People Made A Big Deal About Jay-Z Not Writing But What I Always Thought Was More Impressive Was...

Daps
That one take shyt that there's been numerous accounts of him doing. Like the nikka will do a feature on someone else's shyt, come to the studio, do his verse in a minute and leave...:whoo:

Am I saying he's the only one doing that? NOPE OF COURSE NOT

But anyone who raps or has been in the studio while guys are recording will tell you sometimes it takes guys a couple of tries & other times nikkax might be in there all night trying to get two verses done :deadmanny:

The art of writing is way different than the art of recording

2021-12-30-jay-z-x-tiffany-ad.jpg

Young

Daps
Now here’s the thing…

There’s no way guys like 2Pac made that many songs, partied that much and was always on the move without knocking out multiple songs a night. I wouldn’t be surprised if Pac was on that shyt too or Wayne

ajnapoleon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That one take shyt that there's been numerous accounts of him doing. Like the nikka will do a feature on someone else's shyt, come to the studio, do his verse in a minute and leave...:whoo:

Am I saying he's the only one doing that? NOPE OF COURSE NOT

But anyone who raps or has been in the studio while guys are recording will tell you sometimes it takes guys a couple of tries & other times nikkax might be in there all night trying to get two verses done :deadmanny:

The art of writing is way different than the art of recording

2021-12-30-jay-z-x-tiffany-ad.jpg

Young

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
As someone that/s been in a tonnnnnn of studio hours with a ton of rappers, I feel two ways about one takes.

On one hand yes it is super impressive when someone can knock things out in one take without having to do the verse multiple times. On the other hand, there are rappers that are overly concerned with it, and could get a better take of the verse if they'd just be willing to record it again. Even a great verse could potentially be better if you attacked it again. Sometimes it's even dope to have a few takes of a verse and then choose your favorite one.

The final product is ultimately more important than one-take bragging rights.

Jay being able to do both is very impressive.

EDIT: But also Jay didn't always one-take it, and if he ever tried to say that he did then he's trying to sell you some bullshyt. There are absolutely verses that Jay recorded multiple times.