Paying off 26K in student debt in 2 yrs: how one of us did it

Xtraz2

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles, CA
he's a dumbass for paying 1,300 rent first of all

he could rented a room in somebody house for around $400 or so and payed tha loan off in less than a year and still been able to party and eat good....

Mindfield333

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NC
*avoids replies*

That's dope. Definitely takes discipline.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
We went from bruhs not even needing to know how to read to get a job to employers demanding folks not just iwth degrees but skills + experience. Brays crying (and there is a big diff between acknowledgment and crying) about the continual raising of the bar on employability are turning a blind eye to the way of the world. Change is constant... you have to either put in the work to roll with it or get left behind, unfortunately.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
What % of American graduates are willing to make those sacrifices? I am not sure I could. Then again 2 yrs is not that long.

That was another dude who graduated from HBS

Point is a lot of folks are choosing to live life instead of break the shackles of debt. I don't know if thats always the right choice.

1st off, why did you post this?

Second, the point is people are choosing to live life? Pleas explain to me how this nikka is NOW living life because he got rid of a bill in his budget?

Why are you using terms lack shackles of debt? This debt ain't shyt but, a bill. When it's paid off you still have to wake up, go to work, budget and maintain.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st off, why did you post this?

Second, the point is people are choosing to live life? Pleas explain to me how this nikka is NOW living life because he got rid of a bill in his budget?

Why are you using terms lack shackles of debt? This debt ain't shyt but, a bill. When it's paid off you still have to wake up, go to work, budget and maintain.

Watch your fukking tone dude.

I posted this to show that basic living is not impossible, and to see how folks here are dealing with their student debt + general finances.

I meant to put "live life" in quotations. But he is living life now because he has one less bill to pay. That's money he can put away, or put towards a vacation, or to whatever instead of to a bill. You don't think its a good idea to have as few expenses as possible?

And debt is a shackle. shyt like credit card debt, especially with high interest rates, makes no sense. Instead of saving up and buying something cash, you pay extra fees to have shyt you can't afford. For big shyt like a car or house or degree its one thing, but even within that realm people abuse it, buying shyt they don't need to look like they have more money than they do. Its a problem.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Watch your fukking tone dude.

I posted this to show that basic living is not impossible, and to see how folks here are dealing with their student debt + general finances.

I meant to put "live life" in quotations. But he is living life now because he has one less bill to pay. That's money he can put away, or put towards a vacation, or to whatever instead of to a bill. You don't think its a good idea to have as few expenses as possible?

And debt is a shackle. shyt like credit card debt, especially with high interest rates, makes no sense. Instead of saving up and buying something cash, you pay extra fees to have shyt you can't afford. For big shyt like a car or house or degree its one thing, but even within that realm people abuse it, buying shyt they don't need to look like they have more money than they do. Its a problem.

Yeah, but making more money is morre important. I mean that is "elephant in the room" when it comes to this success story

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Yeah, but making more money is morre important. I mean that is "elephant in the room" when it comes to this success story
Making more money has nothing to do with paying off student loans as quickly as reasonably possible or living a basic life. In that context, all making more money should do is enable you to pay your shyt off faster and save more.

And in any case dude was able to pay way more than his minimum balance even on a measly $26K/yr salary. So just like I said the point is, at least starting out, its not impossible to make do on a meager income if you exercise discipline and have a plan.

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
I'm definitely willing to make sacrifices to pay off loans... Eating protein bars/shakes, and McDonalds is not one of them... This guy will be out of debt, but will have a degenerative blood or cardiovascular disease when he turns 40...

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
I'm definitely willing to make sacrifices to pay off loans... Eating protein bars/shakes, and McDonalds is not one of them... This guy will be out of debt, but will have a degenerative blood or cardiovascular disease when he turns 40...

Man, SATIL was right though. You can eat cheap as hell cooking vegetables, meat, and a staple grain. It doesnt even take a lot of skill either or time either, especially if you cook for several meals at a time.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Man, SATIL was right though. You can eat cheap as hell cooking vegetables, meat, and a staple grain. It doesnt even take a lot of skill either or time either, especially if you cook for several meals at a time.
If you can operate a microwave and a skillet you can eat very healthy. Just like a lot of shyt though people don't want to put the work in.

How do muhfuggas who dont cook eat :wtf:

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC

The real problem for poor people is access to groceries. They rarely have access, and when they do, they get the worst-quality stuff that's almost expired when it's put on the shelf. I remember some supermarket chains were hesitant about opening up in Harlem (which used to be a desert for groceries) because they all believed that poor people just wouldn't cook anyway and didn't have the culture for it, but a few took the risk, and they found that they had booming business immediately after opening... While there may be some cultural disadvantage due to this lack of access that makes people disinterested in/ignorant of cooking regularly, a lot of people will do it if they have the access. There was a great article on this, maybe in the NYT, a few years ago. Can't find it now, though.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
The real problem for poor people is access to groceries. They rarely have access, and when they do, they get the worst-quality stuff that's almost expired when it's put on the shelf. I remember some supermarket chains were hesitant about opening up in Harlem (which used to be a desert for groceries) because they all believed that poor people just wouldn't cook anyway and didn't have the culture for it, but a few took the risk, and they found that they had booming business immediately after opening... While there may be some cultural disadvantage due to this lack of access that makes people disinterested in/ignorant of cooking regularly, a lot of people will do it if they have the access. There was a great article on this, maybe in the NYT, a few years ago. Can't find it now, though.

Well we shouldnt be surprised that people are cooking less these days. It does take time to learn how to be good at it and some people will never even be decent. But for a couple generations raised on microwavable frozen shyt and fast food, will they even see it is as worth it when the food isnt as initially palatable? I do think Americans are slowly but surely moving towards eating a little better, and that doesnt necessarily have to mean cheap. I can't comment on an with an urban environment like NYC because I'm from the midwest and south (lots of open spaces, groceries available in all economic areas). I will say that the quality of produce in low-income areas is pretty much terrible. Not only is it the most aesthetically unappealing fruits, veggies and meat, but like you said its frequently close to spoiling. I also notice that the frozen food sections in these places are also huge.

I wonder how much of these places food distribution is based upon the actual results of what people DO choose to buy, or PERCEPTIONS of what they will typically buy.

:ehh:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gentrification played a huge role in upgrading the quality of food in the hood.

I remember when I moved to Crown Heights there was a supermarket w/all types of rotting meat and produce. Makes you wonder why they even bothered. By the time I left they switched the game up big time, damn near organic :heh: But thats what new $$$$ into the neighborhood does.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Gentrification played a huge role in upgrading the quality of food in the hood.

I remember when I moved to Crown Heights there was a supermarket w/all types of rotting meat and produce. Makes you wonder why they even bothered. By the time I left they switched the game up big time, damn near organic :heh: But thats what new $$$$ into the neighborhood does.

This is true.