Only 6 blacks have been popularly elected to the Senate. What do y’all think about Statehood for DC?

Do you support statehood for D.C.

• Yes

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

19-

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
1. Not sure what DC statehood has to do with the number of African American senators (it is an appalling number and an indictment on this country and both parties). Bit confused by the title.

2. Yes, DC should be a state. I doubt that will happen anytime soon (why didn't Obama make this a priority in his first two years and sweep in DC and PR:what:)
If DC was a state it would have by far the largest proportional black population and would be likelier to elect African American senators than other states

adexkola

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
If DC was a state it would have by far the largest proportional black population and would be likelier to elect African American senators than other states

Looked up the stats and you're right. In that case, yes we would have had more black senators in that case (either number or tenure spent in Congress).

Side note (just looked this up) but all the mayors of DC have been black. Buttresses your point further.

Armchair Militant

Stay woke
Daps
Reppin
Miami
Puerto Rico should be a state. I agree with that.

DC? Hell no.

Unless yall want confederate statues next to the Lincoln memorial :picard:

Defunding Howard University :picard:

How would that work? The proposal that I’ve seen would keep the capitol, SCOTUS, and national mall as a federal district.The residential areas would be part of the state.

This has a lot of support in the House. If Dems take the Senate back, Howard might have to take that L.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Nah. And I'm not a cooon.

Actually lived in DC for a few years, right in Northeast a few minutes walk from Rhode Island and Brookland stations.

I think DC should remain "neutral" aka no Senator and no voting House of Representative regardless how big it gets. I think it should just keep things neutral, nationally.

The whole black majority as reason why no Congressiinal voting representation is no longer applicable. Afram/Blacks are no longer the majority in DC. They are still the most numerous, but it's less than 50% Afram/Black and dropping, as the overall DC population increases.

Last edited:

adexkola

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Nah. And I'm not a cooon.

Actually lived in DC for a few years, right in Northeast a few minutes walk from Rhode Island and Brookland stations.

I think DC should remain "neutral" aka no Senator and no voting House of Representative regardless how big it gets. I think it just keep things neutral, nationally.

The whole black majority as reason why no Congressiinal voting representation is no longer applicable. Afram/Blacks are no longer the majority in DC. They are still the most numerous, but it's less than 50% Afram/Black and dropping, as the overall DC population increases.

:what:

This isn't the antebellum era where a free state was inducted with a slave state to keep the numbers equal.