Only 6 blacks have been popularly elected to the Senate. What do y’all think about Statehood for DC?

Do you support statehood for D.C.

• Yes

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

Armchair Militant

Stay woke
Daps
Reppin
Miami
GettyImages-941474768-e1551095918908.jpg

Edward Brooke
Carol Mosely Braun
Obama
Kamala
Booker
Tim Scott

The others were appointed. We have had very little representation in the Senate historically.

Most of our people are in the South, which hurts their political power on the federal level. Black folks in the South rarely get to pick Senators because the GOP runs shyt. Not to mention the absence of black governors. :wow:

Tim Scott is a c00n.

We have Kamala and Booker.

This would be the blackest state in the nation and an automatic two seats for Dems. This shyt should've been done a long time ago. :ufdup:

Last edited:

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
It was intended to be a neutral pseudo-state and wasn't made an official state to prevent it from having super-state powers;. Since all state representation would be headquartered there if it was a regular state every rep would be biased towards giving DC special advantages.

Remember how much time Reps and Sens spend there. They're all effectively representatives of DC, so if it had regular statehood DC would get all kinds of favoritism and pet projecxts to make the lives of politicians easy.

The problem is the balance has swung the other way (I agree because it's a democrat stronghold with large black representation).

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
DC statehood never made sense to me.

It would just be attacked by partisans as not being politically neutral ground. Therse no telling what a republican would do to rat fukk democrats out of access to resources, etc.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
i think it should happen :yeshrug: its retarded that DC doesnt get to send people to the senate

that argument about "the capitol not being political" is bullshyt. i kinda understand it, but at this point it's way too big to not be represented
They shouldn't be allowed to vote then.

And people choose to live here. If you care so much about politics, go to VA or MD.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
It was intended to be a neutral pseudo-state and wasn't made an official state to prevent it from having super-state powers;. Since all state representation would be headquartered there if it was a regular state every rep would be biased towards giving DC special advantages.

Remember how much time Reps and Sens spend there. They're all effectively representatives of DC, so if it had regular statehood DC would get all kinds of favoritism and pet projecxts to make the lives of politicians easy.

The problem is the balance has swung the other way (I agree because it's a democrat stronghold with large black representation).
All of this.

19-

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
DC's population is already bigger than states like Wyoming. the argument that "if you care about politics you should move to VA or MD" is stupid as fukk because it assumes thats an easy thing for everyone to do. people shouldn't have to uproot their whole lives for representation in the senate and the house. also that would encourage gentrification in a city where this is already a significant problem.

adexkola

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
1. Not sure what DC statehood has to do with the number of African American senators (it is an appalling number and an indictment on this country and both parties). Bit confused by the title.

2. Yes, DC should be a state. I doubt that will happen anytime soon (why didn't Obama make this a priority in his first two years and sweep in DC and PR:what:)