FUNK was huge in their era, so they(earlier rap groups) had urbanized funk outfits when they performed on stage

Rick James, P-Funk, EWF inspired but NYC twist on it.. That was the rap stage aesthetic.

:gucci:

Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five will tell you out their own mouths they were just as influenced by Joan Jett and The Clash as Cameo or Parliament.

They started wearing all those ridiculous spiked belts because of Billy Idol.

I mentioned clubs in general because the hip-hop/punk rock/funk/disco crowd was intermingled. Hip-hop fashion didn't have it's own identity, and was a mix of a little bit of everything, until RUN DMC.

Fred.

Digital Omen

All Star
Daps
Rock Box was a bit before my time. I vaguely remember it but I fully became a fan when Raising Hell came out. That album crossed them over to pop but they stayed true to themselves. Thanks to Walk This Way they were all over daytime cac MTV. But the album had jams like Peter Piper, My Adidas, Hit It Run, and Proud to Be Black. Them and LL were the first posters on my bedroom wall. They took Hip Hop worldwide but because they didn't adapt to the new sound (Marley/Juice Crew, The R, Kane, BDP, and PE) they got left behind and eventually fell off. But there was a time in the mid-80's when they were untouchable rap gods.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
:gucci:

Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five will tell you out their own mouths they were just as influenced by Joan Jett and The Clash as Cameo or Parliament.

They started wearing all those ridiculous spiked belts because of Billy Idol.

I mentioned clubs in general because the hip-hop/punk rock/funk/disco crowd was intermingled. Hip-hop fashion didn't have it's own identity, and was a mix of a little bit of everything, until RUN DMC.

Fred.
In your first post, you made no mention of the popular Black performers, and their stage outfits and that being a factor in the stage look of early rappers.

Hip hop and the downtown club scene you're talking about emerged from the same city at roughly the same time. I won't disagree with your point about them influencing each other.

B Boys wore suede Pumas, windbreaker outfits......BVDs, Lees, adidas, nike cortez,etc before Run DMC really blew up

That's why I made a point to say that the pfunk/Rick james outfits were the STAGE aesthetic...but the b boy look aesthetic in hip hop was established. Before RUNDMC.

Stepping on stage wearing your normal clothes to perform was what RUNDMC did. They put their flourishes and touches on an existing aesthetic. Credit to the late Jam Master Jay for that.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
In your first post, you made no mention of the popular Black performers, and their stage outfits and that being a factor in the stage look of early rappers.

Hip hop and the downtown club scene you're talking about emerged from the same city at roughly the same time. I won't disagree with your point about them influencing each other.

B Boys wore suede Pumas, windbreaker outfits......BVDs, Lees, adidas, nike cortez,etc before Run DMC really blew up

That's why I made a point to say that the pfunk/Rick james outfits were the STAGE aesthetic...but the b boy look aesthetic in hip hop was established. Before RUNDMC.

Stepping on stage wearing your normal clothes to perform was what RUNDMC did. They put their flourishes and touches on an existing aesthetic. Credit to the late Jam Master Jay for that.

I didn't make a mention of any specific genre or race in my first post, I said "clubs" because it encompasses everyone. Music was a big ass melting pot back then.

I didn't say b-boys. I said rappers....meaning, performers specifically. Cats would get on stage in ridiculous outfits because the people they were opening for (be it punk rock, or funk) was wearing ridiculous shyt too.

RUN DMC pretty much killed that over night.

Fred.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I didn't make a mention of any specific genre or race in my first post, I said "clubs" because it encompasses everyone. Music was a big ass melting pot back then.

I didn't say b-boys. I said rappers....meaning, performers specifically. Cats would get on stage in ridiculous outfits because the people they were opening for (be it punk rock, or funk) was wearing ridiculous shyt too.

RUN DMC pretty much killed that over night.

Fred.
The B Boys were the hip hop aesthetic was my point. RUNDMC might have established the aesthetic to people outside of metro NYC area, but it was already established in this region.