Park Chan-wook ("Oldboy") "Little Drummer Girl" Miniseries For AMC....

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I just mentioned "Oldboy" because that's his best known movie. Dude's filmography is great though...."JSA", "Lady Vengeance", "Thirst", "Stoker", "The Handmaiden", etc....he's probably my favorite current gen director working.

Anyway, he's adapting a 6 part series based on "The Little Drummer Girl", a novel by John le Carre, who wrote the novel "The Night Manager" miniseries was based on.

Park Chan-wook Adapting ‘The Little Drummer Girl’ TV Series

When people ask me to recommend some under-the-radar movie gems, Park Chan-wook is my go-to filmmaker. Many non-movie-nerds haven’t seen his most renowned film, Oldboy, and plenty of cinephiles haven’t watched his English language debut, Stoker, or last year’s dazzling The Handmaiden. Chan-wook applies his visual flair, and pulpy sensibilities to every genre he tackles to stunning effect. As someone who eagerly anticipates every Chan-wook film, news that he is making the leap to TV comes as bittersweet.

The Daily Mail is reporting that BBC TV and AMC are partnering on a six-hour series titled, The Little Drummer Girl, which is set to begin filming in early 2018. The series is based on John le Carre’s 1983 spy novel of the same name, about a young actor recruited by an Israeli spy chief to track down a Palestinian terrorist. Chan-wook is onboard to direct and Florence Pugh (Lady Macbeth) is rumored to star as the series’ lead.

Fred.

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
I just mentioned "Oldboy" because that's his best known movie. Dude's filmography is great though...."JSA", "Lady Vengeance", "Thirst", "Stoker", "The Handmaiden", etc....he's probably my favorite current gen director working.

Anyway, he's adapting a 6 part series based on "The Little Drummer Girl", a novel by John le Carre, who wrote the novel "The Night Manager" miniseries was based on.

Park Chan-wook Adapting ‘The Little Drummer Girl’ TV Series

Fred.

In 2018, we're going to get TV series from Park Chan-Wook and Wong Kar Wai. What a time to be alive :wow:

• Dap
Reactions: hex
Daps
The first half of this series is interesting enough, if only because Chan-wook's fingerprints are all over it; it just doesn't have the pull I'd be expecting from a le Carre novel.

• Dap
Reactions: hex
Daps
This isn't even worth dissecting; I don't think an espionage has made me feel this indifferent towards it. As it is with material of this nature, you have to leave out a political ballast to take in the telling of its tale, and yet Chan-wook still doesn't make it worthwhile.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Only one ep in. It’s cool enough, but the main lead is something else.

I read an article about how she was stealing the show from Mike Shannon and Skaarsgard and they didn’t lie. She’s a star.

She just has a presence.

Daps
Only one ep in. It’s cool enough, but the main lead is something else.

I read an article about how she was stealing the show from Mike Shannon and Skaarsgard and they didn’t lie. She’s a star.

She just has a presence
I honestly thought all the leads were heavily miscast, nor Shannon (I will admit I'm biased because I don't fukk with him, at all), Skaarsgard (by far the worst of the three) or even Pugh demanded my attention whenever they were in the frame, and with each episode, there seemed to be more disconnect than chemistry between them.

At no point did I ever feel any one of them was telling a story, but merely simply existing as static characters.

Last edited:

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
I liked this a lot. At times it felt a little meandering, but they upped the ante with the double ep last night :whew:

It was shot beautifully all the way through - and the cast was :ohlawd: