"Patriot Act" with Hasan Minhaj Thread

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
I never understood the hit piece in the first place. Who fact checks a stand up comedy joke/story? :dead:

Let’s start fact checking Kevin Hart and Chapelle while we at it :mjlol:
This guy moonlights as a legit journalist tackling serious issues, and he does it for lot of money. He was playing fast and loose in a gray area and needs to be mindful going forward.

"Who fact checks comedians" you say, but how can you have that stance when we live in a world where Joe Rogan is one of the most powerful thought leaders in our world, and he does so while chatting unsubstantiated shyt.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This guy moonlights as a legit journalist tackling serious issues, and he does it for lot of money. He was playing fast and loose in a gray area and needs to be mindful going forward.

"Who fact checks comedians" you say, but how can you have that stance when we live in a world where Joe Rogan is one of the most powerful thought leaders in our world, and he does so while chatting unsubstantiated shyt.

:gucci:

No one is fact checking his comedy routines. People fact check the claims that he makes on his podcast when having a serious discussion.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
:gucci:

No one is fact checking his comedy routines. People fact check the claims that he makes on his podcast when having a serious discussion.
I mean he called out people and his comedy is really about personal experiences and what not.

And if you brehs read the article, he basically shytted on and lied about that woman who supposedly turned down a date with him.
The woman also said that she and her family had faced online threats and doxing for years because Minhaj had insufficiently disguised her identity, including the fact that she was engaged to an Indian American man. A source with knowledge of the production said that, during the show’s Off Broadway run, Minhaj had used a real picture of the woman and her partner, with their faces blurred, projected behind him as he told the story.

The woman said that Minhaj had invited her and her husband to an Off Broadway performance. She had initially interpreted the invitation as an attempt to rekindle an old friendship, but she now believes the move was meant to humiliate her. Later, she said, when she confronted Minhaj about the online threats brought on by the Netflix special—“I spent years trying to get threads taken down,” she told me—Minhaj shrugged off her concerns. Minhaj said that he didn’t recall that interaction, and pointed to the fact that he had been in touch with her prior to the airing of the special, recommending she scrub social-media posts that might indicate her relationship to him. Minhaj also noted that the tone of their texts and e-mails was always friendly.

This isn't the same thing as a your momma joke or "why did the chicken cross the road." Its way more nuanced than that.

shyt, the anthrax joke wasn't even a joke. He told it as a real story.

Edit: He also didn't address any of the workplace stuff in the video.

Last edited:

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
We live in a time that a fat fukking unfunny degenerate can lie about everything in their life, make multi-generational wealth pandering to frat bros and the "just asking questions" crowd and feeding red meat to a bunch of brain broken racist/bigoted pieces of shyt (Bert Kreishner/Joe Rogan/etc...), but everybody attacks Hasan, hmmm, what's different about Hasan?

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I mean he called out people and his comedy is really about personal experiences and what not.

And if you brehs read the article, he basically shytted on and lied about that woman who supposedly turned down a date with him.

This isn't the same thing as a your momma joke or "why did the chicken cross the road." Its way more nuanced than that.

I have never gone into a comedy special thinking the person was telling the 100% varnished truth. I thought that was everybody’s assumption.:heh:

It’s absolutely unfathomable to me that a writer has nothing better to do than investigate the “truth” of a comedic bit. Shut is nuts to me.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I have never gone into a comedy special thinking the person was telling the 100% varnished truth. I thought that was everybody’s assumption.:heh:
You’re missing the point and even he pointed it out in his video

He isn’t Earthquake, Dave Chappelle or John Mullaney in terms of his comedic style.

He relies a lot on truth in his edutainment lane. He uses The truth and personal anecdotes to go at power and call out bullshyt. He even talked about how he plays on emotional sadness to tell his jokes, which people believe because of his style of comedy.

Embellishing shyt to make the joke funny is one thing, but in a lot of these instances they weren’t jokes but him telling a story Which set up the joke.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

The evidence he presented in the video directly contradicts what was presented in the New Yorker article - he did not use her real name, real photo, and advised her when he was starting the special to get take down the posts that would help weirdos online connect her to him.

He also presents information contradicting his portrayal as being an obsessed weirdo - positing the story as a seminal moment in his young life showing how prejudice can rear its head at unlikely times - and presents messages from her acknowledging that this happened. Whether it happened the night of homecoming or the week beforehand - her parents being racist is still the truth.

The workplace stuff alleged was only *partially* even attributed to him, quite a bit is clear staff v management - and I'm going to review the article again but I don't recall there actually being anything presented showing that he lied about real life news issues.

The anthrax story was partially true - but was clearly exaggerated for effect.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
The evidence he presented in the video directly contradicts what was presented in the New Yorker article - he did not use her real name, real photo, and advised her when he was starting the special to get take down the posts that would help weirdos online connect her to him.

He also presents information contradicting his portrayal as being an obsessed weirdo - positing the story as a seminal moment in his young life showing how prejudice can rear its head at unlikely times - and presents messages from her acknowledging that this happened. Whether it happened the night of homecoming or the week beforehand - her parents being racist is still the truth.

The workplace stuff alleged was only *partially* even attributed to him, quite a bit is clear staff v management - and I'm going to review the article again but I don't recall there actually being anything presented showing that he lied about real life news issues.

Unless I’m missing something, he never said the real photo wasn’t used on the off Broadway showing. I know he mentioned using her photo on tour and the Netflix special, but he didn’t address that.

The parents were racist and I don’t think the New Yorker article denies that they were Either, so I’m not sure why he chose to posit it that way except to obfuscate the discussion.

And the Anthrax story wasn’t a joke but an actual story.

I don’t think Minhaj is as nuts as the article may have painted him, but I also don’t think Minhaj comes off Sterling here either.

Big Jo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Watching the performance, nothing signals it’s exaggerated for effect at all, let alone “clearly”

Same for the FBI agent that infiltrated his church

And that’s the crux of the issue, these were presented as true anecdotes, not jokes and exaggerations

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You’re missing the point and even he pointed it out in his video

He isn’t Earthquake, Dave Chappelle or John Mullaney in terms of his comedic style.

He relies a lot on truth in his edutainment lane. He uses The truth and personal anecdotes to go at power and call out bullshyt. He even talked about how he plays on emotional sadness to tell his jokes, which people believe because of his style of comedy.

Embellishing shyt to make the joke funny is one thing, but in a lot of these instances they weren’t jokes but him telling a story Which set up the joke.

I find fact checking a comedy routine to be the height of absurdity. I find fact checking Hassan’s homecoming joke just as as absurd as fact checking Rodney Dangerfield “I get no respect” routine.

I actually think Hassan showed weakness by coming out and explaining his jokes in a YouTube video. He should have handled this shyt on stage. But then again, I’m the guy that defends Chappelle’s LGBTQ jokes.