One of the GOAT heels died 17 years ago today

Hoss

Legalize us.
Daps
Reppin
The North
Hard to believe it's been that long.

Rick Rude was about as pure as heels get. Seems like he doesn't get the credit he deserves and I don't understand why because as a wrestler he was ALWAYS over in both WCW and WWF.

Quick biography: Rick Rude dies

Rick Rude Biography
NICKNAME: The Ravishing One, Ravishing Rick Rude.
HOMETOWN: Robbinsdale, Minnesota.
FINISHING MOVE: The Rude Awakening (neckbreaker).

A Herculean body chiseled out of stone. An arrogant attitude. Ravishing Rick Rude had it all as a heel until a back injury put him on the sidelines. His career piloted by the cruelest of wrestling minds, Rude's new-found role is that of bodyguard and manager to his hometown pal, Curt Hennig.
  • Idolized Verne Gagne and Larry Hennig (Curt Hennig's father) as a young fan.

• National arm wrestling champion in the United States.

• Graduated with a physical education degree from Anoka Ramsey Junior College.

rude_rick.jpg
  • Worked as a bouncer.

• Eddie Sharkey, a trainer, saw potential in Rude and enrolled him in a wrestling school.

• His first match was in 1983 at a card in Vancouver, British Columbia.

• Minor stints in the NWA and WCW.

• Moved on to Mid-South, aligned with Randy Savage and King Kong Bundy in Jimmy Hartis "First Family" gang.

• It was Jimmy Hart's idea to change "Rood" to "Rude".

• Won the Mid-South Tag Team titles with Bundy. Lost the belts to The Fabulous Ones. Hart blamed the loss on Rude and gave him the boot. Rude and Bundy feuded.

• Packing his bags, Rude headed to Florida and managed by Percy Pringle. Pringle would go on to great fame in the World Wrestling Federation as Paul Bearer. Also under Pringle's guidance were The Missing Link and Pretty Young Things (Koko B. Ware and Norvell Austin).

• Won the Florida World Heavyweight Championship twice...once from Pez Whatley and once in a championship tournament. He also had success in the tag team ranks with his partner Jesse Barr.

• Pringle's bungled interference cost Rude many titles.

• Went to World Class Wrestling still managed by Pringle winning their world title.

• Fired Pringle when his intervention cost him the title in a match against Chris Adams.

• Split for the NWA finding a new manager in Paul Jones. Rude and his partner "Raging Bull" Manny Fernadez won the NWA tag belts from the The Rock 'n Roll Express. Rude and Fernandez held the titles until the Express won them back approximately six months later. Rude headed to the WWF to be managed by Bobby "The Brain" Heenan as part of his stable of wrestlers.

• Portrayed as the ultimate ladies man, Rude did a strip-tease in the ring as part of his entrance and belittled the male fans as "fat, out-of-shape, sweat hogs" wherever he wrestled. Celebrating his victories by kissing women in the audience got him into trouble as he laid one on Jake 'The Snake' Roberts" wife, Cheryl. It touched off a fierce feud.

• A "pose down" at the 1989 Royal Rumble brought about a feud with Rude and The Ultimate Warrior.

• Won the Intercontinental Title from the Ultimate Warrior at WrestleMania 5. Bobby Heenan tripped up the Warrior and held down his legs so Rude could get the pin fall.

rude_rick2.jpg
  • Three months later, Warrior re-gained the title.

• Failed to win the WWF World Title from The Warrior in a steel cage match at SummerSlam in 1990.

• Hired by WCW and won the United States title there defeating "Stunning" Steve Austin and joining Paul E. Dangerously (Paul Heymen) in his "Dangerous Alliance" stable. Feuded with Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat in several mat classics including an Iron Man contest.

• Forced to hand over the title as a serious back injury put him out of wrestling.

• Left for the WWF as D-Generation X's bodyguard. In an astonishing turn of events, Rude went back to the WCW. A member of the New World Order managing hometown bud Curt Hennig, Rude's jump had him on the live Nitro broadcast and the taped Raw show on the same night. This unique twist embarrassed the WWF.

Hoss

Legalize us.
Daps
Reppin
The North
IMO the biggest hole in the HOF.

that man is a first ballot HOFer

Yup, definitely long overdue and likely for petty reasons.

I get that they don't want to get too depressing by having a lot of dead inductees every year, but there is still no excuse. Dude was literally one of the biggest stars of his era and a classic heel. Not to mention a huge influence on a lot of dudes who came along later.

Cobratron

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wonder what the hold up is on inducting him. Biggest name out there from the 80s boom to not be in the HOF, IMO.

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I loved watching him ether the crowds, he just dripped of swag. My man had the audacity to put another man's wife on his tights :krs: All due respect to Warrior but when I heard that story about Rude knocking him out for talking slick :lolbron:

When Savage was champ he rolled with Haku & Rude as his backup.

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
He'll never get into the HOF for the way he left and the fact he died before Vince could pimp him out for a few more bucks

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
Rude was so natural at being hated.

One of my fave wrestling memories is of meeting him and being able to tell him to his face how furious I was when he beat Sting at this Clash of the Champions :laugh:

He coulda made me look like a silly mark but just smiled big and said "what can I say I'm pretty good at my fukking job kid" :manny:

He's a HOF'er with or without the imaginary accolade. RIP

SteelCitySoldier

TSC Fantasy Football Champion 2016
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
I wonder what the hold up is on inducting him. Biggest name out there from the 80s boom to not be in the HOF, IMO.

The shyt he pulled on Vince when he was on a taped Raw but still showed up on Nitro live the same night. Its the only reason, Vince holding them grudges even when muthafukas is in the grave.