Phonte Sends message To Fans & ABB Records - "We Havent Seen a Dollar | Update : IGTV vid

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Wish them the best, but was turned off to the group from an old interview. And the comment foreshadowed some of the financial problems they would have later, I guess.

A print magazine article from their heyday. Interview mentions them flopping at an important showcase/concert.
Phonte said "yeah, the crowd should have applauded us for not talking about x,y,z on our records"

Never heard rap artists cop pleas for not pulling off a great or good show. Never took the group seriously after that. Rap acts come up doing tons of shows, in different settings in front of different audiences. Either you slightly tailor your set to the audience, or your perform and let it be what it is. But you never ask for a participation trophy.

Groups that can perform well can always do dates, tours and eat....regardless of record sales.
I've been to shows where I didn't even know who the opening act was, and rocked with their performance.
The "y'all should applaud us on GP" is not it.
I remember this. I believe it was some BET concert where they got 0 reception basically said "we don't suck, the crowd does" :russ:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
They didn't sign a bad contract. Their contract is not being honored, and they'd rather not have to lawyer up and sue over it. They want Beni B to do the right thing and pay them what they're owed.
People in hell want ice water but we know how that go.

nikka better take his Foreign Exchange money and get what he's owed :ufdup:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
There’s nothing average about Charity Starts At Home, No News Is Good News, or May The Lord Watch

May The Lord Watch is their produced work since Minstrel Show
May The Lord Watch might be my favorite LB album period. It even if it’s not my favorite I think there’s an argument that it’s the best.

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
May The Lord Watch might be my favorite LB album period. It even if it’s not my favorite I think there’s an argument that it’s the best.

The first LB project I ever heard

I was a Mick Boogie stan and he posted it on his MySpace

iu

The first time I heard LB was when my driving instructor played Minstrel Show during my driving course. :laugh:

It was when Jeezy had the streets on lock in Virginia. It was a nice change of pace.

:ohlawd::ohlawd::ohlawd:

O-Dash rapped his ass off

It sounds like a J Dilla beat

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
The 2000s were really the absolute worst time to be a non-mainstream artist signed to a major label. 90s CD era, or 2010's streaming they would've been eating, but in the 00s, ESPECIALLY on Atlantic records, with the music sales dropping if you weren't making radio records you were fukked on the business side.
Dave Holmes wrote a good article about this on Esquire. Not about the money standpoint, but how that era's music is gone:
Why the Forgotten Music of the 2003 to 2012 Era Should Be Celebrated

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
The new album smell for these is long gone breh

Pooh actually has better solos than Phonte and thats wild
Pooh definitely has an underrated solo catalogue. A very underrated ones. Dope ass albums wnetirely produced by Apollo Brown, Nottz, Black Milk, and Focus...

But I love those 2 Phonte solo albums too.

Icewatermetallik

TheEastisintheHouse
Daps
In that case, if the contract isn't being honored then they def need to sue and take it to court.......Pooh and Phonte got enough bread to get a lawyer I'm sure.....you can't expect the ppl they with or the record label execs to do the right thing bc they won't.
They have to be forced by the courts

Mindfield333

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NC
Wish them the best, but was turned off to the group from an old interview. And the comment foreshadowed some of the financial problems they would have later, I guess.

A print magazine article from their heyday. Interview mentions them flopping at an important showcase/concert.
Phonte said "yeah, the crowd should have applauded us for not talking about x,y,z on our records"

Never heard rap artists cop pleas for not pulling off a great or good show. Never took the group seriously after that. Rap acts come up doing tons of shows, in different settings in front of different audiences. Either you slightly tailor your set to the audience, or your perform and let it be what it is. But you never ask for a participation trophy.

Groups that can perform well can always do dates, tours and eat....regardless of record sales.
I've been to shows where I didn't even know who the opening act was, and rocked with their performance.
The "y'all should applaud us on GP" is not it.
Lmao I think I remember that happening and tried to forget it. But let’s be honest, a lot of rap fans rely on name recognition when it comes to seeing an unfamiliar artist perform. I remember seeing someone referred to as a “fake rapper” because they weren’t on TV.

another thing I remember that made me chuckle a few years ago on social media is someone referred to Phonte as the comic book guy from the simpsons