Paying off 26K in student debt in 2 yrs: how one of us did it

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
It's times like this I'm glad I chose to go to my in-state law school instead of going for the prestige + debt.

Not in this legal market unless your only options were low tier :usure:. LOL, @Serious I see you're dapping up every post about being "frugal" as usual but running from those facts. I see you breh :ld:

Last edited by a moderator:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Not in this legal market unless your only options were low tier :usure:. LOL, @Serious I see you're dapping up every post about being "frugal" as usual but running from those facts. I see you breh :ld:
Why do you have beef w/anyone who doesn't see things your way? :what: What facts is Serious running from?

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I agree. I worked before going to college (though I did go to college right after HS) by doing jobs alongside school, and then throughout college, too, of course. I recognize that most people don't do that.

A lot of people work in high school, I did too. I would have to have been walking around dressed like a bum, with no car (which I got passed to me and didn't buy), and no semblance of a social life to save up anywhere near enough for that to make a dent into college tuition. I thought you were like my friends that literally worked 2 to 4 years before starting college. Since that's not the case, this isn't particularly salient point unless you had a special circumstance where you made a lot.

I'm not sure about this part. I grew up without much money, but most of my peers in college were white from relatively comfortable financial situations and receiving steady money from their parents. They didn't pay for their dorms/aps, and spent relatively high amounts on clothing, food, etc. I was surprised at how many of them lived beyond their means. Every time we went out to eat, etc, together they would always pick these places that I found needlessly expensive... I guess that's just the kind of living they were used to growing up. Once they had found jobs and the parents stopped sending money, they got a harsh reality check.
But that's exactly my point, people live frugally because they cannot afford to live otherwise. This does nothing to respond to my point that people have no choice but to live frugally after college. They literally can't do any of that stuff unless they're living at home with their parents. Unsurprisingly, the average size of households is going up because people these type of people are still living with their parents until their mid to late 20s now. They could put even more money towards loans, that's true as well. But again, anyone who is "comfortable" probably has less student loans than you anyway because their parents can pay out of the pocket or help them pay down their loans afterwards. I'm talking about middle class people.

I commuted to school from home (couldn't really afford to dorm,) always packed lunches, etc, so when it came time to live off of my own income, I think I was more ready for it. I think that applies whether or not the times are bad and jobs are scarce. I knew many kids who couldn't find jobs but were still living good off their parents' money in their own apartments in hip, Brooklyn neighborhoods.
I'm still not sure how that relates to my points. This is just the typical self-sufficiency circle-jerk, that I just don't want to be apart of. You're attempting to argue that people cannot pay down their loans because they come from affluent families that would allow them to pay down their loans? :what: I could talk about spoiled kids all day. Not being prepared to live on your own is not determinative of not being able to pay off one's loans. Even so, you're not describing the subject of this story or the middle class college graduate at all.

Fair enough. I'm not apologizing for the current system or even saying that most people can make it through like me. I'm just questioning whether the information in the article is really groundbreaking, as I know several other people who did this, too (mostly immigrants.)

It's not groundbreaking, and I know many people who did it as well (my friends are doing it right now). Anything can be done with the requisite hustle. Your question was "it is really that uncommon?" Yes, it is and you seem to be admitting that as well.

I'll put it like this, the average college grad from the class of 2012 started out at about 44,000 a year (mind you about 50% of them did not get a job or a full-time job, so that number is skewed because it's those that DID get a job). Since 2006, half or more of the graduates from college are unemployed or not employed at a full-time job. Guess which 3 cities have the highest amount and percentage of jobs requiring college degrees? DC, San Fran and San Jose.

If you pay off 26k in 2 years then you're paying $1083.00 per month. That is 32% off your monthly paycheck going towards loans. Factor in the cost of living in an expensive city, rent is probably another third of your paycheck minimum. I won't even get into calculating the amount you spend on food, things that have become necessities like a cell phone bill and internet in your apartment and, if you have car, the cost of gas. So yes, it is possible on a salary like that if you are frugal, even easier with roommates. The problem is most people aren't making even that who are employed (that average is skewed by STEM and business majors (accountants, and people in the financial sectors)).

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Why do you have beef w/anyone who doesn't see things your way? :what: What facts is Serious running from?

Who here am I beefing with? :wtf: Why are you taking this so seriously, you'd know that I'm joking with him about that large argument we all had about education a week or so ago where he said he'd respond back later. and then never did lol? Not that I blame him, I do that shyt too.

You take this board entirely too seriously. :yeshrug:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

Bro, I'm saying is cats these days is soft and don't know how to grind. You keep on making excuses for this generation. "IF" I had student loans, my very first priority,would be paying it off in full asap, instead of making minimum payments and spending the majority of my money otherwise. I got all my life, to go out, get f*cked up. What else, would my money be better spent on, gear, chasing women (:heh: ), taking a loan out on a newer car, stunting at the club, :snoop: Typical n1gga sh*t.

I already live a frugal lifestyle. Miss me, with it's expensive to eat healthy propaganda. I've dropped videos before about eating healthy, for under $30 a week. Mcdonalds, Burger King, Carl's Jr. that's the sh*t, I don't like..Numerous people are good at making excuses, but scared of taking initiative of their own life...

Heck @VictorVonDoom won't even back you up on this one...

He's even stated in the past, how post college he had to grind, between a couple of lab tech jobs, in order to live a somewhat comfortable lifestyle, despite the economy being "relatively" stable. I'm sure he sacrificed a couple things, during this time period.

The people I know who paid their shyt off that fast went into Teach for America and lived very frugal. That or they live somewhere in middle America. No one living in a metropolitan area is paying that off in 3 years.

Yes, again "Do what you gotta do". It's only temporary, why are we making excuses for people being afraid of going where work takes them. If that's how graduates, gain their experience then, so be it. Have to start somewhere. College degree + experience = more easily employable. It's not like an individual can't turn in their pink slip, after they've gained enough relevant experience.

Most people aren't complaining about the lack of jobs, they're complaining about how needing 3-5 years of relevant experience :skip: bu bu bu but...

Heck this trend isn't even new:

"The Great Recession", parallel's a lot of everyday life during the 50-60's. How original :comeon:

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Man i gotta say god bless my parents for helping me out with undergrad, filling in the blanks where my scholarship came up short. Otherwise I'd be about this right now.

Time to save :win:

Superstar
Daps

I got into some T-20s, just not a lot of money.

Should've stayed in-state for undergrad. I'd have been in a way better financial position for law school. But oh well.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Bro, I'm saying is cats these days is soft and don't know how to grind. You keep on making excuses for this generation. "IF" I had student loans, my very first priority,would be paying it off in full asap, instead of making minimum payments and spending the majority of my money otherwise. I got all my life, to go out, get f*cked up. What else, would my money be better spent on, gear, chasing women (:heh: ), taking a loan out on a newer car, stunting at the club, :snoop: Typical n1gga sh*t.
The problem is that you know a very limited group of people and you expand those anecdotes onto society at large. For every story you have of typical nikka shyt, I know people grinding to make it and that shyt isn't easy. Who in the world said that cats should be going to the club getting fukked up every week? Every time we do this I break it down monetarily. Look at my response to The Real. Go ahead and argue against those numbers. You can't and that's my point.

I already live a frugal lifestyle. Miss me, with it's expensive to eat healthy propaganda. I've dropped videos before about eating healthy, for under $30 a week. Mcdonalds, Burger King, Carl's Jr. that's the sh*t, I don't like..Numerous people are good at making excuses, but scared of taking initiative of their own life...
This just turned into a Serious rant. My nikka, what are you talking about? That's the problem, you have the "hustle hard" demeanor so you apply one instance, food where you may be right, to everything. Where did I ever co-sign it being hard to be healthy? I mean, you act like I'm not hard on people. I'm hard where it makes sense to be. Look at that thread in the college forum where it's me getting at everybody about crying about it's unfair that cats have to make these decisions at 17, I gave a little leeway and then said man up. I'm more close to your position than you realize. I just don't do it when the stats tell me it doesn't make sense to do it.

Heck @victorvondoom won't even back you up on this one...

He's even stated in the past, how post college he had to grind, between a couple of lab tech jobs, in order to live a somewhat comfortable lifestyle, despite the economy being "relatively" stable. I'm sure he sacrificed a couple things, during this time period.
Back me up on what, it's like you refuse to read. Who the hell said anything about not sacrificing? I pretty damn sure I'm sacrificing more than most people posting on this board, with my 50,000 dollars a year law school tuition (on top of undergrad loans), huge cost of living expenses out here and being a kid from the inner city who in the first attorney in his family. So you're going to have to miss me with those lectures. I say this to you time and again, why is it, that I could probably make the arguments you're making and be an example of it, but I refuse to? Because I know better. You're an engineer, analyze the numbers and stop taking "that's not living" to mean, be at the club everyday.

Yes, again "Do what you gotta do". It's only temporary, why are we making excuses for people being afraid of going where work takes them. If that's how graduates, gain their experience then, so be it. Have to start somewhere. College degree + experience = more easily employable. It's not like an individual can't turn in their pink slip, after they've gained enough relevant experience.
Who is making excuses, I was making the point that in major metropolitan areas that is not going to get you by. No one said to be afraid of where your job takes you. All my friends went where their jobs take them. Now if you read my last post you'd know that most openings for college graduates are in metropolitan areas....see how this becomes an issue? :snoop:
Most people aren't complaining about the lack of jobs, they're complaining about how needing 3-5 years of relevant experience :skip: bu bu bu but...
This isn't true and it's just you ranting. All due respect, but for all your talk about how people should travel. Maybe you should travel this country first. You didn't even know what income percentile your family was in. Do you seriously think someone who was telling you a week ago that people were getting by on next to nothing doesn't understand how it's done? That was never the point. People are complaining about jobs requiring 3-5 years of experience because for you used to get trained on the job and those requirements not effectively screen out anyone who applies.

But more importantly since 2006, 50% of college graduates are either unemployed or are not working full time. Go tell the person working part time to make ends meet that they don't have hustle. This thread wasn't even about this but you're so disconnected it's remarkable.

"The Great Recession", parallel's a lot of everyday life during the 50-60's. How original :comeon:

:mindblown: This shyt is why they make engineering majors take humanities courses at Michigan so they can learn something about how society actually works. You just nearly disqualified yourself from this conversation.

So according to sociologist Serious, throughout the 90s and up until 2006, everyone in society was productive and had hustle and then suddenly in 2006, all those college students became lazy bums and are entirely to blame for their predicaments. Tell me more. :upsetfavre: Please, I talk with professionals all the time that know my generation got a raw deal. Go ahead, tell me you know better than the people who are actually hiring us.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I got into some T-20s, just not a lot of money.

Should've stayed in-state for undergrad. I'd have been in a way better financial position for law school. But oh well.

The market is so fukked up though breh. I had a choice between some T-20s at basically full scholarship and took the T-6 (which eventually gave me a half scholarship when I was about to transfer).

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
I gotta say though I endorse the hustle hard mentality, BarNone is right that the qualifications and experience necessary for us near or current graduates is higher than ever. It's hard to even get a good non-paying internship sometimes, forget a real good job or even some coffee fetcher shyt. You need some networking skills, the grades and resume, AND sometimes connections to get a foot in the door. I'm having my PI help me get a job right now, shyts shameful but i gotta do what i gotta do...

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
lol at this unrealistic ass story, this isn't possible in every city or situation

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
The problem is that you know a very limited group of people and you expand those anecdotes onto society at large. For every story you have of typical nikka shyt, I know people grinding to make it and that shyt isn't easy. Who in the world said that cats should be going to the club getting fukked up every week? Every time we do this I break it down monetarily. Look at my response to The Real. Go ahead and argue against those numbers. You can't and that's my point.
fair enough, but I seen it pay off too many times. Going from nothing to something is very real, and it changes an individuals out look on life.

For example:

This just turned into a Serious rant. My nikka, what are you talking about? That's the problem, you have the "hustle hard" demeanor so you apply one instance, food where you may be right, to everything. Where did I ever co-sign it being hard to be healthy? I mean, you act like I'm not hard on people. I'm hard where it makes sense to be. Look at that thread in the college forum where it's me getting at everybody about crying about it's unfair that cats have to make these decisions at 17, I gave a little leeway and then said man up. I'm more close to your position than you realize. I just don't do it when the stats tell me it doesn't make sense to do it.
fair enough,

it's a by product of life, I charge it to the game...
Back me up on what, it's like you refuse to read. Who the hell said anything about not sacrificing? I pretty damn sure I'm sacrificing more than most people posting on this board, with my 50,000 dollars a year law school tuition (on top of undergrad loans), huge cost of living expenses out here and being a kid from the inner city who in the first attorney in his family. So you're going to have to miss me with those lectures. I say this to you time and again, why is it, that I could probably make the arguments you're making and be an example of it, but I refuse to? Because I know better. You're an engineer, analyze the numbers and stop taking "that's not living" to mean, be at the club everyday.
I go by what I see. I know cats who are lazy and expect things to come to them. I know cats who work, but have no sense of direction, or clue of how to be the boss / reach the top and I know n1ggas that grind, damn 24/7 thinking about making money / moves. word to @88m3, that dude doesn't sleep...

Who is making excuses, I was making the point that in major metropolitan areas that is not going to get you by. No one said to be afraid of where your job takes you. All my friends went where their jobs take them. Now if you read my last post you'd know that most openings for college graduates are in metropolitan areas....see how this becomes an issue? :snoop:
This isn't true and it's just you ranting. All due respect, but for all your talk about how people should travel. Maybe you should travel this country first. You didn't even know what income percentile your family was in. Do you seriously think someone who was telling you a week ago that people were getting by on next to nothing doesn't understand how it's done? That was never the point. People are complaining about jobs requiring 3-5 years of experience because for you used to get trained on the job and those requirements not effectively screen out anyone who applies.
Didn't read that, but I know a few employers as well, whom complain about employees coming in unprepared, causing havoc and lying on their resumes.

But more importantly since 2006, 50% of college graduates are either unemployed or are not working full time. Go tell the person working part time to make ends meet that they don't have hustle. This thread wasn't even about this but you're so disconnected it's remarkable.
Can't help it sometimes, I hang around people who make money, so I improve on my ways of making money. Kind of easy. Not a bad gig for now, making $50 a client....

:mindblown: This shyt is why they make engineering majors take humanities courses at Michigan so they can learn something about how society actually works. You just nearly disqualified yourself from this conversation.

So according to sociologist Serious, throughout the 90s and up until 2006, everyone in society was productive and had hustle and then suddenly in 2006, all those college students became lazy bums and are entirely to blame for their predicaments. Tell me more. :upsetfavre: Please, I talk with professionals all the time that know my generation got a raw deal. Go ahead, tell me you know better than the people who are actually hiring us.
Nah bro....

I'm just stating that the abundance of people obtaining college degrees has lead to ego inflation. Once again, I know employers as well...

lawyers, doctors, executives etc...

Won't lie this generation does have it tough, but when life gives you lemons....