Phil Davis vs The Dragon

PHamm

Superstar
Daps
does phil have ANY chance ? Im sensing that we're gonna see a lackluster fight with Machida beating him on the scorecards.

Jutt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Machida is gonna outstrike him. Phil's standup is :huhldup: Hes a great wrestler but Lyoto is too quick and unorthodox for Phil to setup his shot.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Why is Lyoto Machida fighting Phil Davis though when he's the #1 contender for Jon Jones' belt and won that position twice:patrice:

Dana White sucks:snoop:

Willy Waffle

Willy Da Waffleman
Daps
Reppin
#GIANTS #KNICKS #RANGERS
Why is Lyoto Machida fighting Phil Davis though when he's the #1 contender for Jon Jones' belt and won that position twice:patrice:

lmao, don't nobody hear no complaining from machida about sonnen and gustaffon getting a title shot before him. machida obviously aint that desperate for a title shot, he knows whats up with bones.

but anyway this is a horrible matchup for phil

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps

Since when did he win that position twice? :heh: After the Hendo fight is one, when was the other?

I'm happy they gave the shot to Gus and this is coming from a huge Machida fan. Gus is on a very solid 6 fight win streak and he's a fresh face for Jones. I'm not a fan of rematches when the first fight is decisive. Machida had his chance and now it's Gus's turn.

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
lmao, don't nobody hear no complaining from machida about sonnen and gustaffon getting a title shot before him. machida obviously aint that desperate for a title shot, he knows whats up with bones.

but anyway this is a horrible matchup for phil

Machida has said numerous times that he wants to rematch Jones. He's not like Sonnen however, he won't resort to talking his way into a title shot.

Jutt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Since when did he win that position twice? :heh: After the Hendo fight is one, when was the other?

I'm happy they gave the shot to Gus and this is coming from a huge Machida fan. Gus is on a very solid 6 fight win streak and he's a fresh face for Jones. I'm not a fan of rematches when the first fight is decisive. Machida had his chance and now it's Gus's turn.
Not to mention. Dana gave Lyoto first crack at Jones when Hendo pulled out of the fight. You turn down the champ, you gotta work your way back up. You cant have the whole division on stand still to wait for Machida to fight.

and @Newzz Joe Silva is the UFC matchmaker, not Dana

Newzz

Supporter
Daps

If you're a huge Machida fan, then you should remember that Dana White said the winner of Shogun vs Vera or Machida vs Bader would be the #1 contender for Jon Jones belt.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/8...n-jones-top-contender-following-win-ufc-fox-4

Lyoto Machida now top contender
Updated: August 6, 2012, 12:05 PM ET
By Franklin McNeil | ESPN.com
Former light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida earned a shot at regaining the title Saturday night with a second-round knockout of Ryan Bader in Los Angeles, UFC president Dana White said.

Machida will face either current 205-pound titleholder Jon Jones or Dan Henderson. Those two meet Sept. 1 at UFC 151 in Las Vegas.

White chose Machida over Mauricio Rua, who knocked out Brandon Vera in the fourth round of their UFC on Fox 4 main-event fight.

[+] Enlarge
Gary A. Vasquez/US PresswireAfter dispatching Ryan Bader, right, Lyoto Machida earned the top contender honor and will face either Jon Jones or Dan Henderson.

Before the event at Staples Center, White stated that the most-impressive winner of the two main bouts would become the division's top contender. And White determined that Machida had earned the honor.

"I think Lyoto Machida looked the most impressive tonight," White said on Fox. "Lyoto Machida right now seems to have this fire in him. He wants it; he wants that title back.

"He wants that shot at Jon Jones. Everything I see in this guy's performance, in the way he acts and the things that he says shows me that he wants a shot.

"And Lyoto you're going to get it."

Then because he didnt wanna accept a fight against Bones on short notice, like he did previously and was beaten, so White threw him back in line and made him earn the #1 spot for the 2nd time.....vs Henderson.

He beat Henderson, his 2nd time earning the #1 title shot vs Bones, and is now about to fight Phil Davis.

Dana White skipped over him twice and that's why Dana White is horrible:snoop:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Not to mention. Dana gave Lyoto first crack at Jones when Hendo pulled out of the fight. You turn down the champ, you gotta work your way back up. You cant have the whole division on stand still to wait for Machida to fight.

and @Newzz Joe Silva is the UFC matchmaker, not Dana

Yeah, but Dana White pulls the strings doesnt he? Machida has been waiting ever since he beat Henderson (in February of 2013) to fight Jon Jones who beat Sonnen in April of 2013.

Now, Bones is coming back to fight Gustaffson in September and Machida is fighting Phil Davis in August?:dahell:

That's garbage to me brehs and that's why I stopped following the UFC like that, because it changed from "earning" your title shots to "talking" you way into em:yeshrug:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Found my explanation......Jon Jones doesnt want to fight Machida right now, because he already destroyed him. Being that I'ma Bones stan, whatever he says goes:blessed:

Dana White reveals why he stiffed Lyoto Machida when picking Alexander Gustafsson to fight Jon Jones at UFC 165
By Jesse Holland @MMAmaniaNews on Jun 14 2013, 1:47p 125

20120808_gav_sv5_042.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Gary A. Vasquez-US PRESSWIRE
Stay connected

Over the last eight months, UFC President Dana White anointed Lyoto Machida the light heavyweight number one contender. So why isn't "The Dragon" fighting Jon Jones at UFC 165?

Tweet (11) Share (100) 125 Comments
Earlier this year, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White told reporters there was "no doubt" that Lyoto Machida was the light heavyweight number one contender after defeating Dan Henderson at UFC 157 and that "The Dragon" would receive the next title shot after Jon Jones defended his belt against Chael Sonnen at UFC 159.

See those comments here.

Then again, he also said the same exact thing right after Machida pasted Ryan Bader at UFC on FOX 4 last August (read it).
So why can't the Brazilian cash in on those two promises? Probably because Jones has no interest in fighting him again.

Jones said it after the Bader fight (here) and he said it again after UFC 157.

"I said that we will give the fight to Lyoto Machida," White told MMA Fighting. "But, Jon Jones was like, 'I annihilated Machida, I already fought Machida, I annihilated him, and I've never fought Gustafsson -- me and Gustafsson have some beef and that's the fight I really want.'"

In his defense, Jones finished Machida by way of second-round submission in the main event of UFC 140 from the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, back on Dec. 10, 2011. That's the same place he'll put his gold up for grabs against Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165 in September.

Champs picking their opponents?

That was a precedent set by Georges St. Pierre early last year. While Johny Hendricks had blasted his way to the top of the 170-pound mountain, "Rush" opted to first settle his differences with Nick Diaz, despite the fact that the Stockton slugger was coming off a loss, as well as a drug suspension.

At least "The Mauler" has a credible resume and an argument for being the division's top dog.

Not that it matters. Jones wanted to fight him and now will, and there was apparently nothing Dana White or Lyoto Machida could say to change his mind. And as we all know from the UFC 151 debacle, once "Bones" puts his foot down, its stays down.

Bum toe and all.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
Shouldn't be surprised that champs have say so in who they face. Vitor better pray Weidman wins that rematch because Silva doesn't want to fight him again either. And #1 contender status has always been shaky and never guaranteed. Remember Koch, who was suppose to fight Aldo last year and now is off the face of the earth?

Jutt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Shouldn't be surprised that champs have say so in who they face. Vitor better pray Weidman wins that rematch because Silva doesn't want to fight him again either. And #1 contender status has always been shaky and never guaranteed. Remember Koch, who was suppose to fight Aldo last year and now is off the face of the earth?
Dude got hurt didnt he? I always notice that when dudes get hurt, they lose their place in the pecking order.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
Dude got hurt didnt he? I always notice that when dudes get hurt, they lose their place in the pecking order.

Aldo got hurt and they just cancelled the shyt. Then I believe he got KO'd by Lamas?

Oh yea forgot to say that Davis has no shot against Machida whatsoever. For a physical wrestler he is unathletic as shyt. And if he can somehow manage to get Lyto down he wont be able to keep him there for a sub. I can see Machida finishing him since he wont be afraid of Davis's striking. Still shocked Davis took this fight. He should have waited for someone like Hendo or Bader at least.

Jutt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Aldo got hurt and they just cancelled the shyt

Oh yea forgot to say that Davis has no shot against Machida whatsoever. For a physical wrestler he is unathletic as shyt. And if he can somehow manage to get Lyto down he wont be able to keep him there for a sub. I can see Machida finishing him since he wont be afraid of Davis's striking. Still shocked Davis took this fight. He should have waited for someone like Hendo or Bader at least.

. I knew one of them got hurt. fukkin Aldo been Mr Glass lately.

Cosign on Phil. Dude has the most awkward standup i've ever seen. His wrestling isnt gonna save him from Lyoto's fast ass hands and movement.